• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many putter molds do you have?

Putters are my favorite discs, and I've tried out most of them at one point or another.

But for 95% of the time I've played DG I only went with one putter mold in my bag at a time. I had times where I flirted with Wizards / Magics combo, and tested a VP for about a week, but other than that it's only one at a time.

Putters are my most crucial discs and for some reason I think it messes up my consistency when I use multiple molds. I don't like looking at a high ceiling 200' straight approach shot and thinking, should I use my Wizard or my Magic? I'd rather just carrying different weights, plastics and stages of wear of 1 mold.

Right now it's just two soft Ions, a 171 and 175, and a 164 medium for extra carry / less fade.

I putt like Johnny Miller after he won the U.S. Open with a 63, consequently I have a several unreliable putters.

Voodoo sss---thats reserved for anything withing 3-4 paces of the basket.
Wizard s---thats 5-7 paces, a little stiffer, a little faster
Warlock sss---8 paces out to the circle.
Voodoo sss--- takes up the slack outside the circle out to about 45'
Wizard s--- out to about 55'
Pro Rhyno----55-75' down hillers
JK Aviar----55-75' on the flats or uphill

I have another system with my putters if wind is ever involved. It's based on the Beaufort scale. I substitute paces ( about 2" shy of a yard) for metres ( about 4" longer than a yard) and then apply the Beaufort scale to head winds, tail winds, etc.

So, for example, if I rate a head wind at a 5 on the Beaufort Scale ( fresh breeze, leaves move in trees) then I'll add 2 meters to my virtual length of flight and use the appropriate putter.

Moving up to Force 7 on the Beaufort Scale ( near gale, tree limbs may sway and resistance is felt when walking) I'll start by adding the 2 meters from the Force 5 head wind and then add the Force 7 factor ( 4 meters, trust me...it's 4 meters). So 2 plus 4 is 6 meters and I'll add 6 meters to a 4 pace headwind putt resulting in an effective putt length of 31' and 3"s. I'll be throwing the Warlock sss for that putt. I'll probably miss but have an easy second put from about 4-5 feet.

I probably missed left....I often miss left, but thats okay because now I have a left to right side wind ( Force 7, near gale) and I can use that gale to help lift a Wizard on a slight annie into the chains. I'll line this putt up using The Hendricks nubbin just left of center and 7 links up from the bottom link ( 7 links= Force 7 wind.....remember?)

I make a lot of pars this way.

tWO.

kc pro for within 30ft. and either star or dx for jump putts outside 30 or for drives.

Putters are my favorite discs, and I've tried out most of them at one point or another.

But for 95% of the time I've played DG I only went with one putter mold in my bag at a time. I had times where I flirted with Wizards / Magics combo, and tested a VP for about a week, but other than that it's only one at a time.

Putters are my most crucial discs and for some reason I think it messes up my consistency when I use multiple molds. I don't like looking at a high ceiling 200' straight approach shot and thinking, should I use my Wizard or my Magic? I'd rather just carrying different weights, plastics and stages of wear of 1 mold.

Right now it's just two soft Ions, a 171 and 175, and a 164 medium for extra carry / less fade.

i agree with this 100%. i was rocking the vibram triple threat for a while, the rhyno and eco dart, the rhyno and xd, and finally wanted one putter mold that i could do everything with. so i settled on the wizard. i briefly tested the ion and didn't think anything special of it, but that was almost a year ago and my form throwing a putter off the tee has improved quite a bit.

Wow. When I putt, I try to put my frisbee in the basket. o_O

I putt like Johnny Miller after he won the U.S. Open with a 63, consequently I have a several unreliable putters.

I have another system with my putters if wind is ever involved. It's based on the Beaufort scale. I substitute paces ( about 2" shy of a yard) for metres ( about 4" longer than a yard) and then apply the Beaufort scale to head winds, tail winds, etc.

So, for example, if I rate a head wind at a 5 on the Beaufort Scale ( fresh breeze, leaves move in trees) then I'll add 2 meters to my virtual length of flight and use the appropriate putter.

Moving up to Force 7 on the Beaufort Scale ( near gale, tree limbs may sway and resistance is felt when walking) I'll start by adding the 2 meters from the Force 5 head wind and then add the Force 7 factor ( 4 meters, trust me...it's 4 meters). So 2 plus 4 is 6 meters and I'll add 6 meters to a 4 pace headwind putt resulting in an effective putt length of 31' and 3"s. I'll be throwing the Warlock sss for that putt. I'll probably miss but have an easy second put from about 4-5 feet.

I probably missed left....I often miss left, but thats okay because now I have a left to right side wind ( Force 7, near gale) and I can use that gale to help lift a Wizard on a slight annie into the chains. I'll line this putt up using The Hendricks nubbin just left of center and 7 links up from the bottom link ( 7 links= Force 7 wind.....remember?)

I carry two, but I'm going to be limiting that to one I think. I rock 3 rhynos at the moment. Newer stiff Pro, older floppy Pro, really beat DX and I'm adding a heavy new DX and a lighter DX. Had an Aviar that I carried around for anny shots, but the 145g rhyno I have should fit that bill :) I love shooting everything with a Rhyno or Buzzz if I can get away with it.

but do you make any birdies? how often do you get called on a 30 second warning for making all those calculations?

:popcorn:

Wholly Crap...

Pick a long mold and a short mold- that's it! Any more is unnecessary... Glidey and stable works for me!

aj

In the bag I have 3 putters:

new(ish) dx glo aviar
beat dx glo aviar
really beat flat top aviar (same as glo really)

I consider the strongest part of my game to be from 150 to 50 feet which is where I primarily use my aviars.

Less is more. Therefore I only use Voodoos to putt and approach. Still have a DX Aviar in the back for backup.

7 kc pro aviars what i like best, 3 star aviars, 1 champion aviar, 1 R pro hydra that I use..and more putters that I don't get used. Most of the time 2 or 3 kc's and 2 star aviar's are in the bag.

Last edited:
All I have is 5 or so discs. 4 challengers. (flx-straight/anhyzer) (2 pro d- for putting) (cryztal z for hyzers) also carry a magnet for anhyzers

How many putter molds do you have?

Three if you count my Aeros that I use as driving putters. The Aviars that I used to use and now practice with, (I have about ten of those) and the Lightnings that I use for play. (I have maybe five of those.)