• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection

I was at HH for a few hours earlier this summer, and fell in love with the place. I might be able to help out for a week or so sometime in September/October. What did you do for housing? I guess I'm asking what is available (shelter, bathrooms, showers, cooking, etc.) for any folks who are interested in helping out.

Thanks for any info.

On a semi-related note, is there any more information on the Honka house?
I lived in a tent the last two years, Buzzflicker lives in an old deer blind or sleeps in a hammock, living conditions are spartan. Portapottys on the hill and at the Gold 12 campground, a faucet at the Gold 12 location, electric at the clubhouse, a microwave, no showers, no water on the hill at all.

I won't be giving any more Honka updates.

Ive found the key to a sound nights sleep is making sure to drink an adequate amount of beer. I sleep like a baby. Wake up and take my morning piss in disc golf paradise. I inhale air that is clean and crisp but wary knowing around every corner awaits a view to take that very breath away. The primitive nature of our living conditions only keeps us rooted in what the Highbridge dream is about. As opposed to being in an ivory tower, we share some of the experiences of our guest which paints the picture for ways to improve from the ground up. A true grassroots revival and personally I love the ride just as much as seeing the progress. As summer winds to an end, soon I will be basking in all the modern comforts and conveniences of home, but I know always without a slightest doubt my heart will always be at Highbridge Hills Disc Golf Megaplex. I'm grateful for everyone involved through out the process but I also think we are in a comfortable position moving forward. With the growing season winding down perhaps next year, with some planning, would be more productive for volunteer work.

Ive found the key to a sound nights sleep is making sure to drink an adequate amount of beer. I sleep like a baby. Wake up and take my morning piss in disc golf paradise. I inhale air that is clean and crisp but wary knowing around every corner awaits a view to take that very breath away. The primitive nature of our living conditions only keeps us rooted in what the Highbridge dream is about. As opposed to being in an ivory tower, we share some of the experiences of our guest which paints the picture for ways to improve from the ground up. A true grassroots revival and personally I love the ride just as much as seeing the progress. As summer winds to an end, soon I will be basking in all the modern comforts and conveniences of home, but I know always without a slightest doubt my heart will always be at Highbridge Hills Disc Golf Megaplex. I'm grateful for everyone involved through out the process but I also think we are in a comfortable position moving forward. With the growing season winding down perhaps next year, with some planning, would be more productive for volunteer work.

It's killing me not being there. Life is a swirling sucking whirlpool of despair without HH, empty and meaningless. I'll never be the same again.:\

It's killing me not being there. Life is a swirling sucking whirlpool of despair without HH, empty and meaningless. I'll never be the same again.:\

There's always real estate available in Gogebic/Iron counties. Not that it's that inviting but it's close *shrugs*

I played at Highbridge for the first time at the end of July after 13 years of wanting to make it there. I had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back one day.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time while I was playing and after I left thinking about what 18 hole layout could I put together if I were going to run a pro tour event based on the current condition of the property. This is what I came up with:

Blueberry 2
Blueberry 3
Blueberry 8 (I would actually want to play this hole to Blueberry 9's basket which would make the length more of a legitimate pro par 4 with a more challenging approach shot)
Blueberry 10 (I would actually want to play this hole to Granite 13's basket which would make the hole about a 900 foot par 5)
Granite 14
Granite 9
Granite 10
Granite 8 (I would actually want to play this hole to Granite 6's new long pin [or maybe a new pin altogether] by the newly cleared out area by the water which would be about a 600 foot par 4)
Granite 12
Blueberry 11 (I would actually want to play this hole to Granite 17's basket to make the hole more of a legitimate pro par 4 in terms of length)
Granite 18
Gold 1
Gold 2
Gold 3
Gold 4
Gold 5
Gold 6
Gold 18

This 18 hole layout measures right at 10,000 feet at par 70-72 (72 with the longer alt pins for Blueberry 10 and Granite 8). I think this would be an amazing layout that features all of the different variety that Highbridge has to offer while incorporating the majority of the signature holes on the property.

There are a couple of other holes and areas that I would love to incorporate as well but there is no real way to connect them with other quality holes, certainly not within an 18 hole layout.

Let me know what you think of this layout!

