• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many members are in your local disc golf club?

i dont know, too many.

i am the only member in my super exclusive disc party rock and roll club however. dont try to pledge, unless you really kickass at bass.

The Nanaimo Disc Golf Club gets about 45-60 members per year, with about 15-25 playing on a regular basis, depending on the season. Membership comes with buying a bag tag ($10).

I believe we, Whitewater Valley Disc Golf Association (Richmond, IN), became official in 2012. Last summer there was 30 bag tags handed out (you have to be a member to get a tag), but I know that there were still some people that were "members" but did no get into the bag tags. There really isn't any instant perks to being a member other than the bag tags and the ability to play a private course that isn't maintained will. With the membership and a few tourneys, the club has been able to put in a public course which is helping grow the sport quite a bit in our area as well as we are about to get started on another local course in the area.

We formally charterd last March and have 50+ members this year, tho we've had Leagues running since 2010. Our club is opening a new public course 30 miles north in what was a couse-less county. We expect to see another large increase to the membership body 2nd half of the year.

Right now we have a good core group of golfers that vary across skill level and age spectrem. We've reached that sweet spot (honeymoon period) where Club moral is high and anybody new to the area, no matter their skill level or age, can come to any club event (weekly/monthly) and not feel out of place. Current members are introducing friends to the sport and those that take to it are joining the club. So right now it's fairly self-sufficient.

if anybody's struggling i'd be happy to share some advice and tips in PM's.

SFDGC has about 300 paying members. But tens of thousands of non members come to play at golden gate park.

The New Hanover County Disc Golf Club has about 120 or so members, but about 40 hardcore players. Just a guesstimate, but it's an outstanding club regardless.
Nemmers I don't think it is quite that big. We sold around 80 tags last year and probably 10 or so of those were tags alone as opposed to memberships.

Lets see if we can get 120 active members this year!! We have seen great growth over the past 3 years with people like my man Nemmers here so 120 is not out of the question at all.

Over the last 3 Years we have had around 60 current dues paying members each year. out of those 60 we used to see about 5 or 6 at meetings and about 10 to 12 or so at work days. Now we are seeing around 15 to 18 people at meetings so the growth has already begun.

Last edited:
Formerly a member of the delaveaga disc golf club and silicon valley disc golf club for one year seasons. Moved out of the areas, but both clubs had hundreds of members.

I know a lot of the guys on the San Francisco DGC, but truthfully I don't like golden gate park and would cut my leg off before joining that club.

Just starting a local club named 'Hyzer Than You'-- we have a whopping 8 members(all good friends). That being said I have refused the last 15-20 people who wanted to join until we have our club stamped discs from Gateway. Going to have a small tournament to get a lot of members and bag tags out on one day, then the rest will happen gradually on our club meet ups throughout the week.

Goal for the year: 50-100 members, which shouldn't be too hard given the size of the San Francisco DGC.

Stamps for my clubs Wizards: http://imgur.com/a/UrOi6

If anyone plays a fair amount in the bay area, you should let me know so I can add you to our email list~

I know a lot of the guys on the San Francisco DGC, but truthfully I don't like golden gate park and would cut my leg off before joining that club.~
haha.
How to spot a SF DGC member:
1) Has a grip bag
2) Carries 30+ discs
3) Tries to buy and sell CE like its a commodity market
4) Etiquette police
5) Rated < 900
6) Throws side arm flex shots for distance.

Not sure this is 100% up to date, but the Charlotte DGC website has(d) us @ 130 paidup members for 2013.

Which is kind of sad, honestly, or at least kinda suprising, considering what's available here thanks to the club, for only $25/yr.

2013 was my first year, so I'll go out on a limb now and say my goal for 2014 will be to get somebody else to join up.

In the small community of Ridgecresst, CA we are setting our temporary league course up in a community park with 9 members and always looking to grow.

whoa what's with the hating on GGP and the SFDGC? Oh I see...how many MEMBERS are in the local club. Yeah, dicks are everywhere I guess ;-)

Jefferson City Disc Golf Club just sold 2013 Tag #98 the other day... we only ordered 100 and new club year starts in April.

This is really good growth as in 2011 I believe there were right around 40 members and in 2012, close to 70.

We're buying 150 tags for 2014 season... Also have two new courses going in at the same time as the number of non-league rounds are on the upswing. There is always somebody in the parking lot if the weather is halfway decent.

West Sound Disc Golf Assn.in Kitsap County, WA, has 93 paid members as of january 4th, the day we held our Ice Bowl. Our twice-weekly dubs draws from 15 to 25 +/- a week. Our monthly series of tournaments, which run from April to Sept., always max out at 72 players, although I would guess maybe only half are actually club members. The club is responsible for all the maintenance of 4 of the local courses. We also got a really nice 3 page write up in the Summer 2012 issue of discgolfer magazine.

I'm going to take Monty numbers one step further with some side data.

Members (active) is hovering at about 100. "membership numbers ever given" near or above 300 (in ten year period or so) (speaks to many renewals year over year, with slow adds, though ramping up)

About 250 people "like" our club facebook page, so they get our info and that could be considered intentional "Associating" with us in some way. Any given FB posting gets about 200 views, unless one takes off and spreads regionally.

Leagues and tags: Leagues and tags in any area will represent a subset of the disc golf playing population of an area. Our area would support the idea that its a small percentage by number. Our membership is not purely centered around money leagues or tags, nor is there heavy gifting (or subsidizing members by commodity goods)

Those that have their eyes open in our area seem to agree with a power of ten rule.

For us that is
3,000 unique players on our courses (at least one round per year)
300 unique players when we add up all sign in sheet names for all locals events for the year (wide group with many different motivations)
and about 30 that would be hot for Tags, or buy-in/pooled money leagues.

I believe the San Diego Aces were over 600 members in 2013 and are already over 200 members for 2014.

Sandiegoaces.com

Morgantown Mountain Goats
35~40 members with tags
8~20 for weekly singles
tournaments draw around 50 people

(I think these numbers are pretty close)

Latest posts