• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do you use per round?

How many discs used per round?

• <=3

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 74 18.7%
  • 7-9

Votes: 140 35.4%
  • 10-12

Votes: 106 26.8%
  • 13-15

Votes: 43 10.9%
  • 16-18

Votes: 15 3.8%
  • 19-21

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • >21

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters
But I never want to be out on the course and NOT have that one disc....you know which disc I'm talking about.........THAT one....

Yeah, that one! Today I needed it and I didn't have it! Haven't used my Banshee in a bit so I took it out last week and go figure, today I needed it! Well, need is kind of strong, I wanted it. Grrrrrr!

Typically carry my casual bag with 7 discs.
Two PnA
Three Rocs
Two Drivers

This is DG in its most fun form IMO

I would agree. It can be fun to test everything and specialize your bag for shots, but there's something special about knowing your bag, knowing exactly what disc you want to throw every shot, and making a disc weave a tight, curvy fairway because you have no choice!

I've settled into more overlap than you, but I went from 23-25 down to 11-12 and am playing the best golf I've played in a while. Coincidentally, since I last carried 11-12!

I could easily throw two drivers, two Zones, and a Wizard without skipping a beat. It'd be hard to let Rocs go though. Maybe one around 7-8/10.

I went with 13-15. I used to carry 22-24, and would use nearly every one every round. There was a lot of overlap, but if I had a disc work great on one hole I would usually keep carrying it.
Last round out (first real round in 8 years) I had 15, used 14 of them. Put a putter in the wrong pocket and forgot to try it out.

I replied 16-18. But it totally depends on the course.

I have 20 discs in my bag and I will always use at least the majority of discs in it.

In the long ago, I'd generally throw only 4 or 5 discs in a round (didn't carry much more than that). A putter, an approach, and three drivers--US, stable, OS. Lots of rounds where only three of those came out of the bag.

Now, we have fairway drivers and control drivers and distance drivers--oh, my! If one chooses to slot by distance, then simply adding three driver slots in each class adds six discs to the mix. If one wishes to diversify mids, then another couple.

I won't say there's greater purity or somesuch with fewer discs, nor will I say there's greater capability in shot selection with more discs. I think it's a major change to go from one norm to the other, so those who have always played with multiple driver classes will find it interesting to work with fewer and those who started in the long ago will find it a major change to throw with more.

Currently, I'm in the process of adding discs into the lineup to see how it works out. I figure to top out around 13-14 discs. Then see how many I actually get in the habit of using over time. Spent so many years with half a dozen that it feels weird to look in my bag and see so many discs.

I'd say I fall in the 7-9 category, but if we're talking about different molds, probably 5 or so?

Rival
patriot
ghost
wraith
gator
saint pro
motion
hunter
mace.

okay I guess I can't count.

The biggest mistake by beginning players and intermediates alike is lack of simplification with their line up. (Pros too sometimes)

Like three discs. No more.

If you can't throw one mold right don't add until you have perfected the first mold.

I'm still guilty of this from time to time as I'm trying new stuff. Immediately wanting to add it to my bag.

But go out to the field. Test/experiment with you already have and what just came in the mail the other day. Keep doing this until you know everything about your new mold.

Last edited:
The biggest mistake by beginning players and intermediates alike is lack of simplification with their line up. (Pros too sometimes)

3s3k1d.jpg

If you can't throw one mold right don't add until you have perfected the first mold.

I'm still guilty of this from time to time as I'm trying new stuff. Immediately wanting to add it to my bag.

But go out to the field. Test/experiment with you already have and what just came in the mail the other day. Keep doing this until you know everything about your new mold.

Meh, in reality by the time you do that the disc is beat in and you have to start over again.

One of our best local players carries 4 or 5 discs -- max.
But me,
I try to throw straight and flat as much as possible.
I'm one of those people who try to let the disc do the work, so I tend to use a lot of different discs.

Re-thinking that philosophy though.
Now that I have cleaned up my form somewhat, I find that it is easier to control various release angles when you have decent form.
Catch me next year sometime...

I carried 17 around last night, but used only 10 to shoot a 1031 DGCR rated -4 at Pier Park. So I'm going to say 10 is what it takes.

I carried 17 around last night, but used only 10 to shoot a 1031 DGCR rated -4 at Pier Park. So I'm going to say 10 is what it takes.

Congrats. That's impressive.

Been on a road trip and played Parma today and Widener Park yesterday, both days I used 8 discs out of the 14 I carry.

I've noticed since I've been improving over the last year, I use my mids and utility discs far less than I once did. Two years ago I almost never used fairways, now I use them all the time and putters where I used to use mids.

Totally depends on the course. If a specific disc is working I'll use it off the pad all day if the course will allow it.