• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help tweak my bag...

Kentuckian

Par Member
I just started playing DG in Aug. '08 and have finally become comfortable and confident with my discs. I am ready to try some new stuff. What I've listed below is all I carry and all I've ever thrown (I have occasionally thrown my buddies discs, but not enough to really know them).

What is it I'm missing out on? What should I add to round out my arsenal? What is the must know/must have disc(s)?

Millennium Omega Super Soft Putter, 175g.
Innova DX Shark, 179g.
Innova DX Wolf, 169g, my fav for anhyzers
Discraft ESP FLX Avenger SS, 169g.
Discraft ESP Predator, 172g, fav hyzer/fade disc
Discraft Elite Z Xpress, 169g, driver
Innova Champion Monarch, 175g, driver

I also have a funky, rubber-edged Gateway/Quest Odyssey Control Driver, 159g, that I use for spike hyzers and weird shots around obstacles, because it usually sits and sticks.

Please help me figure out where to go next.

Help tweak my bag...

The recent trend of DGcourseReviews.com's unintentional innuendos continues.

You need a good midrange/approach disc. Get a Coyote. I prefer the Star Coyote.

I just started playing DG in Aug. '08 and have finally become comfortable and confident with my discs. I am ready to try some new stuff. What I've listed below is all I carry and all I've ever thrown (I have occasionally thrown my buddies discs, but not enough to really know them).

What is it I'm missing out on? What should I add to round out my arsenal? What is the must know/must have disc(s)?

Innova DX Shark, 179g.

I also have a funky, rubber-edged Gateway/Quest Odyssey Control Driver, 159g, that I use for spike hyzers and weird shots around obstacles, because it usually sits and sticks.

Please help me figure out where to go next.

What do yo use the Avenger for? How does that Monarch work for you?
How well does you putter work?

Bag tweaking...

I feel that if your adding a midrange, you already have the shark, go with the other end of the spectrum of stabilty, and get a Stingray...can't say enough about this amazing understable gem...

I feel that if your adding a midrange, you already have the shark, go with the other end of the spectrum of stabilty, and get a Stingray...can't say enough about this amazing understable gem...

I use my shark as my understable mid. They start out neutral but quickly work their way understable, at least in DX they do. I like rocs but you pay too much for the premium plastics- that's what lead me to the flx buzz. Although some were talking about the champ sharks being more stable- similar to a roc.

I use my shark as my understable mid. They start out neutral but quickly work their way understable, at least in DX they do. I like rocs but you pay too much for the premium plastics- that's what lead me to the flx buzz. Although some were talking about the champ sharks being more stable- similar to a roc.

A Stratus or a Stingray will make a great understable midrange

A Stratus or a Stingray will make a great understable midrange

I third that. The stingray is a must have all around disc.
Since you have a shark I'm not really sure you need a buzzz or a roc just yet as they are all pretty similiar to the shark, unless of course you really like the disc.

For a fairway driver I really like my Innova champ Teebird.

For a putter thats really personal preference, if you like what you've got stick with it. (although you might get another putter same make & weight for practicing and as a backup.)

How do you like your drivers and how do they work for you? ... because that would help knowing where to point you so that you can get a driver that will work for you.

Innova DX Shark, 179g.

You don't use the Predator for spike hyzers? :eek:

I guess your Xpress is your control driver? You would probably benefit from something more stable in that slot. An Innova TeeBird or Innova Eagle are pretty common for that slot.

Just to be the voice of dissension, if you have a Wolf you have no need for a Stingray or Stratus. Also, the Buzzz would completely overlap with the Shark. I'd advocate replacing the Shark with a Buzzz, but not adding to it. Anyway, with a Shark-Wolf combo you need an overstable mid like a Discraft Wasp or Millennium Sentinel to fill out your midrange selection.

You have the Predator for you overstable driver. I'd ditch the Odyssey discs and use the Predator for those shots. The Avenger SS and Monarch overlap quite a bit. I'd pick one. The Omega is a good putter, so you are set there.

That's my $.02.

What do yo use the Avenger for? How does that Monarch work for you?
How well does you putter work?

I just became really attached to my Monarch. I used to use it for tomahawks, but now I can throw long S curving drives with it (are these called turnovers? - noobie). Hyzers when using less arm speed, decent Anhyzers that fade back a bit at the end and rollers! It has become my go to driver for many different shots.
I throw the Avenger straight and low, helps get me throw tight fairways and low ceilings. I like the feel of the FLX plastic alot.
and can't live without my Omega SS 175g. I started with a 150g DX Aviar. It was way too light and I didn't like the feel. The Omega SS is perfect for me.
What's the fuss with Rocs, I see them online all the time and read about them, but have never held or thrown one, am I missing out?

I think this article describes the best way to build a bag:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml

That is a great article. Thank you for sharing the link. I am really new to DG, but play at least 3xs a week, sometimes 5-6, and now I have a practice basket in the yard, too. 30 min. a day putting, everyday. These DGCR forums have been really educational. Thanks to all.

Based on what everyone has said so far, I am thinking of shelving the shark and trying out the FLX Buzz (really like the feel of the FLX and it's cold now!).

The Xpress is my control driver, the Predator my overstable, the Monarch for everything else.

So, I'm looking for a more stable driver? Teebird seems to be the most recommended. I'm going with that.

and midrange,
understable: Stratus or Stingray seem to be the popular choices.
overstable: Discraft Wasp or Millennium Sentinel

This would add a Teebird, Buzz, Stingray (understable mid), 1 overstable mid. and an extra putter for practise/back-up.
Sound good?

Sorry, tomjulio ("The recent trend of DGcourseReviews.com's unintentional innuendos continues."), I couldn't help myself.:D
!

Sorry, tomjulio ("The recent trend of DGcourseReviews.com's unintentional innuendos continues."), I couldn't help myself.:D
!

Yeah! Someone in here has a sense of humor!

Think you are going to outgrow your Monarch pretty soon too. I am maybe about five months ahead of you on throwing (although over the summer I played huge courses 3x a day for two months). I loved that disc until my technique and power overtook it.

You might want to try a Discraft ESP Surge as your main driver at some point.

You need a disc you can flick. I recommend an Orc as a good beginners sidearm disc.

Thats assuming he flicks ;) ... wouldn't something more overstable be better ... I dont really flick so I don't know personally, but my buddies all use overstable discs to flick