• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help tweak my bag...

Thats assuming he flicks ;) ... wouldn't something more overstable be better ... I dont really flick so I don't know personally, but my buddies all use overstable discs to flick

What does that mean - flick? Is that just a snap of the wrist shot? I generally use my whole arm, even when putting. Is an Orc anything like a Goblin? I know they don't make Goblins anymore, but I know a guy that just bought one, just wondering.

In response to Sidewinding, I talked to some guys at my course the other day and one guy said the Boss was for experienced players only and that I might not have the arm speed for it yet. His friend said, "Bullshit, buy one and learn how to throw it."

When I first threw my 175g Monarch it just dove left everytime. I quit throwing it for a few weeks thinking it was too heavy or too fast or something. Finally I decided to throw until I threw it well or throw it to someone who can. A few rounds later I was throwing long s curving drives and now anhyzers, too. So, I like the second guys advice, but is there any truth in some discs being geared for advanced players only?

Thats assuming he flicks ;) ... wouldn't something more overstable be better ... I dont really flick so I don't know personally, but my buddies all use overstable discs to flick

I, being a predominantly sidearm DGer, throw the Destroyer or Boss, but I've been throwing for over three years. I recommend the Orc because it was the disc I used to develop my sidearm. Now that my technique has improved, my power is starting to increase. With the increased power comes the need for a more overstable disc like the Destroyer. I personally think everybody should be able to throw both backhand and forehand. Maybe not both to perfection, but it certainly comes in handy on the disc golf course to be able to rely on both. You're right Valkyriefb11 I was making an assumption and we all know how that goes. But I was also making a recommendation that a new player to the game attempt to develop a sidearm in conjunction with his backhand. Should they take this advice, then it is my opinion that the Orc is a good beginner sidearm disc.

I, being a predominantly sidearm DGer, throw the Destroyer or Boss, but I've been throwing for over three years. I recommend the Orc because it was the disc I used to develop my sidearm. Now that my technique has improved, my power is starting to increase. With the increased power comes the need for a more overstable disc like the Destroyer. I personally think everybody should be able to throw both backhand and forehand. Maybe not both to perfection, but it certainly comes in handy on the disc golf course to be able to rely on both. You're right Valkyriefb11 I was making an assumption and we all know how that goes. But I was also making a recommendation that a new player to the game attempt to develop a sidearm in conjunction with his backhand. Should they take this advice, then it is my opinion that the Orc is a good beginner sidearm disc.

So, a flick is sidearm? I throw RHBH, but have been practicing sidearm for anhyzer shots and for distance. One of guys I play with drives sidearm and plays everything else RHBH. He can soar a disc off of the tee with seemingly no effort and easily outdrives the rest of us.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definately look for an Orc for sidearm shots.

I'd keep using sharks if you like them. Especially in star, they're incredibly consistent and forgiving once you get used to playing the fade.

If you're throwing that Wolf off the tee as a turnover disc, I might suggest a Leopard instead... DX, not too light, and beat it up ASAP. Once seasoned, it will glide for what seems like a mile, and will turn beautifully when thrown flat at full power (no need to worry about putting the right anny angle on it).

pick up 2 rocs. 1: 180 for putting some muscle in your mid ranges and for predictability in the wind and when it beats in its a straight flyer. 2: a 166-170g roc for a nice annie when beat in and a straight shot when released flat.

Thats cool, I was just saying.
I can throw side arm too, I usually just dont. And if the orc works as a beginner sidearm disc thats cool too. I like the champ orc anyway so it isnt a bad disc to have in the bag.

The Champ Orc was my baby. I had it in Carolina Blue in honor of my team. One errant shot and the disc is no more. It lies at the bottom of the pond at #7 at Cedar Hills. A moment of silence please.

Thank You.

So, I like the second guys advice, but is there any truth in some discs being geared for advanced players only?
There's more truth to that than a majority of disc golfers really admit.

It's not all the way up to date, but here's another article from DGR that talks about that some:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml

Here's a universal flight chart that has power requirements for each disc listed, too:

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgo...1.pdf?osCsid=1a38ed623f548937f302ab38faad6a7b

While it is possible to get extra distance out of discs above your power range, it generally comes at the price of you learning to actually throw discs farther. Many times it also has the down side of introducing bad habits into your throw to get faster discs to fly right.

A few things:

First, you already have a Wolf, so you dont need another understable midrange
For overstable midrange, I would recommend the Gator
Star gator is the most overstable midrange I have found, and in Star there is No Bead (the little ridge on the bottom), so it feels really nice in your hand. These are good because sometimes you need a precision midrange shot, not one that floats beyond the basket, like the shark and wolf can tend to.

For instance, if there is a steep hill, ravine, water, etc a few feet past the basket, you want a disc that will head right to the ground and stop there, not overshoot the basket. So thats my advice for that

For drivers, I would recommend you take the previous posters advice about the Boss. DONT GET IT. It will not help you gain distance, and will probably mess up your technique. Stick with the Monarch, until you outgrow it, and then perhaps try something like a Beast: a little longer longer, but still beginner-friendly. dont get the new high-tech drivers, you dont need them, and they will not help you.

For a fairway driver, Teebird is the way to go.

A few things:

First, you already have a Wolf, so you dont need another understable midrange
For overstable midrange, I would recommend the Gator
Star gator is the most overstable midrange I have found, and in Star there is No Bead (the little ridge on the bottom), so it feels really nice in your hand. These are good because sometimes you need a precision midrange shot, not one that floats beyond the basket, like the shark and wolf can tend to.

For instance, if there is a steep hill, ravine, water, etc a few feet past the basket, you want a disc that will head right to the ground and stop there, not overshoot the basket. So thats my advice for that

For drivers, I would recommend you take the previous posters advice about the Boss. DONT GET IT. It will not help you gain distance, and will probably mess up your technique. Stick with the Monarch, until you outgrow it, and then perhaps try something like a Beast: a little longer longer, but still beginner-friendly. dont get the new high-tech drivers, you dont need them, and they will not help you.

For a fairway driver, Teebird is the way to go.

Thanks! That seems like sound advice. My Shark does tend to float past, like you said. I started using my Predator to compensate for that, but I could tell it wasn't the best choice unless I was way out.
I'm definitely buying a Teebird next, everyone seems to agree on that. I'm not interested in the Boss, or anything similar, untill I can really rip a drive with some consistant accuracy, but glad you backed that up.
How do you know when you've "outgrown" a disc?

Thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I am now the proud owner of a Pro Teebird, for starters. I love ebay. I really appreciate all of the advice. I can't wait to learn some new discs this winter.
Just realized that disc flight chart link above is broken. Check out garublador's post, his link works.
Cheers!

What works for one person will be different for another...

Depends on "arm speed" or rpm ability... so to speak.

For any newer players i would suggest getting to know mid range discs really well.

They are your best friend when it comes to shaving strokes from your avg.

shark, stingray, roc, coyote, skeeter, on and on!!
take your pick... find one YOU like

As far as drivers, stay away from uber overstable, unless you have a lazer beam forehand or a strong backhand... uber overstable is more difficult to be accurate with. (again, newer players in mind)

Beginner friendly drivers!

sidewinder
roadrunner
valk
tbird

beat up wraith

i hear there are other disc manufacturers, but i could not tell you much about their products.

Last edited:

Latest posts