• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far can you throw your putt and approach discs?

How far can you throw your putt and approach discs?

• Total voters
I can throw my putters consistently 300' with decent accuracy. It all depends on the putter actually. I'm back to Ions now which I've gotten as far as 330' but rarely do I try and throw them that far..rather reach for a controlled roc shot. When I was throwing Judges, I got a decently worn Classic Judge out to 345' on an anny flex shot that was thrown high and just rode the wind forever. If I'm 300' out depending on the wind, I'm reaching for my Ion.

My buddy Gripenemys was throwing his Breaker and his Clutch well over 320' with ease. It all has to do with form and proper release.

I can throw my putters consistently 300' with decent accuracy. It all depends on the putter actually. I'm back to Ions now which I've gotten as far as 330' but rarely do I try and throw them that far..rather reach for a controlled roc shot. When I was throwing Judges, I got a decently worn Classic Judge out to 345' on an anny flex shot that was thrown high and just rode the wind forever. If I'm 300' out depending on the wind, I'm reaching for my Ion.

My buddy Gripenemys was throwing his Breaker and his Clutch well over 320' with ease. It all has to do with form and proper release.

I've got a Classic Judge bagged as well, and I've knocked it out to 300' with a slight tailwind. That thing just goes if you hit it right.

I can flick my putter.....yup....right into the ground unless it's my zone...every putter I've tried to throw either goes into an anny or it just drives straight into the ground into a roller....my flick form is horrible....I think I need to watch more of your videos Mike C.

I throw classic judges for my driving putters. In a no wind to 5mph I throw them 300-310 max. I throw putters all the time because the offer me a very accurate straight shots and nice slow hyzers and anhzers. I love putters. I have 2 classic soft putting putters that I don't drive with because I also carry 3 classic hard judges with all different stabilities of wear. I would have to say that these five discs have the greatest impact on my score. In a windy condition I step up to my suspect and maces.

I don't really understand why so many people have lots of high-speed drivers in their bags as slower disc reach still very long when thrown with good form and a lot more controlled.

I voted 275'. I can throw my beat Ion out to 300', but that's max d and not something I'd use on the course unless I'm messing around.

I threw a Fuzion Judge right on the 250' sign on the Driving Range Hole at Blue Ribbon Pines. I've hit this distance several times with this disc. But I would say more likely an average would be 220'.

I can flick my putter.....yup....right into the ground unless it's my zone...every putter I've tried to throw either goes into an anny or it just drives straight into the ground into a roller....my flick form is horrible....I think I need to watch more of your videos Mike C.

This... exactly. I can't even throw a Star Aviar Big Bead without flipping it forehand. So the Zone is the only way to go for me. Although, I use a turnover backhand shot far, far, far more often than I ever throw forehand.

My Birdies create wake turbulence and require an additional minute for subsequent departure clearance from the air traffic control tower.

I get my beat Wizard around 275 consistently if I'm putting some good force into it. I have gotten some of my Wizards out to 300... with help from a tailwind.

I'm not a "far" thrower by any means, but was out doing field work with my son and our friend and on a whim I hucked my 170g SS Omega out to a measured 280. I don't know that I could do it regularly because I don't normally drive with a putter. I would certainly not risk hitting a tree with that one since it is my putting putter.

I can throw a small bead or yeti aviar to 300' in an open field, no wind.

The thing is, I rarely ever need to on the course.

If its a 300' hole I might throw a roc, teebird, eagle, who knows.

Its usually dependent on the make up of the hole.

I'm comfortable with everything 250' and within being a putter shot. Unless I need to flick it.

All I have to say is Justin "KID" Bunnell...damn the guy can throw a putter! I've seen him throw a wide variety of Wizards to 400+. Most are relatively overstable shots, but I have also seen some incredible slow turn shots that have gone on forever. I would say he maxes out around 450 on those slow but steady turn shots. The real kicker is that he hardly looks like he is throwing it hard at all...just a nice compact uncoiling motion.

EDIT: I should say "maxed"...he hardly plays right now. He'll probably get the bug again in a couple years...it's his natural cycle. :p

Last edited:
I have personal VHS footage of Scott Stokely, from the side of the tee, throwing a Magnet past Hudson Mills #2's basket in about 1998. IIRC, it's about 350' to the pin. He totally buried it into the tall weeds a good 30' to 50' behind the pin. You can hear people whisper, "...that's a magnet, a magnet, that's a magnet, holy s--t, that's a magnet..."

Latest posts