• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole lengths a need?

I like the signs that show the position of the basket along with major features in/around the fairway such as stream beds, islands of trees or large trees in or on the edge of the fairway. This info is especially useful on blind holes where I cannot see the basket from the tee pad area. I can judge distance pretty well but I cannot see threw trees over hills or around corners. Distances posted on signs is generally wrong anyway. To me it's more helpful to know that the fairway doglegs hard right at that big pine tree on the right than the total distance to the basket.

I agree, like a caddy book for Golf tournaments. I love when courses do this. I always take distances as approximations because, like everyone is saying, you don't know who decided or by what metric they measured. That said, I absolutely use posted distances when deciding my line. I like to think I can approximate whether the sign is at least ballpark accurate or not.

Anyone ever notice that every course listing on here has a hole info page? Anyone think that the distances on those pages might be useful to folks to get a feel for what the course might be like before they go play it in the real world? Anyone know how probably most of the hole distance numbers got onto those pages?

So yeah, I'd say they serve a purpose.

Anyone ever notice that every course listing on here has a hole info page? Anyone think that the distances on those pages might be useful to folks to get a feel for what the course might be like before they go play it in the real world? Anyone know how probably most of the hole distance numbers got onto those pages?

So yeah, I'd say they serve a purpose.

For sure scarpfish. A course map, hole breakdown and directions to the course are printed off from DGCR and included in my trip package, before all road trips. The course map and hole breakdown go in my pocket to play. Hole distances help a ton on new courses. Gives ideas on how far other things than the hole are. as well. A hole that is listed at 420, but has a mando listed on a sign, without distance, can make disc decision easier.

How often do you actually use the hole length when deciding what disc to throw? I don't think I've ever used a hole length to make me change my disc selection. I can tell where my discs are going to land and how far they will go so why should I use a length.
The only way I could see it helping is when the elevation is changing and there fore might play a little longer or shorter than it actually does but I've only seen a handful of signs that display that kind of info.

I've only been playing for about 15 minutes and my technique has yet to evolve to the level where seeing on the teepad what a hole measures actually matters. I can pretty much eyeball it based on what I know I can throw, so it's really just a matter of the feel of the moment rather than an objective measure of distance that comes into play when I decide what disc to use on a new, specific hole.

Also, how should you measure the distance? Should it be absolute length or flight of the perfect shot. Should a hole that goes 300ft straight then dogleg 50ft right be 304ft(the length of the hypotenuse) or closer to 340(the length of the discs flight?

I heard the word "hypotenuse" a few times in school, but I really don't know what it means and I'm too lazy and ambivalent to look it up, but I'd say that a hole should be measured by the most logical points down the middle of the fairway on which the par number was based.

Absolutely yes. Knowing distance is key to knowing what shot/disc to play. Can I reach it comfortably, or is it a stretch....... Ball golf ears like to lay up to a full wedge on approach. I like to lay up to a 220 thumber. I am blind in one eye, and having two eyes is part of your brains ability to estimate distance. So maybe that's why it's so important to me? If I am playing a lot and throwing consistent on a familiar course, it becomes more of a feel thing.

On new courses I really need it. I think it is even more important when I am in a different area then what I am used to playing. I live in Idaho, and am used to playing there, when I went to Florida the first time my discs did very different things then I was used to. It was nice to see how far the pin was so I could judge what I could do with each disc.

On my home course, I don't need it.

But on other courses, I always look at the distance before deciding what to throw. I know about how far I can throw each disc on different lines, so knowing with certainty how far away the pin is is really helpful in disc selection.

I also find that I struggle to accurately judge distance on my own, so trying to make those selections by sight alone often does not turn out well for me.
Pretty much this. I can figure it out without hole lengths, but depth perception is sometimes tricky with different baskets installed at different heights with different kinds of foliage around. Having the hole lengths makes it a little easier to pick a disc the first time you throw a hole.
What they said.

I find I need hole lengths most often on more wide open holes. It can be hard to tell whether a water carry is 275' or 325', and that's a big difference. The more obstacles in play, the easier it is for me to gauge distance.

I also like it on tweener type shots. If a hole looks 250'-275', I'd like to pin that number down, since I'll be throwing a different disc at a 240' hole than a 280'. Sometimes it's easier or harder to tell by sight, depending on the surroundings, so having the number there takes away guess work and helps me choose my disc.

For a 1st time visitor to a course, marked hole distances help locate pins (especially if you don't have a course map). I've played several holes where you can see multiple (unmarked) baskets from the tee pad. Knowing you're throwing at the one 257' away off to your left is better than shooting for the one 400' feet straight ahead and finding you've driven to the wrong basket.

How often do you actually use the hole length when deciding what disc to throw? I don't think I've ever used a hole length to make me change my disc selection. I can tell where my discs are going to land and how far they will go so why should I use a length.
The only way I could see it helping is when the elevation is changing and there fore might play a little longer or shorter than it actually does but I've only seen a handful of signs that display that kind of info.

