• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how did you help growthesport in 2014?

Helped run an Ace Race at my home course. Of the twenty two people, half were under 18. A 17 year old won it. 'Twas an amazing day.

Gave away discs to 4 people, all of whom seem to have a genuine interest in learning/continuing to play

Took a solid 10-15 people out for their first round. A few seem to be sticking with it, most are not.

Getting my 2 yr old started throwing a mini and my son was born. They'll both be future champs within 20 years.

maintenance and repair at Hawk Hollow
Betty Queen Center upkeep
ran Betty Queen Open
ran Hawk Hollow Warm Up and VTI
hosted Hawk Hollow Open
ran HHO pepper eating
redesigned a short 9 hole course in a local campground
designed a 6 basket 18 hole yard course for VR
began design work on a 36 hole complex in the Northern Neck of VA
taught Austin Pfaff how to putt

Got several new people to throw and use MVP discs.:D

Seriously though, I did help out on course construction and maintenance at a couple local courses. Tried unsuccessfully to get some new people interested in the sport. Well one maybe starting to catch the bug.

Last edited:
Gave away discs to 4 people, all of whom seem to have a genuine interest in learning/continuing to play

A great way to get people engaged in the game is to give them the tools to do it. I gave away four or five DX Rocs this summer to people who showed up to either watch or play our Monday night doubles. Haven't seen most of them out recently, but one girl I gave a purple Roc to works at the local gas station and makes some bomb ass hot dogs. Seen her out a few times and every time I got in there for a dog she tells me how she's been shooting. Seems really motivated to improve too, so I call that a win. Gonna try to do even better next year. Just gotta replenish my stock of DX Rocs. :D

Volunteered at 3 events.

OP, what did YOU do besides start this thread?

i gave some of my discs to newer players that i'd played a random round with. they were really doing well with them and i figured i could always get new ones and season them in, but it'd take them a really long time since they don't play as often or throw as hard.

Volunteered at 3 events.

OP, what did YOU do besides start this thread?

i personally saw elmex use his ultrastar (which he had just aced with) as a small boat to ferry a baby squirrel across a raging stream back to its mother's loving arms. he didn't even ask for it back.

I Started playing disc golf. Played 4 tournaments, won 2 in intermediate including one hundred holes from hell, and won 1st in advanced. Set a course record at my home course of at -6 then two weeks later shot a -11. Introduced my two bros, one (16 yrs old) won a tourney in rec, and took 5 in the cache valley classic in int, the other won the cache valley classic int and would have won advanced if he would have played and won two non sanctioned tourneys in advanced. Also i have a tourney set up to run the first week of January.

Mostly did stuff to maintain the sport. Growing it was more incidental or working toward long range growth.

Helped make disc golf industries economically viable by, um, buying a bunch of discs. :eek:

But seriously, much respect to those who build and maintain courses. Y'all put in a ton of work, and do not get nearly the thanks you deserve. So thank you.

Shoveled and chipped last winters ice off the tees.
Mixed about 200 bags of 'crete for tees.
Did about a third of the design and labor on the newest course in the area.
About 80 hours general maintenance on my home course.
About 10 hours of pond diving.
Ran three fundraising events, and paid for three new baskets with the event proceeds.
Organized weekly random doubles until daylight savings ended.
Organized weekly glow golf after daylight savings ended.

Lots of trash pick up
Snow and ice clearing
Three hundred in donation via raffle to local club I am not a member of
Updated important condition / course updates here
Debating a targeted donation for for the end of the year

Not at all interested at all in taking out / introducing / proselytize people. I am very happy with the number of people I see on my local courses currently.

made a positive impression on the local bums and slackers that hang out at the small course near my apartment. let them throw my discs and check em out, gave em pointers and left with a smile and encouraging words. I saw multiple people days later with a disc or two, huckin away in the sun with happiness surrounding their being. DISC IT, DON'T DIS IT baby