• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How you can tell course ratings are BS on here

Gold level course should be loved by those that love good courses; regardless of their level. On a gold course, during the play; you know you're getting a beat down; but, it's obvious you're supposed to be. Blue level leaves you feeling a little more like you should have done better. Chuck's insights into gold level player thinking are nice....

Paul, I think with as much as you like Nevin, you'd love Jackson. It's like a prettier, more polished Nevin. When you guys comin' back down this way?

What does it say about me that even though I really like both the Jackson and "Steady" Ed, I like the Jackson more, and I'm far from even a blue level player,
Not that you fit this profile but it's not uncommon for lower level players to like gold rather than blue level because they know the course is for the top players and many times the design parameters match the lower level players skill level with a par one higher per hole. The fairways were made wider on the Jackson partly because the players are expected to throw much longer, but also, with the shorelines on Steady Ed, we had to be more careful about taking out hardwood trees near them based on the policy from the Corp of Engineers. Jackson had mostly pines which could be taken out at will regardless of size becuase the pine beetles get them after 10 -15 years anyway.

There's an interesting psychology I sometimes see when a player plays a course that's at their skill level whether blue or gold. Some good blue level players, maybe on more open courses, get frustrated on Steady Ed or maybe Blueberry because they know they should be doing well on a course designed for them. But they can't hit the lines or play smart. Same thing with gold level players. They are so used to tearing up blue level courses in their region that when they have a gold level course to tackle, they can't deliver. Not doing well on a course for your level eats at your self image a little more. If you're playing a gold level course and your level is lower than gold, there's less of your self image at stake because you can accept that the course is out of your skill range. But, play a course at your skill level that you're supposed to master, well then that can add some pressure to players who are used to looking good.

Last edited:
Not that you fit this profile but it's not uncommon for lower level players to like gold rather than blue level because they know the course is for the top players and many times the design parameters match the lower level players skill level with a par one higher per hole. The fairways were made wider on the Jackson partly because the players are expected to throw much longer, but also, with the shorelines on Steady Ed, we had to be more careful about taking out hardwood trees near them based on the policy from the Corp of Engineers. Jackson had mostly pines which could be taken out at will regardless of size becuase the pine beetles get them after 10 -15 years anyway.

There's an interesting psychology I sometimes see when a player plays a course that's at their skill level whether blue or gold. Some good blue level players, maybe on more open courses, get frustrated on Steady Ed or maybe Blueberry because they know they should be doing well on a course designed for them. But they can't hit the lines or play smart. Same thing with gold level players. They are so used to tearing up blue level courses in their region that when they have a gold level course to tackle, they can't deliver. Not doing well on a course for your level eats at your self image a little more. If you're playing a gold level course and your level is lower than gold, there's less of your self image at stake because you can accept that the course is out of your skill range. But, play a course at your skill level that you're supposed to master, well then that can add some pressure to players who are used to looking good.

I totally know what you're saying. I'm a newer player still learning. (i.e., I'm not very good at all ;)). But give me a Leviathan, or Lemon Lake Gold, or whatever instead of whimpy courses I can shoot under on. I'm not interested in shooting well. I'm interested in shooting "epic." :thmbup: :)

And it's easy for someone without a discing ego, like myself, to be able to go out to Lemon Lake Gold, shoot a +22, and come away feeling pretty darn good.

Thinking about it, I think the biggest reason I liked Jackson more than "Steady" Ed, was the aesthetics. There's not as much underbrush in the woods on Jackson, while "Steady" gives me a little scrubby feeling. They're both terrific courses. I think I shot 20 or so strokes better at "Steady" both times. I'm a little amazed that all three courses at the IDGC aren't rated higher on here. Jackson is a 5 to me any day, "Steady" is at least a 4.5. All three courses are rated around or a little over 4 on here. I don't see it, compared to some of the other courses I've played with similar ratings (Buckhorn, Cliff Stephens, Ocala Greenway, Tocobaga, Tom Tripplet, Glenn C. Hilton, Earlewood, Trophy Lakes, Winthrop Lakefront, hell even Ashe County, I didn't like as well as any of the stuff at the IDGC, to name a few).

