• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hoover Reservoir Westside Temp Course

Big Nasty

Birdie Member
im going to be playing the BHMO next weekend and i was wondering if anyone could give me some details on the temp course used for the tournament. any info would be helpful!

I just played in the Westside Challenge C-Tier warmup up event for Hambrick. They've been using the Westside course for years now but my understanding is that a few of the holes were lengthened for this year so its playing 1-2 strokes tougher.

Overall, I think its a very fun course because you get to throw some shots that your rarely or never do. The course runs around Hoover dam which is probably 100' tall or so. You throw down the face of it twice (Holes 1 and 17) and up it once (Hole 18). The course plays tricky because of significant O.B. on most holes. The course is not overly wooded or technical although the holes are designed well enough to give you some options on lines to the basket with varying risk. Wind can also really be a factor. I relied pretty heavily on a controlled hyzer shot on many of the holes out there. In general the most important thing is staying in bounds. I would say that par for this course in its current configuration is a a par 57 or so. I will highlight the holes I feel you should practice if you only had time for a few.

-Hole 1- This is the first of the downhill shots off the dam. It plays down to a square patch of grass barely larger that the 10m circle. Island green. Retee if you dont land in bounds. Not far but the angle is steep. Most throw a putter or mid straight down at it but experiment with something fast and overstable that just spikes onto the green.
-Hole 3- I would call this a harder par 3 or easy par 4. I think the hole is only about 400' or so but there is no direct line to the basket and your line is defined by a couple of well placed mature trees. This hole is nearly impossible to deuce. You want a flat line drive that tracks to the right and places you right of the large tree 2/3 up the fairway and then a 100' upshot to the basket. The basket is placed in a corner with an O.B. creek that runs around the back half of it. You'll want to be careful about what putts you choose to run.

-Hole 6- This is a legit par 4. A line of trees runs all the way up the left side of a 450-500' fairway, most of which has an O.B. line painted along it. At the end of the fairway there is a hard left turn and the basket is perched on an incline with and O.B. road directly behind it. Even with a safe 400' Hyzer shot down the fairway you will have an interesting approach shot to get around that turn and have a putt for 3 at the basket. Spend some time on your second shot here.

-Hole 7- A tight straight fairway that climbs up a steep hill. Plateaus at the top with the basket. Just have to learn this tee shot.

-Hole 16- This is a righty forehand or backhand anny shot. Plays about 300-325' I would say. Tricky part about this hole is that there is tight O.B. that lines the hole left side of the fairway. So if your forehand never hooks up or your anny hyzers out, you're o.b. Also the basket is perched on a bit of a hill with a potential roll away dropoff on one side

-Hole 17- A long straight steep downhill shot to a postage stamp green. It is bordered in front by a strip or boulders that are O.B. and its lined on the left by a little swap that is O.B. Trees to the right are not O.B. but can be difficult to get out of. Safe way to play this hole is throw a putter layup in front of the rocks and then pitch down to the green for a 3. In order to get a deuce you have to park that green from the top of the dam. On the whole course, this is the tee shot you'll want to practice most but its awful tiring climbing up and down that dam to retrieve your shots!

-Hole 18- This is a hole that you only see deuced a few times in the course of a tournament simply because it is such a steep angle. It plays up the side of the dam. It is very difficult to throw the disc that much uphill and have it keep the speed and angle to get to the basket. I ended up throwing what is basically a spike hyzer but with something flippy so that it could get the height and then fly flat towards the basket. A shot you may never throw at any other course!

Hope that helps.

wow that is an excellent replay! thank you so much im going to have to read that about twenty more times before now and then to get all those details burned into my brain!

If you are in the Hoover area and you have to decide between the two to practice on, PLAY WEST SIDE! The lines are pretty much there on the reg course, but you have to play West side a little before you figure out an approach to each hole. See you at the tournament, I just hopped in off the wait list!

Wow great thread/ description! Helps me out a ton cause I'm only gonna get to play Friday morning before the doubles tourney.
Anyone else on here playing advanced. See you guys there!

im going to be playing rec. so there isnt really any water to worry about? also im going to be arriving in town tuesday night so i may play another course inthe area for the hell of it. any suggestions?i cant wait. im really excited for this tournament!

Wow great thread/ description! Helps me out a ton cause I'm only gonna get to play Friday morning before the doubles tourney.
Anyone else on here playing advanced. See you guys there!

Yep, you're gonna have to get past me . . . :)

im going to be playing rec. so there isnt really any water to worry about? also im going to be arriving in town tuesday night so i may play another course inthe area for the hell of it. any suggestions?i cant wait. im really excited for this tournament!

There is the mild possibility of you actually throwing off the dam and into the river on hole 1, haha. There is an OB creek behind the basket of hole 4, an OB swap on hole 6, water behind the basket on hole 12 (not a big deal), you have to throw over the water to get to the basket on hole 13 (its roped OB either way but recently it was totally dry but it could be full at Hambrick), Water behind the basket on hole 15, OB swamp left of the basket on hole 17.

Sounds like a lot doesn't it? It doesn't really feel like it when you're playing though.

This is unfortunately untrue. Last year, I played Rec which plays two rounds on the West Side course. Water comes into play pretty heavily on about 3-4 holes (depending on if the water is high enough on one of the holes, last year you were throwing over water while at the Westside Challenge this year it was dry). I had a very frustrating tournament last year, and lost about 4.

Anyone know what layout Advanced is playing? I would think 27 long and the west side but I really have no idea if its long tees or short tees, and if there are different pin placements.

Anyone know what layout Advanced is playing? I would think 27 long and the west side but I really have no idea if its long tees or short tees, and if there are different pin placements.

All AMs play West/27/West, I can't tell you the tees/pins though.