• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Dynamic Discs peaked?

i posted this in other threads so ill drone on like the broken record i am

the flashing on their discs are their biggest downfall not their durability

the pure was a great mold and the saint was cheating easy d

but the flashing makes it difficult to love and to start with a fresh disc especially when there are so many great options on the market that come without flashing
I've not seen any manufacturer make discs consistently without flashing. Is it really that hard to take a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and sand off the flashing? I can't believe this is a barrier for people. :confused:

I admittedly throw more lucid/opto/vip. But I feel like gold,fuzion and tournament actually beat in slower. It's probably the fact that I throw less gold line, but they seem more stable out of the box. Maybe it's my sample size though. But I got some gold line visions that fly like saints. My opto vision was money for about a season but got SOOO flippy that it's almost useless. The gold line ones I bought are beefy AF (vision wise). Just curious if I'm the only one?

I feel like fuzion/TP/gold beats in more consistently than lucid/vip/opto. I've had Lucid discs hold at a stability for a long while, then all of a sudden they lose stability on one weird tree hit or a couple rollers. Fuzion on the other hand always beats in gradually for me. It does so typically a little quicker than lucid, but never as a result of one bad throw. Or I guess another way of saying that is that Lucid beats in via a series of steps while Fuzion beats in on a gradual line. At least that's been my experience, anyway.

That new chameleon/chameleon+glimmer run of Lucid/Opto/Vip that Trilogy is running looks pretty damn amazing. I think they're going to sell well. I wish my colorshift Zones and Buzzzes looked like this:
8289-2.jpg

That new chameleon/chameleon+glimmer run of Lucid/Opto/Vip that Trilogy is running looks pretty damn amazing. I think they're going to sell well. I wish my colorshift Zones and Buzzzes looked like this:
8289-2.jpg

It seems like they're starting to focus more on expanding plastic selection rather than simply pumping out a ton of molds :thmbup:

I've not seen any manufacturer make discs consistently without flashing. Is it really that hard to take a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and sand off the flashing? I can't believe this is a barrier for people. :confused:

never had flashing on mvp

50 50 with innova

discraft i only throw their mids but never had an issue

nice to see the trilogy apologists going the extra mile

It seems like they're starting to focus more on expanding plastic selection rather than simply pumping out a ton of molds :thmbup:

Yeah you think most companies would do this. Like they have their top selling molds and their staples. Once a mold has been in production for a few years and is a bottom tier seller then imo they should axe it. Cut their losses and try something new.

never had flashing on mvp

50 50 with innova

discraft i only throw their mids but never had an issue

nice to see the trilogy apologists going the extra mile

Worst flashing I ever had on a disc was on the Comet I had, of all things. Felt like you were holding a steak knife

Worst flashing I ever had on a disc was on the Comet I had, of all things. Felt like you were holding a steak knife

yeah i cant remember i know wasps and buzzes i havent had it but i also havent bought a new one in years

thats funny i wouldnt have guessed a comet i thought it was supposed to be this gentle and easy thing

Never had any flashing issues with any Discraft mids, especially not Comets. Both Trilogy and Kastaplast have been horrible.
At least Kastaplast is tough enough to not gouge when one is cutting the flashing off.

You have to look at it from the n00b perspective. Give me a disc with flashing and I sand it down and go on with my day. Give a brand new player a disc with sharp flashing and they are thinking "WTF, I'm not doing this" and there goes a potential disc golfer.

Having said that, I've owned over 1,000 golf discs in my life and I've sanded the flash off a 1/2 dozen or so. Either I'm really lucky or it's not all that common.

Both Trilogy and Kastaplast have been horrible.
At least Kastaplast is tough enough to not gouge when one is cutting the flashing off.
I never had flashing with my Kastaplast, I have about 30 discs so I guess I was lucky. None from my Discraft or MVP discs also. So far for me only some Innova and Trilogy discs had obvious flashing that need to be take care of.

To me, the thing that sets DD apart is all the tournaments they run. They bring the RV, lay out the merch, run a smooth tourney with friendly, charismatic staff, crank up the music before, between, and after rounds, and just make it a party. IDK if other companies are doing that in other geographic regions, but most other tournaments I've attended have been poorly run, have a staid atmosphere, or both. I think trilogy could fall apart and DD would just rock on and continue to expand.

Who would manufacture their discs? Would they become more like Infinite?

I could see them doing quite well as an Infinite type company that has a few of their own discs but mostly just sells other brands. I also think they could be a marketing company that other disc golf companies would contract for behind the scenes videos, commercials, filming smaller tournaments, etc.

A lot of these complaints are common with all manufacturers (flashing/inconsistency from disc to disc). I don't understand why Trilogy brands get bashed so hard. I DO get that their social media presence is more "in your face" than others, but that is the way all brands will be in the not too distant future. Just look at Discraft making an effort to post more "in the bags" and promos for McBeth and Pierce. You can easily unfollow to avoid that. For the record, I throw a mixed bag that leans heavily on Innova, so I'm not a fanboy. I DO however like the lucid/VIP/opto plastic for it's grip/flex though. For those who don't or want more champ/Z feeling plastic, they now offer Lucid-X/VIP-X for additional stability.

Never had any flashing issues with any Discraft mids, especially not Comets. Both Trilogy and Kastaplast have been horrible.

Maybe I haven't experienced this like others have because I don't really throw Trilogy drivers (other than the River). I will say that the first Opto-X Rivers (the Devan Owens ones) had pretty harsh flashing on one side, and it was made worse by how stiff the plastic is. They are so much more stable though that I'll deal with it.

I could see them doing quite well as an Infinite type company that has a few of their own discs but mostly just sells other brands....

They started as an online retailer, selling their custom stamps on other brands and clothes. It'd be tough for them to scale back to that. Who would throw discs from a company in sharp decline? It'd be like switching to the Prometheus after watching the ADGT bomb.

In regards to the flashing that people have mentioned, I am very liberal in the use of sandpaper on my discs.

When I get in a new order of discs, and choose one to try out, the first thing I do is look it over and sand out any rough or sharp edges on the outer and bottom rims.

It is my opinion that most every disc can use a bit of work to improve it. After all, these things are being mass produced, and it is not likely that any will be perfect out of the box.

I find that drivers generally need less work to get into a comfortable feel and condition. My DX and KC Pro Rocs, on the other hand, always require extensive sanding all along the outer rim to get rid of the line that results from the molding process.

Most of the people that I talk to about sanding discs have never tried it themselves before. But, when they feel the ones that I have sanded, and then hold a new disc out of the box, they admit that the difference is significant.

I use typical sanding sponges with medium to fine grit for all my sanding. Try it yourself to see that it does improve the hand feel of the discs.