I'll be in touch.:thmbup: Couple of car loads would allow for more varied speeds of play. You know Steve; wanting to play two rounds at four courses a day....minimum!!

You tell Stevie I said "hello!" :) :cool:

Not only is Blueberry blue level it's the prototype for how I believe blue level courses should be designed when you have the property in terms of the number of true par 4s and 5s mixed with par 3s for blue level. In fact, both pin placements from the long blue tees on holes that have two have been tested and tweaked so they are exactly in the pocket for blue level players such that scoring spread and averages can and have been predicted in advance.

BRP ends up as sort of blue level but was never designed for a specific skill level. The skill level there is inconsistent. For example, several of the holes in the open are more gold level.

Here are the design docs you were looking for:
http://www.pdga.com/documents/design-skill-level-guidelines
http://www.pdga.com/documents/par-guidelines

Interesting thoughts and discussion. Applying them to my personal paradise, Deer Lakes Park, I think Deer Lakes' biggest design issue is that (for mixed A/B/C pin placements, as it seems to always be) its blue tees are really half gold/half blue and its white tees are really half blue/half white. Ratings-wise, the blues would really round up to golds with an SSA of 975-990 and the whites would round up to blues with an SSA of approximately 930. I think you could theoretically add a tee to each hole--sometimes easier the white, sometimes between white/blue, and sometimes harder than blue--and get perfect red/white/blue/gold tees, but that would be concrete overkill.:)

Selfishly, though, as a ~950 player with a slightly above-average arm, I love that the Deer Lakes blue tees are ~980. It allows me to shoot for a well-earned birdie on each hole, to chase a par each round, and to feel very satisfied when I do go under par (maybe 1/3 rounds).

By the way, I don't know if awards are given out for these things, but I noticed the 2010 PFDO stats for Moraine State Park were very close to their nominal values. An even-par round of 66 from the golds gave you a rating of 1002 and even-par round of 66 from the blues gave you a rating of 951.:hfive:

J Gary says that Deer Lakes is really at 975 halfway between blue and gold. I liked the course but was frustrated with the several gold holes. It probably works well for Open level competition because they have the potential to shred it but it's tough enough it will bite back.

Well....speaking of that; Juke, you should also join in on a plan to meet up with Prerube and do an early summer trip to the Mid Atlantic states. It's been too long since I've been there. I have brothers who live out there and all that schizz. Now, if I can just talk my wife into that; and a trip to the Northeast; where I have a bunch of unplayed states; I'll be just fine....

*says the guy who claims he can't afford a crown* :)

*sorry to thread jack, Chuck...again, glad you're in on this thread*

Well....speaking of that; Juke, you should also join in on a plan to meet up with Prerube and do an early summer trip to the Mid Atlantic states. It's been too long since I've been there. I have brothers who live out there and all that schizz. Now, if I can just talk my wife into that; and a trip to the Northeast; where I have a bunch of unplayed states; I'll be just fine....

I am a teacher and have lots of 3 day weekends spread out through the year. Let me know where and I will tell you when I can go. I will be in FL over Christmas, not sure where I will go for spring break yet.
I would love to hit New England to meet Solomon Trenton.

J Gary says that Deer Lakes is really at 975 halfway between blue and gold. I liked the course but was frustrated with the several gold holes. It probably works well for Open level competition because they have the potential to shred it but it's tough enough it will bite back.

Plus, I think you have to go several hours away from Pittsburgh before you find a 1000-rated player, so ~975 isn't too much lower than the top "local" players' ratings.

I think this is why all the high praise. U feel like you get challenged but there's enough fun holes to pick your ego up. It's a beatdown then a fun breather and then another beatdown. I'm guessing 3 14 are the tougher gold holes out there I can admit I had more fun there than iron hill though iron hill is 20 strokes more challenging and a true gold and probably a better pro course

Sounds fun! You know how to get a hold of me, sir! :)

Unless this changes:
"Absolutely no walk-ons. Contact owner for permission to play and directions."
it should not be a true 5. I think a course regularly accessible to the public with normal hours, whether pay for play or not, should be worth a quarter to half a disc, at least on the overall scale used here. As usual, the design and amenities get jammed together so you don't know if a 4.5 star course like FlyBoy (IMO) has a 5-star design and 4-star amenities or vice versa.

