• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Will Schusterick peaked?

Will seems to have plateaued. I won't say peaked because he still has plenty of years left in his prime. I think he needs a friendly rival to push his game forward. It is pretty easy to see how Paul and Simon/Paul and Nate push each other. Why isn't Prodigy sticking Will and Jerm on a bus touring the country? I think it would help both of them.

Wills long hyzer shots are amazing. His distance drives are good. His short game and finesse game is off. His putting is broken. His mental game is shaky. His confidence is absent.
He would still kick my ass on any course.

Agreed! His drives are amazing to watch. His form is liquid butter. lol.. I'm rooting for him to get back to the top.

Will seems to have plateaued. I won't say peaked because he still has plenty of years left in his prime. I think he needs a friendly rival to push his game forward. It is pretty easy to see how Paul and Simon/Paul and Nate push each other. Why isn't Prodigy sticking Will and Jerm on a bus touring the country? I think it would help both of them.

That would be awesome, he seems to enjoy doing clinics as well. Perhaps "plateaued" does make more sense, because even if he gets back to his "peaked" performance there's still plenty of room for improvement. I think he's what... 24 years old now? That is another good question, what is the typical age disc golfers peak at their ability? Seems like 5 years into their game most players have good consistency. Age wise I would guess 27-35 would be the ideal years for open players. :popcorn:

It definitely seems like the 'touring duo/crew' thing might have some merit.

Sexton has definitely come into his own and his game has gone to the next level traveling with Paul. Nates personality has really started to shine too.

Simon seems to have taken Eagle under his wing and his game seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.

Its definitely surprising that Prodigy doesn't have their top player out on the road in an RV with Jerm, Uli, etc. Feels like Will is maybe a bit more isolated from the rest of the Prodigy crew. Perhaps that is by his own decision.

Either way I hope he does well at BSF and gives Paul and Ricky a run.

There was a will documentary type deal on the YouTubes. He traveled with one or two prodigy guys but they weren't top notch so the whole steel sharpens steel thing doesn't seem to be applied. And, It was strange. You should check it out. Really glorified the tour life, sure to make you jealous :\

I heard that response... and I know what Judge Judy would say.

I'm still waiting for your verification that "his rating suffered" when he switched to Prodigy.

Unless you mean that "maintaining a rating in the 1040s" was "his rating suffering".
Easy there Judge Judy.

Considering how much Wysocki's rating was skyrocketing beforehand and still only 19 yrs old and still improving, I'd say stagnation was suffering. But it really was regression as his last six months with Innova are statistically the highest(1050) by a decent margin until recently. He started and ended Prodigy with 1042 rating. His peak rating with Prodigy was with the 6 months of Innova residuals still in there and he was still using some Innova discs.

USDGC and Worlds Results:
2012 - 2nd, 2nd - Innova
2013 - 23rd, 5th - Prodigy
2014 - 43rd, 2nd - Prodigy
2015 - 2nd, 2nd - Lat64
2016 - ?, ? Seems to be on a tear with Lat64 so far.

Other notable Prodigy players struggle with regression(some have also left):
Will Schusterick
Cale Leiviska
Paul Ulibarri
Manabu Kajiyama
Phil Arthur
Nikko Locastro
Bradley Williams
Garrett Gurthie
Paige Pierce

Sure Will may have peaked and perhaps is in need of a vacation:confused:

His 2015 year end World Ranking 3rd place finish doesn't leave a lot of room for advancement behind only Paul and Ricky:rolleyes: I'd say it took crazy commitment to get there and could understand some burnout.

You haters could relax on Will, he's one of the good guys.

I wish my peak was as good as Will's worst round LOL
But fans absolutely have the right to criticize and conjecture. I don't see anyone here saying they could do better than Will Shusterick, just discussing what could *possibly* be the causes of his recent performances. Now I don't know how much Will watches videos of himself, so it could be possible that fans of his that are posting here are more familiar with what his current crisis, if you could excuse the hyperbole, could be. There is also no discounting the outsider perspective on things. Having said all that, I am of the train of thought that Will is plenty aware of what the issue is (putting/consistent stroke therein) and is working to fix it.

