• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello Im new from Bethlehem, PA

tpysher007

Hello all, Newbie to DG. started about 2 weeks ago and I got hooked quickly. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on how to have better control on my disks and get more distance. I was wondering if there are any beginner disks I should try. Also is there any other members in the area that would like to go out and play a round or two.

Welcome! Also new to the sport but improving every day! I started throwing a Valkyrie, Panther, and Aviar. However, I recently switched to a Krait Blizzard which is super lightweight (139g) and have added a ton of distance off the tee. On windy days it's harder to control but if you can learn to keep the nose down, it flies a long way. I also bought a Buzz for mid-range and like it a lot, super straight. I also found a Roadrunner with no name or number on it and I use it for forehands. Mark all your discs; a friend of mine had one returned to him by another player who found it the following week.

If you're new to the game and asking these question, you probably dont need to (shouldnt) throw the high speed stuff. learn form and control first and go from there. Putters and midranges are your friends right now. I like the X Comet for learning control and cleaning up your form. Practicing your FH with putters is a great too. BH as well. They really help you see any flaws and any OAT (especially FH). Poke around the boards in the form section, check out the stickies. A lot of your questions will be answered and you'll find a lot of good pointers

Welcome from PA, if you like Innova I would recommend picking up a Teebrid, Leopard or Leopard3 and a mid range that feels comfortable in your hand. Some popular ones are Roc's, Buzzz, Comets, Mako/Mako3; I took a liking to the Mako3 and DX Rocs.

As far as improving your game: I watch lots of videos on youtube coupled with tons of field work. I probably spend 3-5 hours a day doing field work. I recently put down my fairway drivers and mainly throw mids and putters in the field. I have a basket I like to put +/-280ft out guarded by some trees, I approach with mids and then putt a stack of putters from each disc. (I have 6 mids I generally throw for practice, from each Ill throw 5 or 6 putters)Rinse and repeat. If you feel like you're plataeuing, you could always post a form critique video on the forums as there are many experienced players on here who are always more than willing to help out.

Good luck and have fun!

Welcome from beautiful, sunny south Florida. I grew up in Allentown and still have superior knowledge of all the LV courses, save the new layout at Hackett's in Easton. Doubles are a great way to meet other DG'ers. South Mountain is a fun par 3 course and while most holes have clear lines that if you hit them you'll get looks for two, there are a lot of trees to contend with, especially off the fairway (trust me, I learned to play disc golf on that course). I wish when I learned how to play I had that nine hole course they now have behind the Hanover Township rec center off of Jacksonville Rd. It's mostly open with some holes having some trees, but nothing really tight. If you like to commute, Wehr's Dam is pretty fun. Nice heady mix of open and tight holes with nothing longer than 350. It's in Orefield, Covered Bridges Park, actually. You can get there either from Cedar Crest or 309.

Upper Macungie Park off 100 in Folgelsville is a short 18 holer, about half open, half wooded as well, and nothing really long either.

Best of it to you on the Lehigh Valley courses, I still remember them well.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I am doing very well on approach and putting but still learning how to get some distance down the field and trying to get control.

Latest posts