• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to cope with the heat?

try cutting your sports drinks and juices with water ( like 1to1) you still need the carbs and vitamins

also potassium for cramps( bananas , avocodos)

this is great advice. when i played in baseball in college we had two coolers one with water the other with watered down gatorade. always watered down. too much sugar in gatorade will bring you right up but bring you down just as fast making you feel energyless.

also i might add coconut water has a huge amount of potassium and electrolytes and very little sugar (dont get goya or any sugar added coconut water)
i think that this is the best alternative to gotarade

also i might add coconut water has a huge amount of potassium and electrolytes and very little sugar (dont get goya or any sugar added coconut water)
i think that this is the best alternative to gotarade
coconut water kicks azz good point:thmbup:,

i really like the kind with the bits , something to chew on to keep down the nerves while your walking up to putt. it might just be the ultimate dg drink.

i just shot my best round ever at burke crenshaw(-6) , and i ate banana on the first tee

If you like pickles mixing pickle juice and water 1-1 also is good for avoiding cramps.

I always carry a 1.5 L bottle of water with me and freeze it overnight and that way I have cold water during the whole round. I switched to Dri-Fit tees and shorts after the last summer of this goddamned TX heat beating me down and it really is a lifesaver. I used to wear cargo shorts and a cotton tee but now I refuse to go out even on cooler days without my dri-fits.

Dri-Fits
A towel soaked in water on the back of your neck. Stop at water holes or use some of your bottled water to re-wet it.
SHOW UP HYDRATED AND STAY HYDRATED. Bring more than you think you will need and keep it cold...
Find shade when you can

Try to condition yourself without punishing yourself... if that makes any sense. (Systematic desensitization)

Last edited:
I would second the coconut water too, in a lot of ways it's much better for you than most of the sports drinks out there. But, some people they don't like the consistency and way it feels in the mouth, you let that get warm/hot and good luck trying to convince those that are hesitant to try it because it will likely turn them off of it forever. This is best cold or cool especially if you haven't tried it before.

Still it's a great thing to drink and the benefits of it really can't be debated.

Lots of water.
Slow down your pace of play.
Large, shading hat and sunscreen for your skin.
Sunglasses.

You can get a wide brimmed, ventilated hat from Walmart for about $10. Also, use sunblock to protect your skin. I also freeze bottles of water, so when I take them to the course, as they thaw, I have ice cold water to drink. Also, I drink gatoraid after my round.

Also, try to find some shade on the course when you can, and play in the mornings when you can. Also , pace yourself, and if you feel tired, to go for that second round, call it a day. Don't push yourself that hard.

^ not suprisingly, very solid advice.

Other thoughts:

Play well wooded courses that offer decent shade.

Try playing a round with just 2 or 3 discs... amazing how much some of our bags weigh, and how much less it takes out of you when you shed your load by 15 discs or so, plus with only a couple of discs, you don't need a bag - lessens your load even more.

Bonus: I was amazed how well I played with just a Leopard and a Challenger... pick two of your favorites and give it a try:
Tee Bird + Wizard
Roc + Aviar
whatever combo works for you.

Re: Heat

I suck it up like a man and if things get real bad, I just remember that it's better than forced labor under the same conditions. :|