Like others have said, I use the distances at new courses. I know exactly how far my discs will fly when I make a good throw.

Also, how should you measure the distance? Should it be absolute length or flight of the perfect shot. Should a hole that goes 300ft straight then dogleg 50ft right be 304ft(the length of the hypotenuse) or closer to 340(the length of the discs flight?

I prefer the hypotenuse, especially for par-3s. Par-4s and -5s may be a different story. I say that because, again, I know how far my discs travel linearly. I can't easily go to a field and measure how far my disc will go straight before making a turn and then measure how far it travels after turning. I know that on that route, my disc went X' from where I threw it.

Par-4s and -5s, I prefer distance markers to the basket. I have played a par-70 course and it had distance markers at I think 250', 300', and 350' on the longer holes that really helped.

I prefer the hypotenuse, especially for par-3s. Par-4s and -5s may be a different story. I say that because, again, I know how far my discs travel linearly. I can't easily go to a field and measure how far my disc will go straight before making a turn and then measure how far it travels after turning. I know that on that route, my disc went X' from where I threw it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a hole has a dog leg fairway and the distance listed is the "hypotenuse" distance, that's the straight line from tee to basket (i.e. through the trees/obstacles on the inside of the dog leg). How exactly is that helpful for being able to choose the right disc/line to navigate the dog leg? Your disc isn't traveling linearly in this situation like it would be in a field. If it says 304 straight line from tee to basket, but the shape of the fairway forces a disc to travel ~360 feet to negotiate the turn and reach the green, isn't throwing the disc you *know* goes ~300 feet going to leave you well short?

I suppose if you're good with doing the math to extrapolate the distance (the old a squared + b squared = c squared thing), you can do it. But should courses be expecting players to do that kind of math?

Par-4s and -5s, I prefer distance markers to the basket. I have played a par-70 course and it had distance markers at I think 250', 300', and 350' on the longer holes that really helped.

Definitely. One of the handiest things about the caddy books players get at the USDGC (a par-68) is that the hole maps identify landmarks on the fairways and their distance both from the tee and to the basket. It's the only thing I've encountered that approximates ball golf and their use of sprinkler heads and the like to give approximate distances to the green. It's especially helpful on holes where there is a water or some other OB carry. Having the distance to go allows players to make a more educated decision about whether they should go for a shot or lay it up.

Yeah judging distance(depth perception) is a technique like any other. I will say that some are inherently better at it than others. It is a weak spot for me and I struggle on approaches because of this. On drives off the tee I usually choose which category(putter, mid, driver) of disc to throw according to the posted hole length(plus other factors such as wind, elevation, windows, ceilings, etc…).

Distance does matter. It can be the difference between the disc I use.

I'm sure that how to measure the exact distance of a hole will spark up a lot of conversation and I believe that's been discussed here before. I believe it's determined by the fairway set by the designer of the hole. I recently played Harmon Hills, TN and I tell you what there are some holes out there that do a huge horseshoe. If you draw a straight line from the tee pad to the basket some would be say 175 to 200 ft away but there's no path there at all unless you are willing to play it through the thick woods or do what the designer intended and that is to follow the fairway path. Following the intended path makes the hole say 375ft.

I'm going to essentially echo Brad Harris from one of the early posts in this thread. Playing courses I play regularly, I don't need the distance. I know the lines I want to hit (my ability to actually do so aside).

But playing new courses, I find it invaluable, especially if the basket is blind from the tee. I also appreciate a hole map indicating dog legs, etc. i'd generally rather not have to walk the hole first just to see what it does. I like the surprise of discovering that my throw left me better of than I thought. It happens every once in a while, I swear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a hole has a dog leg fairway and the distance listed is the "hypotenuse" distance, that's the straight line from tee to basket (i.e. through the trees/obstacles on the inside of the dog leg). How exactly is that helpful for being able to choose the right disc/line to navigate the dog leg? Your disc isn't traveling linearly in this situation like it would be in a field. If it says 304 straight line from tee to basket, but the shape of the fairway forces a disc to travel ~360 feet to negotiate the turn and reach the green, isn't throwing the disc you *know* goes ~300 feet going to leave you well short?

No, the disc I would throw would be one I know can travel that 300 linear feet on that route through the air.

For example, I know I can throw my teebird on a big hyzer and have it land 360' in front of me. How far did it travel if you followed its flight path? I have no idea. So if I step up to a hole that is 360 linear feet, but you have to go way right and fade hard to get to the basket, I know my teebird will make it. If the tee sign distance follows the fairway and says something like 420', that wouldn't help me any. I'd probably throw a Boss and end up way overshooting it.

There is a hole that goes over water at a course around here that is measured along the fairway because few people attempt to clear the water. The sign says I think 460, but it is really like 380 to go right at the basket. I watched Will Schusterick unknowingly clear that basket by some 75' because of what the sign says. It is a partially blind shot, so if it wasn't for some of us nearby he may have never found his disc.

Latest posts