He is still winning tournaments...A-Tiers even. He has 1 A-Tier win already this year, a 2nd in another A-Tier and 2nd in two B-Tiers. That's all to say nothing of his 72 (!) career wins.

So even with a wonky putting stroke, he is still good enough to be succesful. I would posit that he is struggling at the big Majors and NTs more than other events (though checking his PDGA stats he did not do well at the Tennessee State Championships this year) so possibly it's a pressure thing as well? I mean, his driving and upshots are on point...still some of the best in the world. All he needs is to find his putt again.

I will agree with the earlier post that Big Jerm is now the premiere male player on the Prodigy team now. However, I will say that Catrina is Prodigy's top player...even if PP is still on the team.

Haven't read through this thread but I remember in the off-season he posted about upping his game to the next level. I think that backfired on him and he turned disc golf more into a job which kind of is to him but that's when you lose the true reason why you originally started playing for the fun and love of the sport. Hate to say it but sometimes practice does not make perfect and just results into high expectations not met and frustration.

I wonder if he's had anyone try and work with him to iron out his putting. After all, no pro is above further training, as Paul did with Nate Sexton for his FH.

Easy there Judge Judy.

Considering how much Wysocki's rating was skyrocketing beforehand and still only 19 yrs old and still improving, I'd say stagnation was suffering. But it really was regression as his last six months with Innova are statistically the highest(1050) by a decent margin until recently. He started and ended Prodigy with 1042 rating. His peak rating with Prodigy was with the 6 months of Innova residuals still in there and he was still using some Innova discs.

USDGC and Worlds Results:
2012 - 2nd, 2nd - Innova
2013 - 23rd, 5th - Prodigy
2014 - 43rd, 2nd - Prodigy
2015 - 2nd, 2nd - Lat64
2016 - ?, ? Seems to be on a tear with Lat64 so far.

Other notable Prodigy players struggle with regression(some have also left):
Will Schusterick
Cale Leiviska
Paul Ulibarri
Manabu Kajiyama
Phil Arthur
Nikko Locastro
Bradley Williams
Garrett Gurthie
Paige Pierce

I guess we're gonna agree to disagree, because nothing about finishing 2nd, 5th, 490th is about ratings. He maintained 1040 throughout the entire time ... which, I might say, has only EVER been attained for more than 6 consecutive months by what -- 7 or 8 people in the history of the sport??? None of those other players you mentioned maintained their ratings and theirs was less than Rick's. Gimme a break on his rating "suffering," when he STAYED in the 1040s throughout 2 transitions.

I guess we're gonna agree to disagree, because nothing about finishing 2nd, 5th, 490th is about ratings. He maintained 1040 throughout the entire time ... which, I might say, has only EVER been attained for more than 6 consecutive months by what -- 7 or 8 people in the history of the sport???
Alrighty, but the math suggests he could have been 1050+ rated if he didn't switch.

None of those other players you mentioned maintained their ratings
That was part of my point. Despite the obvious regression of the other players of the same caliber, Rick was still young and improving enough to not see the same statistical regression as his peers.
and theirs was less than Rick's.
Sorry chief... Will's rating(1044) was actually higher than Rick's(1041) just before the switch. Lieviska was hovering at 1040 just before switching as well.
Gimme a break on his rating "suffering," when he STAYED in the 1040s throughout 2 transitions.
The Lat64 transition is a totally different situation, they actually had a full line up of discs.

I think it's a combination of things. He's never been a good putter by comparison to the best players. He got married, which does eat in to DG time for some, particularly if the wife doesn't play. Might be he got sidetracked by wedding planning, anyone who's been married can attest to the nightmares of wedding planning. Might be he got burned out, needed a break and sometimes you don't come back stronger. Might be he is tweaking form amidst all this other stuff.

I'd probably start with the putting and sprinkle a little bit of the others on top.

ah he is in a rut. if it matters to him he will get back to his old self. but his old self may not be good enough to keep up with paul and ricky. Id like to see another one or two golfers challenge the top. a two horse race is fun and all but...