• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take you to finally get it?

How long did it take?

• 1-3 years

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • 5-8 years

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • The future is bleak.

Votes: 30 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me, "getting it" was becoming consistently competitive in the open division. Took about 3 years for me to get there.

I still don't get it.

I guess the biggest thorn in my side is my inconsistency.
I can play a course one day and shoot well under par. Go back the next day and shoot well over...:\

All I wanted to know was when did things start to click for you. I'm not interested why you want to know. Sorry. :\

I was searching for a definition of "it". To me "it" is the competitive ability. To others it may just be confidence to play competitively. Others just may think of "it" as the pill that keeps them coming back. It could be the first ace, the firtst deuce or just the first day their shots start landing where they are aiming. Everyone has different goals.

I was searching for a definition of "it". To me "it" is the competitive ability. To others it may just be confidence to play competitively. Others just may think of "it" as the pill that keeps them coming back. It could be the first ace, the firtst deuce or just the first day their shots start landing where they are aiming. Everyone has different goals.

Agreed. "Getting it" means different things to different people.

I still don't get it.

I guess the biggest thorn in my side is my inconsistency.
I can play a course one day and shoot well under par. Go back the next day and shoot well over...:\

Right there with you. I can't say I've ever shot "well under par", but I've had days were I felt I was playing really well and days when I couldn't pour p!ss out of a boat with instructions on the heal.

Some people play disc golf and some people compete in disc golf events.

This. I play disc golf solely for competition. I think it'll be a couple years before I "get it". But I am moving forward for sure. I've won a PDGA tourney in Intermediate and placed top 10 multiple times in Advanced. I won't say I've got it until I've won in Open.

Im sure soneone has said this before but I started to get it when I realized dont release the disc it will come out of your hand... Hope this helps someone

The first time I played disc I "got it." The addiction, that is.

Is it bad I was addicted before I even played? I went to academy for stuff and scanned the disc golf stuff 2 years before I played. I was like, man this game would be awesome... I should play. 2 years later my friend was like "i'm going to play disc golf wanna join?" I was like "YES PLEASE."

1/3 a year later here I am. haha

I've been thinking that I "get it" ever since a couple months in but the longer I play the more I "get it" and I don't know that I will ever have fully "gotten it" with new disc technology coming out all the time and a giant plethora of different shots and discs to throw.

It was just over 3 years of tournament play to "get it" on the MPO level. I excelled through MA1 fairly quickly, but never won in advanced. Tried open, had to go back to MA1 to finish the season, gave it another go, didn't cash in 4 big events in CA and then it finally clicked. A combination of good technique (Micah Dorius) and belief/confidence (Carlo Pelg) finally came together. I can't thank those two guys enough for their help and belief in me. If I didn't have Carlo telling me constantly that I was good, getting better, and would succeed, I'm not sure I would have. I sure didn't think that, and not sure he did either, but I believed him.

For me, "getting it" was becoming consistently competitive in the open division. Took about 3 years for me to get there.

I will never be at this point. I am not a natural athlete. Never have been, never will be.

But I can go on the course (not every time, mind you) and throw a game I can be proud of. For me, that is definitely "getting it", as far as what I wanted to achieve when I really sucked.

I can't complain. My game is at the point where I can still surprise myself when I pull off a shot, or string together a number of particularly good holes. It certainly makes rounds fun.

Not necessarily good, but surely fun.

Well I have it but I don't have it. Took me about a year and a half to feel comfortable with my game to compete, but I'm still maybe an advanced player depending on where I'm playing at in the country. Decent distances, but my consistence isn't quite there, and my putting could improve still

So yeah

I get the feeling that I'll never fully get it. I played for over a year and a half before I really buckled down. Once I did, I spent a month just focusing on putting and now spend most of my week working on putting and field work to fix my flaws. THEN, once I have my drives dialed in to where I can land ten putter drives near the same area without turning eight of them over, I'll start working on line shaping both backhand and forehand.

I only play on Sundays and Mondays. Sundays are "pro course day" to really push me and get me into trouble (good practice for getting out of it), and Mondays are "hit whatever course strikes my fancy" day. Any Monday that I have to play alone is "hit a niner so I can see it all coming together and get a decent score" day. Any other day of the week I'm out in the field with a stack of discs and throwing putters at my practice basket. Have I seen improvement from all of this? Well, I've been at it seriously for about a month and a half, so I've only seen minimal improvements so far (mostly in putting). Ask me again in a year.