• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highest quantity of same mold in your bag?

victorb said:
PMantle said:
There is no statement in this question. It is purely a question. How can 4 putters of the same mold be that different?

different plastics and stages of wear can net very different flight paths, even if they are all the same mold.

I carry 5 pds - 2 cpd, 2 spd, and 2 ppd. Next is comet with 3, and judge with 3.
You might want to check your math on the PD's ;)

I usually carry 4 pds myself, 1cfr, 2S and a P. I carry 3 zones usually as well, Z, FLX and ProD

victorb said:
PMantle said:
There is no statement in this question. It is purely a question. How can 4 putters of the same mold be that different?

different plastics and stages of wear can net very different flight paths, even if they are all the same mold.

I carry 5 pds - 2 cpd, 2 spd, and 2 ppd. Next is comet with 3, and judge with 3.
Oh, I know from experience with drivers and fairways. Do putters really change that much?

victorb said:
PMantle said:

Plus different weights, especially with putters.

PMantle said:
victorb said:
PMantle said:

Oh, I know from experience with drivers and fairways. Do putters really change that much?

They do, particularly overstable putters like Wizards. Over the course of years, their flights change a ton. The difference is more pronounced the harder you throw them. In many cases people reserve one or two of their putters for putts only and use several others for approaches and drives. That can drive up the total number of putters in your bag as well.

CatPredator said:
PMantle said:
victorb said:
PMantle said:

They do, particularly overstable putters like Wizards. Over the course of years, their flights change a ton. The difference is more pronounced the harder you throw them. In many cases people reserve one or two of their putters for putts only and use several others for approaches and drives. That can drive up the total number of putters in your bag as well.

D Ringer might be the greatest example of starting out as a fast long overstable driving putter ending up as a flippy but still well flexing and fading in weeks of main driving duty on harsh courses. Which is why it is nice that DGA Breaker is supposed to be premium plastic Ringer lasting longer.

PMantle said:
Weight and texture.

175g, smooth: most putts inside 25' or so, windy putts, upshots
175g, eraser-soft: better grip in wet conditions
165g, smooth: long putts, short upshots
168g, super soft: long putts in wet conditions, touch annie flicks

I usually like to take two putters to my lie and pick one at the last second depending on how it feels in my hand.

mark12b said:
PMantle said:
Weight and texture.

175g, smooth: most putts inside 25' or so, windy putts, upshots
175g, eraser-soft: better grip in wet conditions
165g, smooth: long putts, short upshots
168g, super soft: long putts in wet conditions, touch annie flicks

I usually like to take two putters to my lie and pick one at the last second depending on how it feels in my hand.

For the first time I have a newer IDENTICAL pair of Wizards that are 171 g and dedicated to putting only.
I then carry two throwers, one that is 172-175 g, newer, and still fairly stable to overstable, and one that is 169 g, well-worn, and straight to understable. They complement each other perfectly.

I'm currently carrying 4 different Eagles:
1 fairly new DX
1 11x Champion X
1 11x Champion L
1 12x Champion L

Then I have 3 MVP Ions, two medium, one soft, all in neutron plastic.

PMantle said:
What does eraser mean?
Like the eraser at the end of a #2 pencil -- has a toothy, non-shiny surface texture. You can kind of see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-S-Eraser-Wizard-170-175g/dp/B00A6ULKUI

For me this texture works great when wet but it gets too slippery in dry, dusty conditions.

Gateway term.

I guess I'll play too. Pure, I carry at least five at any given time. One Opto, one TM2, three EZE's, and maybe one old run Zero to make a total of six.

Latest posts