• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take you to finally get it?

How long did it take?

• 1-3 years

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • 5-8 years

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • The future is bleak.

Votes: 30 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even though I've only been playing for a year and a half, I've thrown close to 500 rounds already. Where I am now compared to where I was last year is beyond night and day difference.

What helped me the most is watching videos, reading technique over the winter, getting a practice basket, and playing in a league.

I'd say it took about 1 year before I really got it.

Relative to natural ability and a number of other things, I think this is too subjective an issue to have a poll attached to it.

However, if by getting it you mean figuring out your discs, then the answer is "20-30 throws into the life of the disc." Or, in the case of my Blizzard Dominator, the moment it touched my hands. But honestly, the thing that made the most difference was field work and understanding my capabilities. You've gotta play within yourself. Are you consistantly turning over your driver and wasting strokes in the woods? When you do clip a tree and get sent into the rough/woods, are you being smart about it? Or are you trying to take a line with 98% margin for error? Take bogies when you have to. Don't play the hero.

But ultimately, be confident. Throw discs that make you believe in yourself. My goal, every day, is to not shoot bogies. Put myself in a position to play well and consistant. If I don't think I can make a drive into a small opening, I put it in front of it to give myself a nice upshot.

Ultimately, though, I was given the best advice by a friend of mine. It's about confidence. Not every one is going to be able to throw bombs. But really, you don't need to. Refine the fairway and green aspects of your game. And make sure you have fun. And get a putter that makes you feel like you can't miss.

But stop worrying so much about "getting it" and start dialing in each disc. And if you have a disc that after 40 or 50 throws, you just can't do anything with that makes sense, SELL IT.

In all seriousness... I started playing in February with the idea of getting good enough to play in a tournament. My first tourney was the following April, so, a little over a year. I was ready prior to the tourney - perhaps 9 months and then the rest was polish. Literally, that polish improves all the time. I look back to the way I was playing just 3 months ago and I feel I've improved since then!!

I still don't get it. Rotational inertia, fluid dynamics, chaos theory, and all the other concepts involved when trying to describe what the disc does usually eludes my comprehension. Once I understand this though, I will surely get it.

It takes a long time to develop skills, that will happen for almost everyone.

Putting it all together is the hard part. That's the "get it".

Golf is unpredictable. You need to become good at, unpredictable.

I say "getting it" because I always read posts on here where people are saying, "Oh, it finally clicked for me", or "I had the ah-ha moment". It's all relative guys...no need for analyzing it.

I had many of these aha moments, but I am still not "getting it".

I started feeling good about my game after my first year though, if you want me to put a number on it.

How to drive, shape lines and choose the right disc for the shot at hand? 1.5 years
How to putt? Um, still searching for it.

Right there with you. I can't say I've ever shot "well under par", but I've had days were I felt I was playing really well and days when I couldn't pour p!ss out of a boat with instructions on the heal.

I think part of my problem is lack of regular playing/practicing time.
And then there is also the "age" thing...I'm not as young as I used to be :|

The future is bleak.

But I have really high standards.

"This video has been removed by the user." Do you have a current video I like watching people throw.

I voted 3-5y, but I am still far from getting it. I get a lot, just not what I need.

on my 3rd year playing , I have issues with 20-30foot putts im around 30 to 50% going in if I make those which cripple me from shooting real low numbers, Im hitting the chains or the basket just can not find a routine to which I have constant line drives into the pole,I really want pitch putting to work still experimenting comes out of my hand real floppy this is the worst shot i have, trying to get away from spin/push which does work but I have a tendancey to throw it flat and not n slight hyzer and hit soft sides or chains or go right through basket by a few inches, nothing I do changes this. when that gets fixed I will be able to move out of am status. That is the only thing holding me back now. everything else is solid. I can drive far, get out of trouble, rock solid approach, also can hit basket on jump putts with a great % ect..

I consistently finish par or better anywhere now, except this place I hate that place with all my soul. Since I can count on my hand how many times I hit par out of the 60+ rounds I have played it. Hence the reason I need to work on 20-30 footers. If I finish this course With -1 it will mean more to me than the stacks of plastic I won at am events. my 2cents.

Seems like lately my driving has gotten worse while my putting is getting better.

Up until this year, I was going to the courses within 20 miles of my house to knock down a few beers and have a good time. But this summer I've gotten alot more serious about the game. I've purchased a dozen new discs. I've been playing 18-36 holes 4-5 days a week. I bought a practice basket for my backyard and have been hammering out 30-60 minute putting sessions.

I'm in a bit of an "ah ha" moment right now. About a month ago I found this forum and did alot of reading on proper form and I've been watching tons of youtube videos. In the last 30 days I've added 75 feet on average to my drives,, and once in awhile crossing the 400foot mark-- with a slower run up and more controlled approach. And I feel like I'm getting more and more distance every week.

I still don't get it. Rotational inertia, fluid dynamics, chaos theory, and all the other concepts involved when trying to describe what the disc does usually eludes my comprehension. Once I understand this though, I will surely get it.

I don't care if you ever get it because you've already nailed the best avatar I've seen thus far.

I haven't gotten it yet, but when I look back in the not so distant past I can see that I've come a long way with my skill set. I was strictly BH up until 2 or 3 months ago when I forced myself to learn a FH. I can now flick over 350ft. on golf lines and also learned BH and FH rollers. I still have a long ways to go and a lot to learn but I'm definitely a much more well rounded player than I ever thought I'd be. I just wish I would've discovered this game at a younger age than 35.

Bleak. I'm rapidly approaching 59. I've got more broken body parts than I care to name. I did get some drives out to 350' course distance yesterday Recently drives have been pretty consistent and I've gotten some high praise by the local "pros." But father time doesn't make it any easier.

Bleak. I'm rapidly approaching 59. I've got more broken body parts than I care to name. I did get some drives out to 350' course distance yesterday Recently drives have been pretty consistent and I've gotten some high praise by the local "pros." But father time doesn't make it any easier.

I can only hope that I'm still getting out to 350 when I'm approaching 60 years of age. Keep on playing and don't worry about numbers. I applaud you simpletwist.

I voted 1-3 Years.

1) Join a league. Not only will you be growing the sport, you will see first hand proper disc selection and shot shaping from the more senior players. Likewise, you will be able to see poor disc selection and bad shot selection by the less skilled members. Chances are if you join a club, most members are willing to help you out with whatever issues you have.

2) Supplement your down time with some DGCR reading! There are tons of great threads here on this site.

3) Practice your putting! No sense in driving 450' just to shank a 25' putt

All this put combined, and my game has really come together in the last year.

Latest posts