• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How different is "different"?

At what length would you throw differently than on a 250 foot hole?

• Total voters
Maybe look at the question this way. In the morning round, you play a fairly open, straight hole that's 250 feet. For the afternoon round, the TD is going to move the tee back X number of feet. How far back does the tee need to be moved before it feels like a different hole where you might change discs or throw in a different way than in the morning? Weather conditions essentially the same.

If distance is the only criteria, at 250' almost any other variable would not only affect my disc choice but how exactly I tried to throw the chosen disc. Left to right, right to left, fh, bh, tunnel, uphill, downhill, pin location, can I run it, wind...

So I voted 250.1.

If a hole is 250', or 1,000', I'm still throwing my longest driver, since I have a noodle arm, assuming that it's a wide open hole and no wind. So there is no difference. That should be one of your poll options.

If a hole is 250', or 1,000', I'm still throwing my longest driver, since I have a noodle arm, assuming that it's a wide open hole and no wind. So there is no difference. That should be one of your poll options.

LOL. I could almost say the same thing. There's a difference between 250' and 260' to me. If the question has been 180', probably no difference between 180' and 190'.

The small increments probably matter more at the top 20% of someone's range, where you go from your most confident driver at 90% power, to either trying to add a little extra to the throw, or moving to a longer but less dependable disc. If the distance is in the midrange realm, it's probably only a very subtle change in the throw.

So, for you, the question would be: at what distance do you think your chance of parking the second shot is noticeably lower?

So, for you, the question would be: at what distance do you think your chance of parking the second shot is noticeably lower?

Again, if we're talking wide open, calm conditions, no elevation, I'd say 500' is noticably worse off the tee. We have a hole like that at my home course, and it takes a minor miracle for me to par it. But the ones that are 460 and 480 I par much more often.

I start considering different discs for distances of about 25ft. or so

Sorry Steve West, this thread gets my early nomination for worst thread of the year.

With all variables the same, except distance... flat, open, no wind, no danger hole... here would be my general numbers throwing a slight hyzer, RHBH...

<250' putter
<290' mid
<325' driver
<370' faster driver
>370, two throws no matter what!

Kind of a weird question, but my take:

250', flat and open, I'm probably throwing a Mako on a gentle hyzer.
I'd continue to throw a Mako on a gently hyzer up until about 290-300, where I'd switch over to a TL but stick with a hyzer. Once it gets up to about 330-340, I have to work some flex into it, so I'm switching to a Sidewinder.

So, when do you pull out a different disc?

Personally I don't think its a stupid poll, but I might think so if it was from a stupid person. I figured it was meant to be an open-ended question covering radically different throws, or different disc selections.

For me, 250' is in my wheelhouse for a midrange (Roc). 280' is my max D for a Roc without getting a little wild by overpowering my throw. I usually switch to a fairway driver at 275-280'.....and change to a a little hop-step rather than an x-step below about 200'.

I think of this poll as a statics question. What is the noticeable difference after 250ft? 20ft is about where I would change discs.

I'd say 270'. 250' is a gentle, controlled throw with a fairway driver. 260' a little more, 270' noticeably? Same disc, but more strong-arming.

There are too many things to consider to answer this question. Even if everything is the same except distance, it still matters what everything else is. Is it a downhill hole? Do I have a headwind? What condition is the landing area in? Are there trees or other obstacles I have to deal with? I guess my vague answer to the vague question would have to be, "When I can see a difference in the distance, I'll change my throw."

Honestly... it really depends if I am throwing forehand or backhand.... and whether the hole is very wooded or wide open. Regardless, I would say about 10 percent change in length is probably what changes my shot selection.

Latest posts