• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I propose...

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
There are so many Gold TRs that are on the cusp of Diamond status. Please help them get over the edge! They've worked really hard at writing great reviews, some for far too long. Please don't leave them as Old Maids any longer. This thread is ONLY about Gold level TRs. Propose a current Gold level TR that is almost a Diamond. That means 2 types:
1) They have 990-999 Helpful votes and need a little more recognition to get to 1000
2) They have over 1000 Helpful votes but they still need 250 Unique voters.

Go ahead, make someone's day!

MrFrosty

MrFrosty has to be high on many people's list! The dude has been intrepidly traveling all over here and yon, writing great reviews. I envy his lifestyle to bag so many new courses.
HTN = 1007/31. Helpful % = 97%

I propose we let this happen naturally; not taking away anything from all the great reviewers on the cusp...but starting threads just to get some people a bunch of ups seems disingenuous coming from you, Olorin.

My 2 cents. :)

I'm pretty neutral.

I think...I mean it doesn't matter what I think but I think the gap from gold to diamond is so large that it's really, really easy to get stuck at gold. Add in that people don't vote on reviews as much as they once did and it can be a long slog. I think if you started reviewing back in "the day" you needed to write 120ish reviews to reach diamond, but now you have to write more like 300 to get the thumbs and the unique thumbs. It's probably pretty natural to look at a process that has slowed down so much over the years and want to give it a jump start. I just don't know how exactly to do that.

I'm pretty neutral.

I think...I mean it doesn't matter what I think but I think the gap from gold to diamond is so large that it's really, really easy to get stuck at gold. Add in that people don't vote on reviews as much as they once did and it can be a long slog. I think if you started reviewing back in "the day" you needed to write 120ish reviews to reach diamond, but now you have to write more like 300 to get the thumbs and the unique thumbs. It's probably pretty natural to look at a process that has slowed down so much over the years and want to give it a jump start. I just don't know how exactly to do that.

Fair assessment.

I'm just a cranky ol' thumb miser. :p

...but starting threads just to get some people a bunch of ups seems disingenuous coming from you, Olorin.

My 2 cents. :)
Jukeshoe,

Disingenuous?
Merriam Webster-- Definition of disingenuous:
: lacking in candor
also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness : CALCULATING

I resent the negative connotation of your insinuation that I am doing this mostly for my personal gain and that I am being calculating. So I will be frank and give you candor. My purposes for this thread are:
1) To encourage and appreciate people who have spent a long time and a great deal of effort to write good reviews.
2) To increase the motivation of all people, especially the newest reviewers, to increase the quality of their reviews and encourage them to persevere over the long road to Diamond TR
3) To encourage more people to do what I have done for years, that is, to make the time to give votes to Gold level reviewers who are on the edge of Diamond, to help them achieve the highest level status and recognition on this website.
4) To add a more positive atmosphere, especially in these days of fear, anxiety, gloom and doom.
5) FULL DISCLOSURE, even if it is embarrassing. I do want a personal benefit from starting this thread. I want positive vibes from the users of this website and to be known as a person who contributes something good. I have never been able to be completely 100% altruistic, nor do I ever expect to be, because I believe that along with all people I have a propensity deep in my nature to sin. That manifests itself in everything I do having some pride and a search for significance. I wish I could be different, but I always find this admixture of impure motives in all that I do.

Your reply is very irritating to me.

Is my response ingenuous enough for you?

Timg and Moderators,

If this thread is having a negative impact on the DGCR system, and getting a few Gold reviewers to Diamond sooner than they otherwise would then please delete it.

Jukeshoe,

Disingenuous?
Merriam Webster-- Definition of disingenuous:
: lacking in candor
also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness : CALCULATING

I resent the negative connotation of your insinuation that I am doing this mostly for my personal gain and that I am being calculating. So I will be frank and give you candor. My purposes for this thread are:
1) To encourage and appreciate people who have spent a long time and a great deal of effort to write good reviews.
2) To increase the motivation of all people, especially the newest reviewers, to increase the quality of their reviews and encourage them to persevere over the long road to Diamond TR
3) To encourage more people to do what I have done for years, that is, to make the time to give votes to Gold level reviewers who are on the edge of Diamond, to help them achieve the highest level status and recognition on this website.
4) To add a more positive atmosphere, especially in these days of fear, anxiety, gloom and doom.
5) FULL DISCLOSURE, even if it is embarrassing. I do want a personal benefit from starting this thread. I want positive vibes from the users of this website and to be known as a person who contributes something good. I have never been able to be completely 100% altruistic, nor do I ever expect to be, because I believe that along with all people I have a propensity deep in my nature to sin. That manifests itself in everything I do having some pride and a search for significance. I wish I could be different, but I always find this admixture of impure motives in all that I do.

