• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need an overstable fairway driver

I used to use a Banshee. Nice disc. I had a sweet Champ. My bet is you could throw it a lot farther and straighter than I. I went to a XXX to get more distance from a thumber. Otherwise Banshee was probably a good OS disc for me. Anyone that has seen me throw a XXX can see that I don't have the arm for it.

Now maybe a beat up Banshee is kind of straight. Lots of variables in this question.

Is it just me or are some people still not getting what OVERstable means? teebird/tracker/ascent/gazelle <--- Not overstable! You can make them "act" overstable by having less armspeed/throwing with hyzer but none of these are overstable in their intended use.

Agreed.

I think this has been made clear but preds and firebirds are not fairways although they usually have the same range unless you have a monster arm. So the correct answer would be whippet/banshee/trident

Bah, I don't buy it. I know Innova gives the fb a speed 9 but let's get real - everyone considers it a fairway. :p

Remember that the OP has a weak arm, and doesn't throw far. What for some of you guys would be simply neutral, might act stable or over stable form his arm speed and distance. Plus it depends on what shots he is trying to execute.

Arm speed doesn't matter in the wind. True stability and nose angle do, however.

Thanks for the suggestions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Whippet only comes in DX. I'm not a fan of that plastic. The Banshee has a lotta love so I think that's what I'll try.

Thanks for the suggestions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Whippet only comes in DX. I'm not a fan of that plastic. The Banshee has a lotta love so I think that's what I'll try.

I got a champion viper from the innova second store and it is great for a overstable fairway driver. I use it for hard cut shots and skip shoots, and I also use leos and they go together very well. Not sure if they still have them on the seconds site, but worth a try. I my self like the viper better than a whippet or banshee. Just me though. Good luck finding the disc that works for you!

If I could sum up the difference, to me, between the viper, whippet, and banshee, the whippet goes straight a short distance and then fades hard and fast, like an L shape, whereas the banshee has a more constant arcing fade from the get go. The viper goes straight and then has an arcing fade that is difficult for me to time, and any wind really messes with the timing of the fade on the viper. I'd use the whippet for hard dog legs where I need a trick disc to throw a right angle and I have a low ceiling, and the banshee is more of a traditional driver that can be used to throw arcing hyzer skips and flex shots in some fairly strong headwind. I can't use the viper well at all.