Agree with several holes but some holes on The Bear need to be included. The Bear by itself was at least in the top 5 SSAs, possibly the highest at 72 for a 1000-rated round among all 2019 PDGA events and it did it with no OB. Here's a different routing that includes several of your holes. Since it would be tee time rounds, no need to have the last hole finish near the first hole. So:
1 Granite 3
2 Granite 17
3 Granite 18
4 Bear 1
5 Bear 3
6 Bear 4
7 Bear 14
8 Bear 17
9 Bear 18
10 Gold 1
11 Gold 2
12 Gold 3
13 Gold 4
14 Gold 5
15 Gold 6
16 Gold 7 (new longer tee)
17 Gold 8 tee reversed to gold 18 pin
18 Blueberry 2 (from gold tee) [last hole in PW2007 Final 9]

We'd shave a few strokes off of listed pars on holes and probably set par between 63-65.
FPO could play the same layout but from several existing shorter concrete tees.
Lots of good viewing places for spectators on the early and late holes with enough room for video teams on the more wooded Bear and Gold holes.

Awesome. Thanks for your reply!

I have no doubt that The Bear is one of the hardest courses in the world. Respectfully, I was not a huge fan. I found it unfair in many spots-- and the few spots I did like are just too far removed from the rest of the quality holes on the property to connect them. For me, it was a lot of throwing good/great shots that landed in the fairway but had no real next shot because of the angle to the basket/angle of the fairway or the placement of trees. Any hole can be extremely hard if it is long enough with enough trees and enough sharp angles. I prefer a little more fairness for the player, even if that means sacrificing a little bit of difficulty. And I shot a 70 on it of which I was extremely proud so my opinion is not one based on "I scored awful therefore I don't like it." I actually told my wife when I finished "that is the 1 time I will ever play that course."

I thought the front 9 of Highbridge Gold was probably the best 9 hole section I've ever played. I loved it! I like your idea of playing 8's tee in reverse to 18's basket.

Granite Ridge was probably my favorite complete 18 on the property. I guess that's no surprise since, from what I gather, that course was unaffected by all of the changes coming from land disputes and such. Some of it wasn't extremely challenging (some of it was) but the views and just the overall ambiance was amazing. I wish I could have played Blueberry and Gold before the changes. I loved the parts that were original. To me, Blueberry 2 is a perfect starting hole for a major event. A nice, relatively easy par 3 for the players (way too easy for a finishing hole, in my opinion) and tons of room for viewing for the spectators.

I've been following Highbridge for a long time, especially since the new ownership took hold. It's obvious how much work has been done. I wish I could have played it at its original peak but it's phenomenal as it is currently and I can't wait to see how it evolves and improves in the future! Thank you and everyone else involved for all of the effort!

Your critique of The Bear is fair and also parallels mine. Note that only 8 holes are still close to my original design prior to PW2007 and some of them have gotten overgrown a bit too much on the edges of the fairway. Thinning the brush on the edges of all Bear fairways so players have a chance to execute a reasonable recovery shot has been an ongoing effort, especially by daCrippler from what I understand. Up to a third of The Bear course will eventually be shifting into untapped property to make room for shifting some of the Gold course at some point. But that's farther down the priority list from getting Granite and Blueberry set up again as well as possible. Woodland Greens should be unaffected by current plans other than keeping it in good shape.

Your critique of The Bear is fair and also parallels mine. Note that only 8 holes are still close to my original design prior to PW2007 and some of them have gotten overgrown a bit too much on the edges of the fairway. Thinning the brush on the edges of all Bear fairways so players have a chance to execute a reasonable recovery shot has been an ongoing effort, especially by daCrippler from what I understand. Up to a third of The Bear course will eventually be shifting into untapped property to make room for shifting some of the Gold course at some point. But that's farther down the priority list from getting Granite and Blueberry set up again as well as possible. Woodland Greens should be unaffected by current plans other than keeping it in good shape.

I thought Bear was completely fair when I was there earlier this year.*

But I also played it at it's worst, so I saw how bad it can be when overgrown and not mowed well.

72 is 1000 on Bear?

Well then I don't feel so bad that 79 is my tops (through like 5 rounds on it). I really think I could hit 72 (despite not being anywhere near 1000 rated). Just gotta avoid that 1 hole where I take a 6 on one that's 3-able or a 7 on a relatively easier par 4. And gotta hit those 2 or 3 that are possible 2s. Easier said than done I spose.

