• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hills and rolling discs

if your bag is in the way of a disc, it should be moved. if it wasnt put there by the people who designed or maintain the course, it should be out of the way.

The way I interpret the rule is that you don't have to get your (self/bag) out of the way, but you also don't have to stay put. As long as you aren't intentionally changing the natural course of the disc, you're fine.

I wouldn't move my bag; If I were reaching for my bag, and while reaching hit the disc somehow, it might appear that I had intentionally reached out to the disc to change its path.

As for the lost disc question, I think PDGA should adopt a rule similar to the "plug ball" rule in ball golf. If all players in a group agree that the disc came to rest in the fairway, but cannot be found, the disc shall be played from the agreed upon spot with no penalty.
I don't want a (effectively) 2 stroke penalty for some ramdom kid/dog/squirrel/etc running off with my disc around some blind corner. Also, discs get hidden underneath cut grass or leaves pretty often. When it happens, and the disc isn't found in time, everyone agrees (in my experience) that it's b/s that the person has to re-tee with penalty.

Last edited: