• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I find your disc, but it's only got your pdga number.

I found one the other day with a pdga # and initials. After searching pdga.com and numerous posts on the local website, two months later he got his disc back. He shook my hand and that's all he needed to do but call me an a-hole because I don't think I'm gonna go through the trouble again. Put your phone # on it if you want it back.

Have some of you befuddled by why people would put only a PDGA# on their discs considered that perhaps the owners aren't all that concerned about getting them back, and that the mark is just for identification purposes.

I just recently started writing my name and number on discs. Before that, I considered it my mistake and loss if I couldn't find my disc and somebody else could. I have only lost one disc with my name on it(a DX Beast that I found) and it was not returned to me. On the other hand, I will sometimes call people if their number is on the disc, but only if it's a local number. I'm not mailing discs, driving anywhere out of my way, or having some ****er come by my house. Bottom line here:
If you lose one you lose it, and if you find one you keep it.

I just recently started writing my name and number on discs. Before that, I considered it my mistake and loss if I couldn't find my disc and somebody else could. I have only lost one disc with my name on it(a DX Beast that I found) and it was not returned to me. On the other hand, I will sometimes call people if their number is on the disc, but only if it's a local number. I'm not mailing discs, driving anywhere out of my way, or having some ****er come by my house. Bottom line here:
If you lose one you lose it, and if you find one you keep it.

:popcorn:

I found a disc like his at am worlds last year. Just a pdga number and the name dewey cox. At least they had a big lost and found pile at tourney hq so i just dropped it off there. Found mine there too :)

Have some of you befuddled by why people would put only a PDGA# on their discs considered that perhaps the owners aren't all that concerned about getting them back, and that the mark is just for identification purposes.

This. Realistically despite all the back-patting on this website, nobody returns discs unless they know you. I only mark my name/PDGA# anymore - so unless a local club member finds it I don't expect to get it back.

Plus I'd rather not have some DB or weirdo having my phone #, disc golf doesn't attract the most normal crowd...

I might try to look up the person if their PDGA number is on the disc. Its better than just writing a name on it.

I've found discs with just the person's name and I conclude that they must not care too much about it. What am I supposed to do? Facebook them? :\

This. Realistically despite all the back-patting on this website, nobody returns discs unless they know you. I only mark my name/PDGA# anymore - so unless a local club member finds it I don't expect to get it back.

Plus I'd rather not have some DB or weirdo having my phone #, disc golf doesn't attract the most normal crowd...

I've returned discs to people I don't know and I've had discs returned to me by people I don't know. They were all nice people. You can't paint everyone with the same brush. If you don't want to talk to weirdos then that's fine. Thanks for the discs. :)

Last winter I found a beat wraith in a snow bank with initials and a pdga number. The member wasn't active so I did a google search on pdga's history and found his name. During the google search, I found a bunch of news articles about a guy with the same name on the other side of the state that was being prosecuted for animal cruelty for ramming a wooden spoon up his dog's anus. I figured I wasn't going to risk having this be the guy and if it was, I wouldn't mind keeping his disc.

My conscience started to get to me, so I looked some more and I found a phone listing for a local guy with the same name. I call it and get his dad. He gives me another number, which I call and leave a voicemail. A couple days later he calls me and has no idea what the disc is. He figured he gave it to a friend, who lost it. He said he'd stop by the next day and pick it up... no show.

It is now my favorite driver, and I've picked up at least a half dozen other wraiths. I love that disc.

In the past I never bothered to put any contact info on my discs because I figured the odds of getting it back were too low to bother. Most of the guys I know would never even consider returning a disc, if they found it, it's theirs (I know, I hang around a classy group). I've recently started marking select discs as an experiment to see if I get them back if I lost them--ones that I am highly unlikely to want to trade, so I don't reduce value.

I like the email suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of that, I think I'll go that route.

To some people, not making an effort to return a disc makes them feel like a DB.

Maybe you are the DB or weirdo.

A buddy of mine only puts his initials on his discs. I always ask him why he even bothers, he never has a good reason. So weird.

Last winter I found a beat wraith in a snow bank with initials and a pdga number. The member wasn't active so I did a google search on pdga's history and found his name. During the google search, I found a bunch of news articles about a guy with the same name on the other side of the state that was being prosecuted for animal cruelty for ramming a wooden spoon up his dog's anus. I figured I wasn't going to risk having this be the guy and if it was, I wouldn't mind keeping his disc.

:eek::eek::eek:

Just another reason for me to not track someone down if they don't bother to leave a phone #/e-mail address.

yeah, not to sound like a DB, but I keep discs only marked with my PDGA number. your phone number is only 10 digits, it does NOT take that much effort, and I don't think its worth my time to hunt someone down online and jump through hoops for that.

To some people, not making an effort to return a disc makes them feel like a DB.
If the original owner didn't put a name or any contact information on the thing, I don't see why any finder should feel any consternation about it, much less taking any effort to track that person down. Hell, I don't even know my friends PDGA #'s, much less the number of some random stranger. I'll bet a great deal of disc golfers don't even know what the PDGA is.

Maybe you are the DB or weirdo.
Or maybe he regards his privacy more than he does a $15 piece of plastic, and doesn't want his contact information falling into the wrong hands. In a world where vain people are broadcasting their whole lives on social networking sites, that's actually a pretty nice quality to have. (But that's for another rant).

The discs I've returned without traditional contact info, have all been received with graditude.

You are right though, F them, I'll keep the plastic or make a quick buck selling it.

I know $15 is only $15, but to me any money I spend on a "want" is money taken away from my family. The past couple years have made me appreciate even more the value of a dollar.