• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often do you use spin drives?

How often do you do spinning drives?

• Never, I don't find any benefit

Votes: 138 90.2%
  • Sometimes when I really need extra D on an open hole

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • All the time

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters

MNcyclone

Double Eagle Member
I have recently been experimenting with spinning drives, and I have been impressed with the results. I always assumed it would be hard to keep yourself on the pad, but it turns out I really don't have a problem doing that. I easily ad another 30' to drives doing the spin approach, and I am toying with the idea of doing it for all of my longish drives. I'm just wondering how often you guys pull out the spin drive on actual rounds. Also, any perceived weaknesses/strengths?

360 run up right? I think they are mainly used for distance competition, because the really mess with (most) people's accuracy.

I tried it a couple times and I sprayed my drives high and super nose up

Doing some 360 drives can really give you a good feeling for how your arm should be coming around your body on your x-step drives.

That is exactly what I have found. It just seems like my arm is getting into the perfect position after the 360 and into the pull.

There is no way i could do it ive tried a couple times but i always almost fall on my ass. I had a buddy last year when he first started and i was teaching him how to play and he started doing that cause he thought it looked cool. I let him to it so he would have to learn the hard way also it helped him get his arm in the right position, but he had pretty much no accuracy and it was very inconsistent.

there is only one guy i know that can actually pull off the 360 with some consistent success. i've never even tried one, so i never use them i guess!

I voted all the time.

I was jk.

I've never used them in a golf round, only for fun in practice.

360 run up right? I think they are mainly used for distance competition, because the really mess with (most) people's accuracy.

I tried it a couple times and I sprayed my drives high and super nose up

Pretty much this. All it gives you extra reach back. If you (or anyone) could be consistent at this approach, you'd see it in play more often. But you don't, it leaves such a wide gap of miscalculation it's not worth it. Stand backwards to your target, you'll actually get similar results....

When I do it I get insanely amazing snap and no accuracy...but doing it has helped me correct my regular form.

I have never done it in an actual round though..to answer the question :D

Novelty... maybe in a doubles round if I had ALOT of room. I gotta have room for a ridiculous AnHyzer.

I'm not coordinated enough to get much benefit from a 360 drive, I don't get any more distance (probably because I have no idea what I'm doing), and I lose a lot of accuracy.

Novelty... maybe in a doubles round if I had ALOT of room. I gotta have room for a ridiculous AnHyzer.

Especially with old guys walking on the course.

I've never seen anyone do one during a round and honestly I would laugh. Most teepads I would imagine are not wide enough to do it safely and you would have to have a very open hole. I guess I figure if Jeremy Koling can throw a flick with a simple run up over the water at Winthrop there are better ways to find distance than a 360.

And I remember playing with him when he was just starting out :/...

I'm pretty sure mcbeth is a distance competition guy, but I doubt he uses it for normal golf

The scott stokely vid has a decent breakdown.

At lola, a longer 9 hole, a river through the course hinders flow. You have to walk back nine to the road/bridge. Road/bridge to hole 1's basket is the only place I try a 360....unsucessfully:(

Ive seen a guy do this with amazing success, but not the 360 you guys have seen. He was a state champion discus thrower, so he throws disc golf discs the same way. The only downside is he can only throw distance shots (some flex, hyzer flips, or straight) or huge hyzers, no annys, with this style.

I get plenty of D out of my X-step. "Discraft disc golf clinic: More distance now" demonstrates this perfectly (Sorry, youtube is blocked here, so I can't link it in). Put your butt to the target and you'll get about the same amount of momentum without having to worry about falling down.