• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think I have way too many mid-range discs...

cunninsa

Par Member
I'm relatively new (about 4 months now) and have acquired about 10-11 discs. Out of these 7 are mid-range discs. Can someone tell me which I can afford to loose? I'm thinking the Mako (I don't like how it throws anyway). I like the Star Stingray due to the fact t seems to be my straightest and the Champ Stingray flies well too. Any advice would be appreciated as would advice on other discs I could use. Thanks!

it's hard to tell you what you don't need when we don't know all that you throw and how far you throw them

you say you have 7 mids of which 1 is Mako and 2 are Stingrays

what are the other 4

(p.s. this would probably be better in the bag critique section)

At 4 months in, most here will suggest you play with a putter only, or a putter and 1 mid. This strategy will help you to have a more consistent grip, release, and throw and will teach you to be able to work your plastic, shaping multiple lines with the same disc.

Pick the most neutral mid you have and use that. (By posting a list of what you own, we can more accurately help you to choose the one to use right now.)

i think its important to have at least 3 mid range disks on that is overstable one that is understable and one that you can throw straight. just make sure that you can control all 3. so you can get them right under the chains. also remember some plastics are more overstable then others so keep that in mind
hope that helps

I'm not sure exactly how to move this right now. I also have a DX Roc, A Quest Rock-it, a Buzz SS elite-Z, and a DX Stingray that I found.

What are you using your mids for? How far are you throwing them? Start with getting rid of the ones you don't like (like the Mako), then think about how you use your mids and pick the best disc for each shot. Do the three Stingrays do the same thing? How beat in is your Roc? And what in the world is a Rock-it? (I know nothing about Quest disc, if you couldn't tell ;) ).

I can't fault anyone for having a ton of mids -- up until recently, I had two Sharks, an Element, a Buzzz, a Hornet, and a Cro in my bag.

The mids go about 200-225 for me. The Rock-It was given to me but it does fly pretty well, as was my 2 drivers and the DX Stingray I found in the woods in pretty good condition after I got the other two. The Roc was one of the first discs I bought but haven't used it much. Its slightly beaten right now.

G-boro! I'm like 20 minutes away from Barber, we should get a round in sometime. :thmbup:

For beginners and low power throwers, mids can easily double as your drivers and at your distance, it's wise to learn how to drive mids as far as possible. It's also good that you've got 3 of those in the same mold (stingray). Too many molds is usually worse than too many discs from a learning curve standpoint. That being said, if you want to learn how to throw better fundamentally as well as lower some scores, it's generally best to focus on a few discs and learn them like the back of your hand.

Looking at your bag, what I'd do is Roc and either Mako or Buzzz SS for mids and use the Star and DX Stingray as your "drivers." (not far fetched, Stingrays were technically drivers way back in the day any way.)

Bro D speaks troof. Roc/Mako or Roc/Buzzz SS make good combos with a Stingray as a driver.

I think my work is done here.

I agree with BroD... and personally I would go Roc/Mako because those discs are way more similar in the hand than a Roc and Buzzz SS. What problems are you having with Mako? I think it's a good disc to learn with, if it doesn't go straight you know there's a problem with your form.

The Mako I'm usually all over the place with. The Stingray (Star) is usually my straightest followed surprisingly by the Rock-it. The Buzz I handle pretty well also. The mako just for some reason gives me issues. I don't know if it's the grip or what.

use the Star and DX Stingray as your "drivers." (not far fetched, Stingrays were technically drivers way back in the day any way.)

This is good until they get beat in and want to turn no matter how you release it. I only use mine for annys and rollers now. In my opinion the Buzzz would make a better driver in the long run. It's also more nuetral than the Stingray.

star stingray should be straight for a while. what are the weights on everything you are throwing?

I'm no expert here, but my two contributions are that it has something to do with the weight (180g) or the grip is causing OAT.

This is good until they get beat in and want to turn no matter how you release it. I only use mine for annys and rollers now. In my opinion the Buzzz would make a better driver in the long run. It's also more nuetral than the Stingray.

Agreed but he's throwing 200-225 with mids right now so he's got some time before he's rolling them every throw.

I do agree that the Roc and Mako would make a slightly better pairing than the Roc and Buzzz SS.

cunninsa, I'd be more than willing to show you some pointers sometime. I'm not the best golfer but I have a PhD in technique theory. ;) Barber's a good course to learn how to throw on b/c there's so many open holes. Unfortunately, it's also scorching hot this time of year. :\

Latest posts