• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take for you to get "good"?

About four years of regular play to get to 'easy smooth and able to play low risk, but pleasant 'cart golf' on tough and challenging courses consistently when I desire. Related to dissing down, better focused field work and mold minimalising.

I want people to share their 1st year stories so I can have an idea where I stand.

When I started playing, I watched a lot of videos and played a good bit, so I got the basics (the RHBH throw, the X-step, etc.) down within three months. Putting took longer, partially because I changed my putting stroke and the putters I throw before settling on the Marshal.

Now I'm getting older and not getting the distance I had when I first started, so I've probably peaked. So now I'm learning how to play smarter, and I'm still doing fairly well (I had ten straight pars last Friday, which was good for me). Over time, age will catch up, but as long as I'm having fun I'll still be out there hucking discs and rattlin' chains. :thmbup:

I am at a point where noobies look at me and go "wow he's so good" and pros look at me and go "......"

This is me. Story time:

Went out with one of the old squad (who hasn't played much lately), and a few others who were a mix of rank noobs and fairly infrequent players. It was my 64th round of the summer. I finished middle of the pack and above par on a course I know like the back of my hand. Next day same course, same conditions, -5 at one point and still finish tied with my two games a month buddy at -2. So it goes I guess.

I'm aging and in competition with my former self. And getting whipped on a regular basis.

No, seriously, much like Marmoset, when I ascending my progress was a series of plateaus---or, as I often described it, ratchet. Sudden jump to the next level, stuck there for a while, another sudden jump, level for a while....

With each, better than I had been, better than some people I played with, never as good as some others. Tournament divisions and ratings gave some thresholds to measure. Never reached a point to say "I'm good"; it's all relative.
Thats exactly how I felt. I'd plateau, and then at each plateau I'd occasionally have a "great" round where I could point to it and say: "That's my new target plateau." And then I'd attack getting there consistently. My last plateau was around the mid-980s (I got to 997 on a small sample size of rounds). I got there - back when I was 25 - after about 4-5 years of disc golf, hung out there even with less practice for a few years, then got to where a little bit of practice would get me to it pretty easily. Was away from it long enough the last time that it was really hard and I feel like I'm just getting back to it again. That is kinda my measure for "good" - because if you're in the 980s you're pretty much cashing all the time in C Tiers. Not quite great, but "good."

I've still got hopes that I can ascend a few more plateaus and get to one around the 1010-1020 range in my early 40s before that finish line starts really pulling away from me.

I think I was at my best at about 3 years. Then I started buying and changing discs, throwing different lines, using mids, fairways, drivers in places I might not have used them before. And now after 7 years I seem to have gotten worse! :wall: I still have most of my old discs that I started with but It doesn't seem to help me much. It also might be because I am aging, I'm 57. Maybe going down hill in my 50,s. Crap.:gross:

Last edited:
I used to be worried about "being good".

Couple years ago I was playing pretty well and won a few tournaments.

Now I don't play as much and don't really care about being good.

I started playing at age 68. I'm never going to be "good". But I don't care. I now understand the game and my course well enough to know what shot I should be taking. I love the game and will continue to play as long as my body will allow me. I am fortunate that I have a few friends who will play with me at my level of play. Life is good!:thmbup:

I'd say 2-3 years for me, if "good" means placing somewhere in the middle of Am-1.

It's different during the era of my heyday, though, if you didn't live near the good clubs. A course went in the ground in my hometown in 1989 when I was in high school and that's where basket play began for me (although I had played plenty of object golf with Frisbees before this). No internet, let alone YouTube. You're completely dependent on someone else being present who knew what they were doing and I never once saw somebody in my rural area who did. The designer of that course was PDGA #315 who was retirement age back then and could only throw what he called a "chicken wing," which was a RHBH pulling his ancient artifact Discs behind his back and releasing near his hip for maybe 150' at best.

Many of us had to essentially invent our own form. I, for the life of me, couldn't figure out much more than a 150-200' RHFH flick shot with a Stingray. I even still carried a Wham-O 150 in my golf bag (which was a small duffel bag) if I had to throw a backhand. The course was a crazy thorn-filled wooded one with multiple jagged doglegs per hole, many of which mimicked the designer's bizarre throwing style so I didn't know any better. They'd make that course (Oxbow Park, Goshen, IN) much easier when worlds came, and the emerald ash borer made it even easier in more recent times.

Once I moved away in 1996 to an area with a good club (Lansing, MI), that changed everything. And it was from that point, after witnessing with my jaw on the ground a local pro pinning a 400' wooded tunnel hole with a black Cyclone, that I started playing better. J-Bird taught me how to throw a backhand and Mark Ellis taught me how to throw a forehand. I'd be occasionally "cashing" in Am-1 by the end of the decade, but I never did get past Am-1 mediocrity.

First, I agree with the previous comment of "good" being a 900ish rated player.

I played recreationally with friends for the first few years I played. I was always the best out of my friends, and could throw far, so I felt as though I were "good", but it wasn't until I starting befriending other disc golfers who were as interested in it as I was before I actually started to get "good". I was now learning from those who were better than me instead of always teaching those not as good as me.

2 or 3 years of consistent practice with other skilled golfers is what I would deem necessary to become "good", however, everyone is different.

