• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has the Teebird been left behind?

I agree 100% on the 12x I had a couple opaque blues that were crazy beefy and refused to stay in the air. And yeah <3 Pier Park. Love this part of the country it's money when it comes to disc golf. Because of the wooded courses. A lot more Z Buzzz throwers around these parts than Dx Roc throwers. Most the really great players I know around here only use dx for rollers.

chickenonabun said:
I've been tempted to try PD's, but I dont think they'd fit that well as i'd rather have true fairway drivers rather than fairway-distance tweener discs. All the inconsistancies with them also don't encourage me very much, i think I'll just stick with my Eagles and occasional teebird attempts for now.
Replacing TB's with PD's didn't make sense for me, I think they are very different discs. If I dropped TB's after all these years I would pick up Eagles.

TB never quite suited the courses and it wasn't as straight as everyone touts them to be so it was never fully locked in my bag anyway. All of the PDs i own fade too much and i don't have any of the straightness level i've witnessed on one early loaner P PD 168. So the PD was main driver only for last summer for me. Leo/Stalker and Beast for me this season. With return to Leo later in the summer dropping the Stalker.

colombo117 said:
jubuttib said:
colombo117 said:
I went back to teebirds and am happy i did. They are very consistent in all plastics.
My Firebird overstable 12x Champ TBs would like to have a word with you...
I should say, somewhat consistent. I like the extra stability of the champs.

I would also like to add, that throwing my teebirds forehand as become my new secret weapon. They fly super straight when thrown this way.
Oh I do like the extra stability of the Champs. I have a couple that fly like a Champ TeeBird should. The ones I referred to however are crazy overstable. Throw them hard and flat and they just want to crash down before reaching 300'.

But yeah, it's Innova...

Back on topic: I really really really do like the TeeBird. Two things are keeping it from my bag: 1. no real space between my MD2s (powers up well) and TDs/PDs (power down well) and 2. I don't think I have a single hole on my home course where I'd need it. Well, maybe one, but I prefer my PDs for that.

jubuttib said:
colombo117 said:
I went back to teebirds and am happy i did. They are very consistent in all plastics.

Flat or domey? Clear or opaque? flight numbers or no? I haven't been able to find a beefy teebird in forever.

rusch_bag said:
jubuttib said:
colombo117 said:
Flat or domey? Clear or opaque? flight numbers or no? I haven't been able to find a beefy teebird in forever.
Domey, some clear, some cloudy/pearly (you can still see through them), some with flight numbers, some without.

Just check PLH.

himynameismatt said:
Peot said:
himynameismatt said:
However I have the same problem with TB's that I do Rocs. The really great ones cost a pretty penny.

DX Teebirds and DX Rocs are like $8

Uh yeah come to oregon and see how long DX plastic holds up. My home course is Pier Park. Check out the photos on dgcoursereview.

another oregon golfer here, my home course is tree top in The Dalles. i have had dx plastic ruin in one round up here. star/esp or champ/z are all you can throw here for anything faster then a putter.

A tye-dye Champ Teebird was the 2nd disc i ever bought about 4 years ago. First was a Star XCal, i thought the teebird was a midrange, hah. didnt' use it at all for a LONG time. One day me and a friend were emptying our bag just throwin drives and i ripped the Teebird with a slide Any on it and it glided further than any other disc i had. I was floored. Since then it's been my goto distance+Accuracy driver. Sadly that one was stolen, and i got another and the wind deposited it about 8 feet out into the abyss that was high grass/cattails of a lake. Just got a new one and it flies the same as the previous too. So now the battle is between that and my new vibram disc.. they fly quite the same. Love the Teebird.

What variations of Teebirds do you guys carry in your bag?

I have a used and abused 11x champ which has made me want to stop relying on beat-in S PD's for a workhorse driver.

I've never thought of a PD as a "tweener" fairway/distance driver. It is a distance driver, it is just extremely versatile at the same time. The only reason I don't have a teebird in my bag still is because I've found PD/QJLS to be a lot more versatile than PD/teebird.

The teebird will never be left behind, simply because there is no other disc that can duplicate its flight path and is so consistent across all the plastics that it is made in. The PD doesn't really fly like a teebird, it has too much high speed turn and the S/Cs have too much low speed fade. For comparison, the OLF is pretty much a duplicate of the eagle-x in a faster speed, and those two discs are much much closer in flight characteristics than the PD and teebird are.

I thought I could move away from teebirds as my game progressed. Tried the PD, didn't like trying to power down on them. Just not as good as lower power shots as a beat DX Teebird. Tried the stalker, but couldn't get the same distance out of them without really throwing harder than I wanted to. Tried the OLF, and while an amazing disc, it's more of a distance driver - and the hard to find 1.1s were the best iteration to this point. I'm back on the teebird now, and I pretty much always have a champ, star, new/beat dx in the bag all the time. I will say, however, that the S-FD is really very similar to a beat DX teebird. I'll probably continue to cycle dx teebirds along with the FDs, but mainly because of the natural progression of throwing a new one so often.

How do the newest TBs fly? I've been really digging my ex/Leo combo lately and I'm considering putting a TB in the mix. Now I'm thinking about an olf after reading some comments :p

victorb said:
The teebird will never be left behind, simply because there is no other disc that can duplicate its flight path and is so consistent across all the plastics that it is made in. The PD doesn't really fly like a teebird, it has too much high speed turn and the S/Cs have too much low speed fade. For comparison, the OLF is pretty much a duplicate of the eagle-x in a faster speed, and those two discs are much much closer in flight characteristics than the PD and teebird are.

I thought I could move away from teebirds as my game progressed. Tried the PD, didn't like trying to power down on them. Just not as good as lower power shots as a beat DX Teebird. Tried the stalker, but couldn't get the same distance out of them without really throwing harder than I wanted to. Tried the OLF, and while an amazing disc, it's more of a distance driver - and the hard to find 1.1s were the best iteration to this point. I'm back on the teebird now, and I pretty much always have a champ, star, new/beat dx in the bag all the time. I will say, however, that the S-FD is really very similar to a beat DX teebird. I'll probably continue to cycle dx teebirds along with the FDs, but mainly because of the natural progression of throwing a new one so often.

The statement of the PD turning is misleading because only some PDs will break into turning inside of 3 months of main driver use unless you throw to trees and rocks on each drives. The majority of PDs even at 150 S won't turn for a long while. P is different matter. I used DGR P PD 159 and 158 as main drivers in 2010 and it took three months to make them flip from flat despite using them a lot on my rocky home course with guaranteed rock landings. Granite not some soft sand stone. Can you say bedrock? How about hard?

Broken in to turning lighter P PDs power down better than non turning ones but the 159 and 158 faded the same or a hair more than the TBs.

I have an early S 150 that won't flip in moderate steady headwind. Gusts are a different matter with the swirling of the wind. And i have a worn S 168 that flips without wind. Some use C PDs as headwind drivers. That is the range of stabilities you get from PDs. They are the Rocs or actually better of drivers in covering all flight lines from overstable to rollers with proper rotation. Coming readily in two prime plastics doesn't hurt.

i had to look it up too lol. discmania freak. im new too and never tried discmania, but my buddy can rip a teebird so i might have to pick one of these up and show him whats up ha

I've been throwing newer run Echo Star Teebirds at max weight, and they fly exactly how you want Teebirds to fly. They are extremely high speed stable and have a late, but fairly strong fade. Unless I have lots of room to work with, if I'm throwing a driver, its almost always a Teebird.