Your reply is very irritating to me.

Is my response ingenuous enough for you?

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. If you find my opinion irritating, maybe you have some praying or something to do. :)

Like I said, not anything against people on the cusp. Just a difference in philosophy re: thumbs and reviews. Can't we have different opinions?

Also:

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

Not saying you'd stand to benefit in any way, more that you know better than to where this could possibly lead: a thumb-up circle jerk where a small group of people are all benefiting from a sustained, coordinated thumb ups campaign.

I'm pretty neutral.

I tend to agree. If we are encouraging (and getting) people to seek out quality reviews and reviewers and give them recognition and encouragement, then I think this is a good idea. If, on the other hand, we encourage people to give thumbs ups to reviews that are not helpful just to help the reviewer reach a plateau, then I think we've gone WAY to far.

By the way, I am a Gold reviewer, but just reached that level and am years away from even thinking of Diamond.

What are the diamond requirements? I'm gold and try my best but would guess I'm pretty far away from diamond.

What are the diamond requirements? I'm gold and try my best but would guess I'm pretty far away from diamond.

1000 helpful votes and 250 uniques I believe.

Nobody reads reviews anymore it seems. Maybe 10 of us or so. Either way, if you enjoy it, keep at it. I'd like to get down your way at some point and the more quality reviews the better. 👍

1000 helpful votes and 250 uniques I believe.

Nobody reads reviews anymore it seems. Maybe 10 of us or so. Either way, if you enjoy it, keep at it. I'd like to get down your way at some point and the more quality reviews the better. ��

Oh, I respectfully disagree with you that only 10 or so people read reviews. Maybe not every review, but there are still plenty of (active AND non-active) members that read reviews extensively for roadtrip planning and whatnot.

Personally, I don't usually even thumb up or down unless I've already played a course and can judge the review based on personal experience, OR I found very helpful information for planning a roadtrip (i.e., things that affect my decision on course time/availability, etc.)

Last edited:
Fair assessment.

I'm just a cranky ol' thumb miser. :p

So when are we getting some new Jukeshoe reviews?

I've read a ton of great reviews from you, living in WI and all. One of favorite reviewers ever, even if you're a cranky old fart now 😁

If I just sit back and let votes happen will I eventually become diamond? I basically quit writing reviews once I hit gold... not that I had that as a limiting factor, I just didn't really enjoy writing reviews... I still have notes on hundreds of courses that I intended to turn into reviews. Now those notes are out of date and I'm not allowed to write any more... good talk.

So when are we getting some new Jukeshoe reviews?

I've read a ton of great reviews from you, living in WI and all. One of favorite reviewers ever, even if you're a cranky old fart now 😁

Haha, thank you for the kind words, but I'll be the first to tell you there are scads of better reviewers than me in the ranks of Bronze, Silver, and Gold. :)

The last several years have seen a lot of life changes for the ol' Jukester. Marriage, house, kiddo...it's difficult to roam as far as I used to, although that will most certainly change as kiddo gets a bit older.

When I get the chance to play now, I'm almost always ready to replay old favorites rather than go off bagging. Notapro and I hit some new ones this summer, but I was busier catching up with my buddy than paying attention enough to give the courses a fair shake. ;)

I got a wife that plays as much as I do and no kids. Just 3 cats and a frog so my course bagging shall continue. I just meant that I feel less people read reviews than they used to. It's just a fact with Udisc and the course maps on there. I would include myself in that category.

I got a wife that plays as much as I do and no kids. Just 3 cats and a frog so my course bagging shall continue. I just meant that I feel less people read reviews than they used to. It's just a fact with Udisc and the course maps on there. I would include myself in that category.

When we run into each other on the course some day, I'll know you by the frog on a leash. ;) :p

Latest posts