• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a Ruling

There are five basic types of disc golfers:

1) The rules Nazi - He knows every rule and will call anyone at any time for any thing no matter how small.

2) That guy - He has never read the rule book but is not afraid to call somone on what he thinks may be a rule based on what he's learned while sandbagging in Rec for years.

3) Your average disc golfer - Scarpfish nailed it with this post

4) The nooby noober - He wants to do whats right and would follow the rules but has never even heard of the PDGA much less know that they have a rule book.

5) The DG anarchist - He has no respect for rules of any kind be they societies rules or PDGA rules.

You're killing your father Frank D!

Kwick, I finally got the venue I wanted. I'm Performing my dance quintet--you know, my cycle--at Crane Jackson's Fountain Street Theatre on Tuesday night, and I'd love it if you came and gave me notes.

haha. sure thing man, i'll just slide them under the door

I've seen spirit of the game mentioned a few times here. My belief is that's why a first offense on most rules violations is a mere warning. In other sports you don't get the first one free. I know that it can be difficult to to be the guy that brings up the rules but open and honest communication doesn't have to be confrontational. In many cases the offender may not have even realized that they did something wrong.

What am I doing wrong in this picture?
image.php

That's right. You're very perceptive. I'm stepping on my disc and my foot isn't even in the line of play. Until I saw this pic I had no idea I did that. I probably was doing it a lot. I wish somebody told me a long time ago.

What was my point here? I forget. I think Ray spelled it out really well.

I've seen spirit of the game mentioned a few times here. My belief is that's why a first offense on most rules violations is a mere warning. In other sports you don't get the first one free. I know that it can be difficult to to be the guy that brings up the rules but open and honest communication doesn't have to be confrontational. In many cases the offender may not have even realized that they did something wrong.

What am I doing wrong in this picture?
image.php

That's right. You're very perceptive. I'm stepping on my disc and my foot isn't even in the line of play. Until I saw this pic I had no idea I did that. I probably was doing it a lot. I wish somebody told me a long time ago.

What was my point here? I forget. I think Ray spelled it out really well.
Missed the edit to insert bigger pic.

picture.php

Look at zenbot, the dirty rule breaker!

Cool pic Zenbot and I largely agree. I think it's important to learn the rules, and to play properly.

My issue with the OP was not really about calling a warning. It was that the offender dude was frustrated and perhaps inadvertently (we don't really know what his motivation was) did something stupid that, while technically against the rules, gave him no advantage. I personally do not call people on this sort of thing...in any contest, not just disc golf. I may mention it like you said, in case he was not aware of the rule, but I would not seek to profit from his breaking a rule in this way. The OP wanted to give the guy two strokes. So he would be profiting from the infraction. IMO, this is poor sportsmanship.

It would be a different story if you informed the guy and then he kept doing it constantly. Or if he was not marking his lie so as to gain a more advantageous stance. Etc etc.

I get that this is headed for the landfill, but I wish it wouldn't. I think the disagreement in this thread is a legitimate discussion. This sort of thing is part of why I'm not interested in joining the PDGA. Maybe I'm alone in that, though. If the OP had gone and asked this on the PDGA boards, he would have received a different, and more PDGA rules focused response (probably including Chuck and Ray). This site's membership is not made up entirely of PDGA guys, so he got a different response, and that shouldn't be unexpected.

OK, I didn't see this brought up, but what about order of play? Was it his turn? If he shot out of turn, that is another penalty.

I asked this 2 pages ago, for a similar but different reason, and the OP didn't respond. I like SideWinding's response, and I'm out of this thread...

There are five basic types of disc golfers:

1) The rules Nazi - He knows every rule and will call anyone at any time for any thing no matter how small.

2) That guy - He has never read the rule book but is not afraid to call somone on what he thinks may be a rule based on what he's learned while sandbagging in Rec for years.

3) Your average disc golfer - Scarpfish nailed it with this post

4) The nooby noober - He wants to do whats right and would follow the rules but has never even heard of the PDGA much less know that they have a rule book.

5) The DG anarchist - He has no respect for rules of any kind be they societies rules or PDGA rules.

Ha, "Spike, Johnny, Timmy" make their way into the disc golf world!

Props to anyone who gets that reference....nerd. ;)

Latest posts