• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many members are in your local disc golf club?

Prescott's Disc Golf Club might boast over 150(?) members on it's Facebook page, but we average from 6 to 10 people at league. I happened to make it to doubles in Maricopa a couple Sundays ago. Maricopa's doubles drew over 30 players… last weekend in Prescott the doubles drew 6 players(including me). Shoot, the man who petitioned the city to have the course built AND started the club won't even show up for leagues. He has said that he doesn't want to pay the $5.00(new course seed money minus award & ace pool), which is his prerogative, but it displays the enthusiasm(or more precisely the lack thereof) of the local club scene. As of now Prescott is still in its' "chucker" infancy.

Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society has 104 lifetime members, but I am not sure how many are still active. I know I don't recognize a lot of names on it. In addition to the lifetime members there are 59 other members.

The club I am most active in is small. 20 tags sold in 2014 so far. The club is for a single course that has a very limited number of people that play it.

Some of the other Houston area clubs are much bigger.

Going by bag tag numbers 60 something, but we'll sell anyone a tag. I'd say the hardcore part of the group is more like 20.

Mad City Disc Golf (Madison, WI) has around 200 members. I believe numbers were down a little in 2013.

Last edited:
Our (Mad City Disc Golf) annual membership was down to the 150 range this year, after a number of years of growth had us up to around 200 last year. I think that the two City of Madison courses (Elver and Hiestand) switching to pay-for-play in 2013 had some effect on our membership.

Great responses so far. I can't believe how big disc golf is in St. Louis.
St. Louis got a course in 1979. It took close to 10 years to get a second. About 5-6 years after that the third and fourth went in. It took about 15 years and several more course to get that club up to 500 members. It takes time.

They also made 500 members a goal and made a big push to jump up from around 200 to 500 members. There were incentives to members to sign up new members, competition between course captains to have the most members list their course as their "home" course, stuff like that. Had they just sat back and waited for people to join they would probably still be a 200-300 member club.

Great responses so far. I can't believe how big disc golf is in St. Louis.

How about some west coast clubs?

Yeah, it's a lot bigger her than we really get credit for. Between the StL club, St. Charles, Jefferson County & Southern Illinois clubs, there are probably nearly 1,000 paying members. Naturally there is some overlap, but the 4 local clubs work pretty well together.
During the warmer months, one could play a league or weekly every day of the week. Since the St. Louis area is so spread out, there are often more than 1 league option per day. Gateway has really started getting involved in running tournaments & leagues recently & I think it is (mostly) good for the local DG scene.
Plus, new courses are sprouting up all over the place here. In the past 1-3 years we've gotten 8 new 18 hole courses and almost all of them rank 3 or better on the DGCR rating scale.

West Sound Disc Golf Assn.in Kitsap County, WA, has 93 paid members as of january 4th, the day we held our Ice Bowl. Our twice-weekly dubs draws from 15 to 25 +/- a week. Our monthly series of tournaments, which run from April to Sept., always max out at 72 players, although I would guess maybe only half are actually club members. The club is responsible for all the maintenance of 4 of the local courses. We also got a really nice 3 page write up in the Summer 2012 issue of discgolfer magazine.

I joined a club when it started in August 2013 in State College, PA. Since it was our first year, membership was free with no perks. By the end of the year we had 56 members. We had a group average of 10-15 most weeks. We are in the planning stages for this year. I hope to become an officer in the club this year, offer the members some perks for a paid membership, and continue to promote the sport and try to grow the courses in the area. We have 2, 9 hole courses in town, and 4, 9 hole courses within 45 minutes. We are in need of some 18 hole courses badly. We had a lead on some private land with enough for 18, likely 27. We started work on it last year and had it cleaned up enough to play a 9 hole temporary setup for our league championship. I have high hopes for this year!

St. Louis got a course in 1979. It took close to 10 years to get a second. About 5-6 years after that the third and fourth went in. It took about 15 years and several more course to get that club up to 500 members. It takes time.

They also made 500 members a goal and made a big push to jump up from around 200 to 500 members. There were incentives to members to sign up new members, competition between course captains to have the most members list their course as their "home" course, stuff like that. Had they just sat back and waited for people to join they would probably still be a 200-300 member club.

Thanks for sharing how your club grew. What incentives did you offer new members, and how much does annual membership cost?

Going by bag tag numbers 60 something, but we'll sell anyone a tag. I'd say the hardcore part of the group is more like 20.

Same for Emporia. We have almost 60 total now with bag tags but probably twenty really come out often. More will in the spring and summer I imagine. In those people are about 4 smaller clubs but everyone will challenge and play together when it's nice or money is involved.

In central PA we have a few clubs within 30-40 minutes of one another each specific to a single course or a set of courses in the case of Pinchot State Park. The Carlisle Coyotes had around 45 members with between 5-20 showing up for any one league night, Creekside Crawdads with a total membership of 26 and about 5-15 on a league night, and the Pinchot Stat Park Llamas with a total of 66 members and (I only attended once or twice so this is an estimate) 10-30 members on any night.

These are all tag leagues with a one time tag fee ($20?), and the only recurring fee being a $1 optional ace pot.