• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Im pretty sure its John's sons who own the lots on gold. I talked to Eric today and he seemed more than willing to part with it. His lot is the one with the cabin and the other is Peters. Both sons are much more pleasant than their father.

Eric's lot is a gem! Hole 11 plays across in front of the cabin porch. At this point the cabin is an unfinished shell. Done up right it will bring in over $1500 a month (summertime) on AirBnB.

Slic owns lots which get played on holes 9 and 10. Hole 11 plays over Eric's lot. I'm not certain about holes 12 and 13, but I believe they use John's lots. Holes 14 and 15 are on either Roger's or Slic's lots. There is virtually no play on Peter's lot.
I don't think you can find any boundary or survey markers. I know where mine are!
My bad. Slick owns the corner lot to the west of Erik and the one to the north along Poppe Rd. and he also has the lot west of the honka and the lot just to the south of that. Roger owns the three lots west of Slicks lot next to the honka which have 14 and 15. He also has a lot to the north of those near 17 Gold.

Eric's lot is a gem! Hole 11 plays across in front of the cabin porch. At this point the cabin is an unfinished shell. Done up right it will bring in over $1500 a month (summertime) on AirBnB.

The cabin on Erics land needs a door, windows, exterior siding and interior furnishings. That's about it. The pump house is just on the other side of 12 fairway you could have running water pretty easily.

I would wait to hear more before you plan anything but I would be optimistic the courses are playable. As for accommodations . . . that might have to be a wait and see situation as the campground is shut down. Not sure if any of the buildings/cabins on the property are currently usable and not Johns or private owners property. Plenty of locals on this board will be sure to post I am sure. I will also have my ear to the situation as I plan for my 2019 tourney plans which I hope include Highbridge at least a few times.

I would wait to hear more before you plan anything but I would be optimistic the courses are playable. As for accommodations . . . that might have to be a wait and see situation as the campground is shut down. Not sure if any of the buildings/cabins on the property are currently usable and not Johns or private owners property. Plenty of locals on this board will be sure to post I am sure. I will also have my ear to the situation as I plan for my 2019 tourney plans which I hope include Highbridge at least a few times.

The courses weren't in bad shape last year despite John you can look back in the forum and guest were generally pleased but some of the tee pads show age and are cracked/damaged. I think the problem was more you may be breaking the law or ask to leave if you try and get out there. The bunkhouse should be good to go but the showers are another story.

MM:

1. Is it safe to plan a spring trip to HH?
2. Will there be accomodations? (or should we plan on Ashland?)

There are a lot of unknowns that do make these questions difficult. Let me tell you some things I know.
I know that MM is placing a priority on disc golf and that means having playable courses first and foremost. I would have no problem personally with planning a gathering of my friends any time after about April 15 - when the weather is okay.
Right now the only accomodations available at the course are in the Honka house. The campground (which includes Chestnut and the bunkhouse and shower house) are still closed by the county. There is a lot of work that needs to be done before they will allow it to open.
The work will get done, but it is winter and plumbing in winter presents some special challenges.

First, I am really, really glad that Highbridge may be coming back to its original intent; a great destination with multiple amazing courses. MM, I am rooting for you, and hope you can get it fixed...but I'm sure you know there's a lot to do. My friends and I made a pilgrimage to Highbridge about 9 years ago. The disc golf was great. Everything else was NUTS. We tried not to get caught up in the whirlwind of John's craziness, but it was difficult. That being said, since this thread still has a humorous element, I'll share some of our interactions:

1) One night at the Honka House, someone started banging on the door at about 2 in the morning. After being extremely scared, we heard John's voice and opened the door. He sat down and just rambled to us for about an hour. Then he asked, "why did you guys lock the door?" Well, to keep creepy people from barging into the house in the middle of the night.

2) John told us that we needed to come back for the lawn mower races he was about to start holding. We came from Tennessee and definitely weren't going back for lawn mower races. He also told us about his idea for a Hot Air Balloon festival. I am going to assume that never happened.

3) Lastly, and the most bizarre, John told us about playing Chestnut at night. We thought it sounded interesting, and maybe that opened the door in the conversation for it to go somewhere completely strange. He looks at the 4 of us and says, and this is a direct quote "Some guys just play it in their underwear. Maybe you want to try that?" We all stood there looking shocked. He completely misread our expressions and continued, "Well, if you didn't bring any underwear, I have some Highbridge Hills boxers you can buy". No joke. First off, why would someone ask a group of 30-year old dudes to play the course closest to the road, at night and in their underwear? Secondly, why would you then assume by our shocked faces, that we must have been thinking, 'Dang, if only I'd brought underwear'.

On a positive note, we met an older teenager that was helping with the groundskeeping. He told us John was full of it. At least then we had justification to believe that all of our interactions with him were not imagined.

Great 3 days of disc golf. Crazy place. Good luck, MM. I hope to make the long trek again soon...and not find lawn mower races, pig wrestling, pond hockey, a white tiger in a dress, Mario Lopez, or any of the other crazy things John had in his mind.

Last edited:
3) Lastly, and the most bizarre, John told us about playing Chestnut at night. We thought it sounded interesting, and maybe that opened the door in the conversation for it to go somewhere completely strange. He looks at the 4 of us and says, and this is a direct quote "Some guys just play it in their underwear. Maybe you want to try that?" We all stood there looking shocked. He completely misread our expressions and continued, "Well, if you didn't bring any underwear, I have some Highbridge Hills boxers you can buy". No joke. First off, why would someone ask a group of 30-year old dudes to play the course closest to the road, at night and in their underwear? Secondly, why would you then assume by our shocked faces, that we must have been thinking, 'Dang, if only I'd brought underwear'.

THAT is solid gold!

Not sure if I want to visit Highbridge now that John is out of the equation. Sounds like he was the life & soul of the place. ;)

I can't believe the number of you who were actually brave enough to stay at Highbridge. When we were planning our first trip to HBH I took one look at this thread and noped right out of any kind of overnight. One look at the Honka when we got there was enough to make us feel confident in our choice.

I can't believe the number of you who were actually brave enough to stay at Highbridge. When we were planning our first trip to HBH I took one look at this thread and noped right out of any kind of overnight. One look at the Honka when we got there was enough to make us feel confident in our choice.

I was with ZMan. It was 2011. The Honka House was billed as "new" back then.

And his post only hit some highlights of our encounters with John, but there was actually so much more, oh sooooo much more. In fact, it would be hard to believe this entire thread unless you have had the Highbridge-John Experience first hand, which we did. Amazingly, this stuff is all true. It all does make for great entertainment and fantastic memories. That being said...

I also hope HH can become what it has the potential to be. Before last week I had no plans to ever go back. Don't know if I still ever will, but at least now I would consider another trip up there one day if things improve like we all hope they will.

its kinda hard to tell but it looks like he still owns the main access?
I don't think so. It looks like he can be denied access to the back of the honka house and the only legal way is from the south on the right of way that branches off the main road near #5 Blueberry. I'm not sure who owns the parking lot and clubhouse area but I believe that's part of what MM now either owns or controls.