There are other things that keep this from a 5 level course even using the relativistic versus absolute scale we use here. No dual tees. The rubber is okay but concrete would make it feel like the design had been perfected and was more permanent.

It feels a little unsettling shooting around all of the private property of other residents there. And, this is personal preference not specifically related to these ratings, but I like courses that can be well groomed but in a more wild environment without homes or commercial areas in view. About half the course has that wild look and is awesome. I'm not sure there was a portolet at the far reaches of the course which could make it a little tougher with all the neighbors around.

No other course requires you to move away from your lie due to occasional air traffic. Interesting diversion for rec play but not necessarily for tournament play. Tom Monroe and I had several design suggestions from our September visit which could improve the layout (some may already have been done since then).

I can understand why so many 5s have been awarded because it feels like that when you're there and playing. It's only on reflection afterwards that some of these elements need to be considered where maybe it doesn't get all the way there, at least yet.

OK boys, I'm holding my watch pretty high over my head right now because the bull**** is getting rather deep in here. I just noticed your post here Chuck. I prefer radio silence, but I just can't let this one go.

Are you really going to dock a course half a disc because permission is required to come out and enjoy it? Did you have trouble getting permission to come out and spend two days at Flyboy? Did that affect your experience of the place? I have a contract with my (incredibly awesome) neighbors that I will not allow just anyone to pop out unannounced
and access our little slice of heaven at the airstrip. That's why you'll never have to wait on a tee pad, rarely see a scrap of litter, or hear obscenities echoing across the landscape at Flyboy. I want to talk to the golfers a bit before they come out here and enjoy our property, at least the first time they come. To me, that's worth an EXTRA half a disc. The place is a little more exclusive than your local public course, and I like it that way.

Long as I'm here, let me address the rest of your post in no particular order.

"No dual tees"…………. There's dual tees marked now. Thanks for the suggestion.

"The rubber pads are OK, but concrete…….." There will never be concrete tees here. I don't like concrete tees, and that's MY personal preference. There WILL ultimately be permanent rubber, or maybe Astroturf tees in a professional, finished looking installation, like a lot of the new courses are installing, but I'm not finished tweaking the course yet.

The air traffic: Ok, chuck, you got me on that one. Occasionally, we do have to clear the runway for a few minutes when folks out here are flying. Dock me .5 for that inconvenience. Give me an extra .5 for the incredible novelty of it.

Did you really feel "unsettled" by the proximity to neighbors during your time here? Did we even see any neighbors? Most golfers don't even notice. This is a gigantic property, remember? There is some shooting around MY hangar/house and one other neighbor's hangar on 19 – 27, but on the first 18 holes? Not an issue.

Finally, you mention some confusion about knowing 4/5 star amenities ratings with our relativistic scale, huh? You're a little vague about the amenities here so let me just clarify for Flyboy's sake. That on site Bed and Breakfast you stayed in while you were here with Tom Monroe….I built that for the disc golfers. That's an amenity, along with all the meals you ate while you visited us, the pro-shop, clubhouse, etc., etc. all amenities. Let's not leave these folks in the dark here. The amenities at Flyboy Aviation are 5 star.

Look Chuck, you are one of the few trusted people on this forum who's actually experienced Flyboy. Everyone else here who's played it has reviewed it. You've made several posts about the course, mostly negative, but you comment that it's a 4.5 with 5 potential. So why don't you do these folks a solid, give it your 4.5, and write a detailed review of Flyboy so they're not shooting in the dark with these speculative forum posts. I'll just keep that half a disc you're docking me for permission to play in my hip pocket, and by the way, you have permission to come play Flyboy anytime you like.

Kelly

I'd give the old briefing room chairs 5 stars...those suckers are comfy, we used to always love going up into those rooms on the carrier and sleeping...uh I mean working...yeah we were working...