I would say 900 rated is about where I would call players good. 900 average players still have their flaws obviously, but usually have a pretty well rounded game.

I like objective ratings more than subjective ones. I have been playing for about 14 months and started past my so-called prime and when I was very out of shape. After much time spent playing and learning, I would say I am closer to being good by the above standard.

When I started, parking a 125' hole was a challenge. Now, I am looking to park 300-350' holes. I am also looking to throw 400' once... then many more times. I still have much to learn and get in better shape.

I played my first tournament a few months ago and was rated 856, then 867, and now with today's update 879 [plus winning my first tournament in Recreational]. Now I will be playing in Intermediate trying to reach 900 and beyond.

Good is extremely subjective as is par.

The very first day I played I did a one disc round and was sinking putts I just can't do now even tho I am 'better'

I feel I am better than I was but shot a +5 including 4 birdies 6 months ago on my home course and can't seem to do it now. But that is my home course. There are a couple local courses I can shoot below par easily.

End of First 365 days, 1 year I was using a DX Valkyrie as my main distance driver, then using a DX old style Leopard, a DX Stingray again after loosing the first one right away, and last got another putter to complement my older non DuPont added plastic Rubber Putter, a Gateway G9-I Wizard that in 2018 I gave away to a guy who uses Wizards who sold it online. I did get a little later just outside 367 days a DX Shark that I did not use too much as it was too light for me to use and eveutaly got 175 gram Sharks in Pro and later Star. I gave the DX Shark away to a friend in 2017 with a drawstring sack who I got him a new Hydra and Whaoo combo as well as a new Hydra and Dragon combo. He had a few disc but no putter only a OS Buzz and a Disc that Beginner players should not ever use, A Firebird or Xcalibur. Also gave him an 2 mini makers of mine I was not using at the time.

I could throw those new discs just fine as I got upper 160 grams range with only the heaviest at 169 grams being the Valkyrie. Now I get premium Valkyrie 170-172 grams. Do not use a Leopard after the mold changed and the Shark see above, I do not use a DX Stingray anymore since 2017 as I stopped using the mold for Sharks and Shark 3.

If this is not the best response to the OP, then I do not know what is - at no point does this response even get near the same zip code as the OPs question, but it is so specific and detailed that I can not help but believe that this is actual disc golf savant poetry.

I'm terrible. One of the worst disc golfers in the state who doesn't just throw a Champ Destroyer and carry a sixer in a grocery bag. But I have more fun on the course than any of the top rated players do who are beating me by 23 strokes.

If this is not the best response to the OP, then I do not know what is - at no point does this response even get near the same zip code as the OPs question, but it is so specific and detailed that I can not help but believe that this is actual disc golf savant poetry.

I was answering the second part to the OP who asked what was the end of the first year like, so I told them. I was able to use speed a 9 disc mold, asking at a Play it Again Sports specifically for a disc that is able to handle nose in the ground. Then getting other discs that Innova's charts said were for beginner players, they were the one of 4 or 5 brands at the time making discs. Then tried a putter that at the time was one of the more beginner/novice type for wind putting, all I had for most of the first year mid 2003 to mid 2004 was was that Rubber Putter after loosing my DX Stingray right away. There was nowhere in my town to buy discs until 2005 when the local sports store started selling the Innova and Millennium discs, I did not know how to judge discs online as buying stuff online was not common in the early 2000's.

I was answering the second part to the OP who asked what was the end of the first year like, so I told them. I was able to use speed a 9 disc mold, asking at a Play it Again Sports specifically for a disc that is able to handle nose in the ground. Then getting other discs that Innova's charts said were for beginner players, they were the one of 4 or 5 brands at the time making discs. Then tried a putter that at the time was one of the more beginner/novice type for wind putting, all I had for most of the first year mid 2003 to mid 2004 was was that Rubber Putter after loosing my DX Stingray right away. There was nowhere in my town to buy discs until 2005 when the local sports store started selling the Innova and Millennium discs, I did not know how to judge discs online as buying stuff online was not common in the early 2000's.

My bad Casey, I did not see the second part of the OPs postings. I hope you will allow me to stay one of your fans.

My bad Casey, I did not see the second part of the OPs postings. I hope you will allow me to stay one of your fans.

Nah you are fine. I feel no fans more that there are people on this site who can fallow my train of thought. I find just mostly haters due to some of the things I have posted as mistakes but for 95% of them I have apologized for and due to them, some of these people trying to find a flaw in every post I make or always pointing out I have done more then one in a row.

Last edited:
I started with a really high athletic base. I think it took me maybe a week of playing to shoot under par. I just played with my friends and was always the best of the bunch and then eventually I just played by myself everyday. I think I didnt play my first tournament til like 5 years in and when I did I did pretty good for myself.

I analyzed a lot of players a few years back (on the pdga site) and it seemed like 5 years was the magic number where things started to gel, ratings started to climb. I also think the first stepping stone to that happening is literally understanding the concept of playing strategically for just....par. I'll never forget one of my young friends who can bomb.... he was having a hard time playing in tournaments, I said...let's just focus on par.."but I can birdie...", forget it... force yourself to just go for par. Long story short...took his 1st intermediate win that same weekend. lol...