*Except hole 2. I don't like that 90 degree turn 100 ft off the tee.

Agree that 2 is too sharp of a bend. (Not my hole ;)) It may be modified or possibly reversed and merged with 17 to make 17 into a par 4 at some point.

I threw a tomahawk over all the trees directly at the basket and managed to land on the edge of the fairway for a somewhat easy up-and-down 3. The fairway seemed like an impossible throw.

I did that a couple of other times as well.

Every time, I try to baby a Tursas around the corner. Usually i miss right, clip the corner and go WAY bad.

Last time I finally hit and it still wasnt sharp enough. Threw a great forehand roller escape, missed the 25' 3 save. :(

I think next time Ill just play to the corner and try to park the long, open upshot down the whole fairway.

I think next time Ill just play to the corner and try to park the long, open upshot down the whole fairway.

That was my plan both times this year. Failed miserably each time 😡

I'm with you on thinking it is in much better shape than the first time, and only time until this year, that I played it. I was very irritated looking for shots that landed in the fairway and barely being able to find them the first time. My wife gave up about halfway thru back in 2013. The first and only time she's ever done that. I took my lumps 😁

Up to a third of The Bear course will eventually be shifting into untapped property to make room for shifting some of the Gold course at some point.
Let's call a spade a spade. The reason for abandoning the back 9 on Gold is Slicks junkyard on Gold 10 and his other junkyard near the honka house that he refuses to clean up. It's also one of the reasons the honka will be very, very difficult to sell. No one wants to move in next to a hoarder.:cool:

I am not connected to HH at this time and this is my personal opinion.

Another phenomenal Highbridge is in the books.

This past week we did a 6 vs 6 Ryder Cup competition of Wisconsin (home) vs Colorado (away), here is our format....

Thursday 9/17
3vs3vs3vs3 Blueberry Best Shot

Friday 9/18
Bear Individual Stroke
Gold Individual Stroke

Saturday 9/19
Blueberry Individual Stroke
Woodland Doubles Alternate Shot
Granite Doubles Best Shot

Sunday 9/20
Woodland Individual Stroke
Granite Individual Stroke

Couple of notes....
-There was a guy on this thread who talked about Bear not counting towards the best 18 holes at Highbridge. That guy needs to man up. Bear was stunning and in immaculate shape, lanes are more open and it's difficulty is for disc golfers who know how to get through the pain of a bad hole. Bear remains a favorite of ours and we are thrilled with news regarding it's expansion
- The Granite changes are very impressive. Granite was in the best condition of all the courses.
- How cool is it that Highbridge is ran by Tom? I'm a big fan of communication to avoid unfortunate surprises.... There was a music fest going and Tom was great to work with ensuring our groups didn't run into other groups also playing A doubles format.
-love all the new pins! No excuses for missed putts now!
-Team Wisconsin (Huskerdoos) won

Just dropping by to announce that I just upped my review of The Bear course by a full disc to a 4.5. Played it last week and it is so clean and pristine, and so beautiful. That plus the fact that they got new orange Prodigy baskets the day after I played, really brings me to feel like this is the best course currently at the property. No joke.

Let's call a spade a spade. The reason for abandoning the back 9 on Gold is Slicks junkyard on Gold 10 and his other junkyard near the honka house that he refuses to clean up. It's also one of the reasons the honka will be very, very difficult to sell. No one wants to move in next to a hoarder.:cool:

I am not connected to HH at this time and this is my personal opinion.

Maybe if the property is out for a while and is being sold by the county, city, whatever is not private, then Highbridge Hills owner might be able to buy the land up when price lowers enough then get it moved into the land the Highbridge Hills owner has already. Of course this is a longshot and only works if being sold the property as public.

Maybe if the property is out for a while and is being sold by the county, city, whatever is not private, then Highbridge Hills owner might be able to buy the land up when price lowers enough then get it moved into the land the Highbridge Hills owner has already. Of course this is a longshot and only works if being sold the property as public.

I see there's a new confirmation of sale hearing on 11/3 in Ashland so maybe this time it will be sold. From what I hear the last delay was over problems with the deed so I assume that has been resolved. I have no idea what conditions of the sale are but the amount of the foreclosure was 268K so you do the math. It's an upside down money pit that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.:cool:

Latest posts