• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take you to finally get it?

How long did it take?

• 1-3 years

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • 5-8 years

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • The future is bleak.

Votes: 30 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Dougie

Double Eagle Member
Just curious to know how long it took those of you who have everything down. I understand there's no quick fix...just interested in wanting to know how long it took some of you.

I think it all depends on how much you practice/play to get it. I played sporadically for years, but when I started playing at least once a week and put a basket in my backyard for putting practice, then my game went to a whole new level. I'm still not there as I need to get proficient with my forehand and develop good rollers before I have a completely well rounded game.

Tim S.

Depends on your definition of "getting it". I've known from day one what I wanted to do and will never feel like I've reached the pinnacle of my abilities until I ace every hole that is physically possible to ace 100% of the time. Since that will never happen, I will never 100% get it. When you're green you're growing, but when you're ripe you're rotting.

I'd say it really took about 2 years. I played casually for about five years before I really started getting more serious. After two years of serious play I started to piece it all together to where I feel I have a nice consistent, well-rounded game. Of course, I'm always looking to practice more and improve, but I like where my game is now.

I say "getting it" because I always read posts on here where people are saying, "Oh, it finally clicked for me", or "I had the ah-ha moment". It's all relative guys...no need for analyzing it.

I think you might have to clarify what your definition of 'getting it' is.

For one person that might mean being able to execute hyzers, anhyzers, and manipulate the flight of various discs and have an understanding of how you should play a given course based on your skill level.

To other people getting it might mean winning advanced in an a-tier.

A little perspective would help. For me getting it would be consistently shooting par at my home course. I have a lot to work on to achieve that.

Edit: sorry got side tracked with something for work. everyone above beat me to that.

It took me 10 holes and 45 seconds.

It was on the 11th tee of my first round that a kindly stranger explained to me that I was throwing an Ultimate Frisbee and everyone else were throwing Disc Golf Discs. He shows me a beveled edge TeeBird. Steps up and throws it 320. "Oh.....," I say. "I get it."

Next day, purchase Leopard, Tee Bird and use Ultimate Frisbee for around the green.

I say "getting it" because I always read posts on here where people are saying, "Oh, it finally clicked for me", or "I had the ah-ha moment". It's all relative guys...no need for analyzing it.

But there should be many "ah-ha moments". I'm not trying to tear up your thread but it's not like you go "ah-ha" and all of a sudden reach disc golf nirvana. There are "ah-ha" moments when you learn to throw proper hyzers, get the feel of a putter, throw an S shot around two trees, and so on. Plus, think about your medium here - the internet - home of analyzing EVERYTHING.;)

I've "gotten it" many times. Grow, and Plateau...rinse/lather/repeat.

You aren't going to one day become 1000+ rated - there's many steps involved in doing so.

Note: I didn't play seriously until like year 4 of my DG career

I'd say it really took about 2 years. I played casually for about five years before I really started getting more serious. After two years of serious play I started to piece it all together to where I feel I have a nice consistent, well-rounded game. Of course, I'm always looking to practice more and improve, but I like where my game is now.

It took me 10 holes and 45 seconds.

It was on the 11th tee of my first round that a kindly stranger explained to me that I was throwing an Ultimate Frisbee and everyone else were throwing Disc Golf Discs. He shows me a beveled edge TeeBird. Steps up and throws it 320. "Oh.....," I say. "I get it."

Next day, purchase Leopard, Tee Bird and use Ultimate Frisbee for around the green.

Case in point. Brad sees it as playing an overall good round, but Trifocal here got it when someone explained what disc golf discs were.

I was competative in Int by year 2 and likewise in Adv by year 3. If I can do it in that amount of time with a full time job and family, anybody can.

5 yrs of just hangin around bein a respectfull chucker,
2 yrs of learning internet stuff,
& 1 yr of not being stuck on internet stuff and just applying it.

It didnt make me complete but i can throw any disc on a multitude of controlled lines and really play golf.

Get What?

;)

Seriously, I've heard someone say once that, to become an 'expert' at something takes about 10,000 hours of involvement. So to be an expert in a career requires 5 years full time involvement. To be an expert at a sport (say, an Olympian) takes that much time beyond whatever you do to live.

But 'getting it' is definitely a 'light bulb moment' for me, and I hope it happens over and over in this sport. :thmbup: