• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you drive with a putter????

Brick Forcepush

Eagle Member
I really dont get it guys. I hear about people throwing putters 300' and stuff and i just dont get how you can throw a putter that far. Right now I am throwing a 12x KC Pro Aviar and I just cant throw it that far. I am using a control grip when I throw. If anyone could give me some tips that would be great. Thanks!

They require height in order to be pushed out that far, and nose up is actually your friend for putter distance. Grip shouldn't really matter (use my own kind of fan/power/control grip for driving with slow discs), and hyzerflipping is also common.

Smooth is far.

Not really sure what other advise to give, seeing as how I can't see you toss.

Try a stack or power grip.
Pull in, not around.
A lil hyzer and height are your friends.

Your putter is just fine.

Wow, after watching that video, I might need to get myself a sweat band and start throwing my putters with a wee bit o' nose up. That was pretty sweet!

so like a magic???? because they just turn over on me...

Smooth and flat on release. You don't have to put a lot of power into a putter to get distance. I can throw an opto Pure about 250 feet... a Ridge about 225, and it goes straight and lands flat. If you turn it over, you're throwing too hard.

Don't stress about it. There's really no reason to drive with a putter other than to just do it. The advantage I see is that it improves your form and knowledge of your equipment. But in an actual playing situation there's no reason to do it. That's what mids are for.

And Ive seen tons of "putter driving" videos that claim 300 feet and I highly dispute they get past 250 just on flight time alone. I can get my trim Ridge and my Graboide out to about 220 Max and my XG Rhyno out to 180. But its not an essential skill...like I said its more to gain knowledge of yourself and your discs. If you're learning just one thing, you're doing everything right.

Don't stress about it. There's really no reason to drive with a putter other than to just do it. The advantage I see is that it improves your form and knowledge of your equipment. But in an actual playing situation there's no reason to do it. That's what mids are for.

And Ive seen tons of "putter driving" videos that claim 300 feet and I highly dispute they get past 250 just on flight time alone. I can get my trim Ridge and my Graboide out to about 220 Max and my XG Rhyno out to 180. But its not an essential skill...like I said its more to gain knowledge of yourself and your discs. If you're learning just one thing, you're doing everything right.

I disagee. There is a time for driving both mids and putters. Each offer different flights.

OP: I use a four finger power grip, a full x step and a neutral putter. Anodes are my favorite driving putter. Here is a video of me tossing the new Neutron Ions around on a few holes at my home course. Plenty of these shots go past 300' btw AndyJB :)

I've outdriven 375' flat ground holes with putters but usually only drive up to 325' or so in a full bag round.

Last edited:
Yea, anybody doubting a 300' putter toss has a very small imagination. I have seen close to 400' putter throws.

At any rate, I disagree with people saying to flip the putter. With good clean form (no OAT) a fresh putter should not flip very much at all. Your answer for putter D = lose the OAT.

I use this grip:
Power-FanGrip.jpg

DSCJNKY

As for use during a round, putters are great to drive on rolling terrain or steep slopes into water hazards. The putter will land flatter and is less likely to skip off of the fairway into the water or rough. I've heard guys cuss course designers because "It's impossible to land on this fairway unless you're left handed" when they refuse to throw anything but drivers and can't forehand. Expanding your game will expand your options... and fun factor playing tough courses.

Play some putter only rounds. They will soon be a fun change of pace... as Mike C videos prove.

I throw my putters on most drives under 300' all the time. I love the control that the slower flight of the Challenger gives me. Also, I prefer to not have to throw half power shots whenever possible. For this reason, I have also figured out a nifty little skip shot with my Challenger that works wonders in places with short to no grass.