• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people play disc golf in the snow?

I have the past week since we've had an unusual amount of snow. Played in 6" of snow today with 1/2" layer of ice on top of that, so definitely poor footing (especially on tee pads). I don't mind the snow so much, but it's clear that a lot of people in my area do (tournament tomorrow canceled and very few actually on the course).

At least 4 of us from DGCR are playing tomorrow at Middletown for their ice bowl. I've played with all three of the others.

It's a triples tournament. Should be a good time. It will be interesting to see if there are more from on here that show up that I get to meet. Hopefully I'll get some decent pics... and maybe even some video.

I have the past week since we've had an unusual amount of snow. Played in 6" of snow today with 1/2" layer of ice on top of that, so definitely poor footing (especially on tee pads). I don't mind the snow so much, but it's clear that a lot of people in my area do (tournament tomorrow canceled and very few actually on the course).

Welcome, glad you could join us!;)

Played a round at Horning's Hideout (DGCR's #6 Course of 2010) for my birthday. There was an inch or two of light snow all over the property made for some very scenic and fun disc golf.

GGGT has their annual Ice Bowl Winter Carnival tournament in two weeks. This year's tournament includes one flex start round on Saturday, another seperate round on Sunday, and if you are hardcore like me, a marathon round Saturday night that is play until you drop. I am signed up for all three; 18 straight hours of disc golf in the snow. I hope that I have enough dry socks, gloves, and disc towels to keep me going.

GGGT has their annual Ice Bowl Winter Carnival tournament in two weeks. This year's tournament includes one flex start round on Saturday, another seperate round on Sunday, and if you are hardcore like me, a marathon round Saturday night that is play until you drop. I am signed up for all three; 18 straight hours of disc golf in the snow. I hope that I have enough dry socks, gloves, and disc towels to keep me going.

I've been considering either one day or the other, (possibly both) depends on where I am at the time.

Just played a round with my son today in the snow. Spent awhile trying to find his disc in some reed type tall grass covered in snow. Found his disc and a brand new LS Polaris complete with price tag.

I don't mind playing in snow. But once I loose my footing on pads, or I start burying too many discs in deep snow I call it quits until it melts a little. It can make for some picturesque disc golf.

I'm heading to the K-Town Ice Bowl at Log Lake on Sunday. We already have up to 24" of snow in spots and there's a big storm headed our way tonight. They're predicting 2-6", but that could mean we'll get nothing or we'll get 10". :doh: It'll be my first time back on a course since September or so.....I'm geeked! My discs are all ribboned up and ready to go.

10 degrees and two ft of snow. Might have to shovel all the tee pads again after the next storm, never tried the yarn thing, just tape a piece on the middle? Wonder what it would look like in slow motion.

i am playing in about five feet of snow this winter

But us minnesotans like it this way

Dude im from brainerd, I know the cities got a lot of snow but not that much. It's five ft in the areas that are plowed. Everyone imagine walking through five ft snow when a human leg is about three ft tall. You'd have to plow walking trails and when you threw, the disc wouldnt go ten ft.

Ill bring an old cassett tape and clear duck tape, if needed.

Cassette....tape? :confused::p Sounds like a good idea, never thought about using that.

Playing in the snow is great because its usually like a ghost town at the course. Got an ice bowl here tomorrow and there's about 3in on the ground. Should be sweet, light snow and 7-14mph wind. First tourney ever for me too! Can't wait! :D

You'll have a GREAT time!! Ice Bowls are so much more relaxed than other tournaments.

Dude im from brainerd, I know the cities got a lot of snow but not that much. It's five ft in the areas that are plowed. Everyone imagine walking through five ft snow when a human leg is about three ft tall. You'd have to plow walking trails and when you threw, the disc wouldnt go ten ft.

It is getting bad in the Twin Cities suburbs but still playable if you have trained spotters, a lot of patience, and or ribbons and lights. I made the mistake of ribboning up my discs with the cheap ribbon that curls. That stuff is no good. What else is no good is Gorrila tape. Once it touches snow it no longer grips the plastic. I have had a few come undone when smacking a tree. Not good to see the ribbon go one way and the disc go the other.

I am thinking about trying out the Plymouth Creek Saturday league tomorrow if life does not happen. All this fresh snow we got today along with anything tonight on top of a course that has a few nasty blind spots is going to make life miserable if we do not have good spotters.

The question I have for the person who uses yarn, how does that affect the disc's flight and glide? We are talking a minimum two feet of yarn to be useful in this snow, if not more. Discs that normally depend on glide became just absolute pigs with my ribbons attached to them. I was getting moderate results with the discs I had to muscle before they were ribboned up, so likely they are the ones to get treated this time around.

I played the other day while it was snowing, but it wasnt deep or anything. I almost got an ace. Hit the chains.

Latest posts