• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do you use per round?

How many discs used per round?

• <=3

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 74 18.7%
  • 7-9

Votes: 140 35.4%
  • 10-12

Votes: 106 26.8%
  • 13-15

Votes: 43 10.9%
  • 16-18

Votes: 15 3.8%
  • 19-21

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • >21

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters
I normally take 20-30 discs in my Golf Mahal, but only use 7-10 and even worse lately since I've been doing putter mid only rounds. Its always fun to have the extras if you find that hole where you just want to empty your bag or play extras.

Through most of the years I've played, I've typically used only four or five different discs during a round. Now that I'm working on learning new discs and trying to fit the discs to the throws, I'm carrying more models, though I may still only use half a dozen in a given round. SO, the number may rise to 7-9 or resume the 4-6 habit.

I carry 9 discs and use all 9, each a different mold. I usually keep some extra discs in the car depending on conditions or course that I can swap out.

The problem is the answer can be very round specific, even on the same course. I carry 18 discs, and I'd say at least 12 of them usually get used once per round, but probably 4-5 of them do 75+% of the work.

I think maybe some of us could do an experiment though to find a ballpark answer.

Pretty much this exactly.

Also to note the more I'm off the fairway the more discs I use.

8-10. OS/US pairing from distance drivers all the way down, with a utility disc or 2 tossed in.

I put 7-9, but it really depends on the course. If it's a short course, I may only use my three putters. If I'm playing in a downpour, I'll switch from my 14 disc bag to my 9 disc bag and use mostly DX discs. But really, I would say the more variety a course has in hole design requires more of my discs to be used.

Really depends on the course, the weather, and how well I'm throwing that day. Could be 3, could be 15.

Pretty much. I could definitely get by with just a couple of discs, but I have a bunch and it's fun to throw as many different discs as I can. Some discs are course specific, some are weather specific and some are thrown just because I haven't used them in awhile.

Good question... In a typical round?

Putting: Zero Soft Pure
Approach: Opto or Zero Soft Pure (depending on potential of skip).
Mid: Cryztal Buzzz, Cryztal FLX Zone.
Off the tee: 11x Gazelle, DX Gazelle, Opto Trident, Champ Banshee.

I still carry a couple of other discs, but those are losing air time to the ones I just listed.

So... 8.

i carry 20+ discs...but that includes 3 bosses, 2 apes, and 2 zones.

I would say i usually use my colt, one of the zones (the second is simply a backup in case I lose it), one of my midranges, one of my fairway drivers, and maybe 2-3 drivers.

I carry a lot of other discs that I only use for specialty shots...zephyr for short shots with glide, max weight condor for punching out of the deep rough, an envy for short backhand flicks, a hilariously beatup wraith for tomahawks, etc. I'd say I end up using maybe one of these per round at some point.

So I probably use somewhere in the range of 8-9 discs in a given round.

Last round was at Lincoln Ridge. The discs I threw were Switch, Cyclone, PD, Roc, Zone, Zone, Proxy, Wizard...I guess that means 8

Winton Woods, though, is 3: Zone, Proxy, Wizard

Generally I carry 8 and throw all 8, but I just got a Shift and have 17 in it right now. I'm playing with configurations and different discs for different holes, throwing some discs I haven't thrown in months just for fun, so it's a bit more the last couple rounds. I'm sure once the excitement of the new bag wears off, I'll drop back down to about 8 or 9 and carry the rest as backups or utility that won't likely be used in a round.

11 discs at Timmons:
1-Mako3 2-Wizard 3-Mako3 4-TL3 5-Tern 6-Star Mako3 7-Rhyno 8-Star Mako3 9-Destroyer 10-Leopard 11-Sidewinder 12-Roc3 13-Tern 14-Rhyno 15-Mako3 16-Star Mako3 17-Wizard 18-Sidewinder + Putter

11 at Pipeline:
1-Star Mako3 2-Champ Mako3 3-Sidewinder 4-StarMako3 5-Sidewinder#2 6-TL3 7-TL3 8-Sidewinder 9-TL 10-Sidewinder 11-Star Mako3 12-Tern 13-ChMako3 14-Star Mako3 15-Rhyno 16-Destroyer 17-Sidewinder 18-Thunderbird + putter

9 at Central:
1-TL3 2-Sidewinder 3-ChMako3 4-Tern 5-TL 6-Tern 7-Tern 8-TL3 9-TL 10-TL 11-TL3 12-Roc3 13-TL 14-Wizard 15-ChMako3 16-StarMako3 17-ChMako3 18-StarMako3 + putter

10 at Shoally:
1-Tern 2-Tern 3-StMako3 4-Leopard 5-Tern 6-Roc3 7-Wizard 8-StMako3 9-Thunderbird 10-ChMako3 11-TL 12-Sidewinder 13-Sidewinder 14-TL 15-ChMako3 16-Sidewinder 17-TL 18-StMako3 + putter

Looks like 9-11 on average

10-12. But I only carry 14, so I use the majority. Easier courses can be as low as 3-4, harder courses could be all 14.

I carry eight discs in my bag. In one round, I use 6-7 of my discs. However on most holes, I will only use 2-3 of them.

Really depends on the course. At a tough gold-level course I might throw 20+ in one round. Or I can play an easy open course and throw CPD, Firebird, Wizard all day long.

Interesting responses so far. I tend to carry only the discs I use regularly cause I don't want the bulk & weight of 20+ discs. I'm actually thinking about dropping a disc or two that aren't getting used very often. But I understand the desire to have back-ups and carrying discs to break them in.

Depending on what setup/bag Im running with that day, I carry anywhere between 10 and 18 discs. Most of my molds are Mids and then fairways as my home course is predominantly wooded. Most of the teeshots are fairways or mids. Going with my main bag, a round would look roughly like this:

1: Hatchet / KC Aviar
2: Underworld / KC Aviar
3: Claymore / KC Aviar
4: River / KC
5: Pro Valkyrie / KC
6: Axis / KC
7: Champ Teebird / KC
8: Champ Eagle / Zone / KC
9: River / Claymore / KC
10: TL / KC
11: Axis / Zone / KC
12: Claymore / KC
13: Orc / Roc3 / KC
14: KC
15: Pro Valkyrie / Roc3 / KC
16: Claymore / Pro Valk / KC
17: River / KC
18: Hatchet / KC

So roughly 13 molds. More or less depending on how well or how poor the tee shot went. But on an average round thats what I'd throw. I voted 7-9 before mapping this out. Some rounds thats probably true, not on average though.

I carry 18 and probably throw 10-13 and I have backups in most molds.

Could easily get by with 6 but I like having some options, and I don't like throwing my main putters so that's a couple assured there.