• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do people lose so many discs???

I've lost maybe a dozen discs over the years. Most of them were just stupid reasons like throwing an extra shot and forgetting about it or simply just forgetting it. But I would have to say that I've lost (meaning that it could not be found after looking for about 30 mins) only 2 discs. The deep blue claimed 4 soldiers also. :sick:

Son takes disc out of bag
Son throws disc in random direction
Son forgets about disc
I reach for disc only to realize it's gone, it's getting dark, and it could be anywhere.

RIP DX Roc 2010-2010

I've lost around... 75 discs or so over the years?

1. Water hazards - 25%
2. Shanked shots (not sure where to look) - 20%
3. Lost in the pine trees - 15%
4. Dense, dense, dense rough - 15%
5. Tall grass - 10%
6. Lending out for a round - 5%
7. Thorns/poison ivy - 5%
8. Forgetting on Fairway - 2%
9. It's just gone... where did it go??? - 2%
10. Intentionally throwing in the woods - 1%

A lot of that was when I had no idea what the heck I was doing, have lost barely any discs recently (not including water).

I've lost around... 75 discs or so over the years?

1. Water hazards - 25%
2. Shanked shots (not sure where to look) - 20%
3. Lost in the pine trees - 15%
4. Dense, dense, dense rough - 15%
5. Tall grass - 10%
6. Lending out for a round - 5%
7. Thorns/poison ivy - 5%
8. Forgetting on Fairway - 2%
10. Intentionally throwing in the woods - 1%

A lot of that was when I had no idea what the heck I was doing, have lost barely any discs recently (not including water).
Will you please provide the raw data? Thnx.

I've thrown too many off the tee and forgot, thrown my disc into a wheat field, too much to drink, thrown off of a cliff, thrown into deep water, the list goes on. Who cares if people lose plastic, I like calling people back and meeting them. I play disc with people I have met through them calling me or me calling them. So who freaking cares?
I've also found people playing with my name on the bottom that I had lost years before, and I asked if that was his name and showed him the bottom of the disc I was holding. I told him he could keep the 8.00$ DX Beast but told him in the future if you find a disc with a number you should call the person. It was just funny to me to see the look on his face.
Bottom line, who cares if you lose a disc because I have found plenty that were unmarked and have added to my collection. :thmbup:

People lose discs because they don't know where they threw their discs or because they are physically or mentally unable to retrieve their disc.

Word.

*folds arms gangsta style.

zenbot out!

*throws microphone on ground*

Mine is closer to 10%. The last time I lost a disc it was my putting putter. I lost it in an empty field during some driving practice. I must have spent a half hour looking for it.

If you start making improvements in how far you drive you'll probably come across times where your distance improves rapidly but your aim and consistency go way down. If you combine those times with poor depth perception and being a poor judge of distance, you can lose a lot of discs. And yes, this is from personal experience.

I've only lost like 3 or 4 discs without just leaving them behind on purpose. I have a habit of accounting for my stuff after every hole.

I've been playing about a year and have lost around 40. Yep, 40 discs and about 95% of them are sitting in some of the most disgusting water you've ever seen. My home course has 7 of the 18 holes requiring you to throw OVER water and it gets windy, not a good combo.

City Park, NOLA

Another thing we have noticed when helping people find their lost discs is they are VERY generous with the distances they think they got and we generally find them about 100' shorter than they estimate.

Must be those dudes who throw 400' putter shots.

Yeah, they're searching based on their online arms.

I think for the O.P., the straightforward answer is that it mostly depends on where you play. Visit Trophy Lakes in Charleston---or play a tournament at Hampton Park in Charleston---and you have to be very timid to keep all your discs. And sometimes even that doesn't work.

When I started and played Earlewood almost exclusively, I went years without losing a disc.

Discs get lost, it's a fact of life and will happen to everyone who plays regularly.

If you haven't lost one yet, cheers. But believe me, it will come.

Ways you can lose a disc:

-Dense, tall trees
-Dense, dense, dense brush
-Water hazards
-Weird deflections off of an obstacle
-Weird, abnormally long skips or rollaways
-Long, heavily wooded courses
-Snow
-Solo rounds throwing multiple drives
-Etc
-Etc
-Etc

kinda off topic, but has anyone ever found a disc that had the players info and number scribbled out, and a new name and number written on it?

what would you do?

Yep. I figured it might have been a traded disc. (I've traded for a few that I couldn't remove the original name.) I called both numbers and IIRC left messages on each and no one called back. I don't remember what happened to the disc.

Nobody answer this. If anybody wants to know the answer, just do a search. There is no reason that this thread should go down in flames as a "found disc" thread. Just leave it as a "How do people lose so many discs?" thread.

OOPS

All the ones I have lost have been due to water. And all the ones I have lost due to water happened at one course. Bryan Park haha.

Edit* Lost 3 at Bryan, one call back.. the last one a friend chucked in I hadn't had a chance to put name on.

Ponds (2) have 4 of my discs.. went diving in one for my 11x fb, came out with about 8 discs neither of mine.. but at least only one was inked. Probably came out with some genetic mutations also though.
Muck has one; just wasn't worth it to walk out into the swamp.
Leaves finally got one last fall, mid fairway and well inked but never got a call.
Freeway ate two within my first year; first figured out understable discs when a gust turned over my sidewinder and carried it 150' past the basket into the median.
Left a buzzz in a basket - its the only disc I've ever had returned.
Blackberries had one, but I was hacking my way through a few months later and found it.

Ponds: Five discs in two ponds. Only got one back.

Trees: Two discs. Got one back. Left the other one because I hated that damn disc anyway.

Leaves: Never, though not for lack of trying on the disc's part.

Left: Half a dozen... went back and got all but one.

Brush: Five. Got two back.

Found: Well over two dozen and returned all the ones I could, which cuts it to about a dozen and a half kept. So, I'm breaking even.

Discs get lost, it's a fact of life and will happen to everyone who plays regularly.

If you haven't lost one yet, cheers. But believe me, it will come.

Ways you can lose a disc:

-Solo rounds throwing multiple drives

Bingo. That's how I've lost the majority of mine. I pride myself on my disc finding ability, so it is usually a Dum-A move that causes me to lose discs. My new trick is counting each drive off as I throw it so I know how many to pick up.

*pulls up a chair, starts a little camp fire, and waits for the lock* anybody want s'mores?

Latest posts