• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think I need a discgolf coach

This. The heel-pivot is just part of the puzzle. If you did everything right but were just missing this piece, then you're probably doing just fine and enjoying life in the Open division.

I don't heel-pivot, but I can still throw 400+ at will. Could I become a 500' thrower by developing the heel-pivot? Maybe, but I have a life. And I'd rather work on my putting.

Well I didn't mean to understate the value of heel pivoting and a proper weight shift. Good wrist mechanics and good hip mechanics are both important. Heel pivoting is more about your hips than your heel. That comment was mostly directed at the fact that he was really having trouble pushing drivers out there. Getting your weight behind your shot with your hips and a good pivot is much easier on your body in the long run, more consistent, and generates a lot more power.

Great. Now you can beat me by an even larger margin tomorrow :).

I'm pretty sure you were winning the entire first half of the course. I'm just glad that my game eventually woke up towards the end. Shooting even par out there in the wet was much, much better than I expected.

for him or for you? ;)

This was a friend of mine who neither asked for nor recieved compensation. No one from DGCR stepped up and took the paying gig I offered. I will however be buying my buddy his lunch the next time we eat together, and I hope to be able to work with him more in the future as we have time.

I just spent another hour in my yard tonight to put in some more work. It is much tougher alone, which is why I think a coach would do me a world of good. I can play golf, I know my discs, make decent decisions, get out of trouble and make good upshots, and most days putt well within 25'. What I need help with is incoporating my lower body into my throw, transferring energy into spin on the disc, and to stop strong arming everything. Even this evening, I only had 2 throws out of 70 or so that I felt good about. I've placed my discatcher sport 400' away from my makeshift teepad(it is slightly downhill) and I did put my star valkyrie within 20' on a throw that I seemed to put it all together. Unfortunately, the majority were in that 45' - 55' away wasteland that I too often find myself in. Far enough for most people to say "nice drive", but not close enough for a consistent putt to drop. That is why I need more D; Just to give myself a decent chance at a real putt.

This was a friend of mine who neither asked for nor recieved compensation. No one from DGCR stepped up and took the paying gig I offered. I will however be buying my buddy his lunch the next time we eat together, and I hope to be able to work with him more in the future as we have time.

I just spent another hour in my yard tonight to put in some more work. It is much tougher alone, which is why I think a coach would do me a world of good. I can play golf, I know my discs, make decent decisions, get out of trouble and make good upshots, and most days putt well within 25'. What I need help with is incoporating my lower body into my throw, transferring energy into spin on the disc, and to stop strong arming everything. Even this evening, I only had 2 throws out of 70 or so that I felt good about. I've placed my discatcher sport 400' away from my makeshift teepad(it is slightly downhill) and I did put my star valkyrie within 20' on a throw that I seemed to put it all together. Unfortunately, the majority were in that 45' - 55' away wasteland that I too often find myself in. Far enough for most people to say "nice drive", but not close enough for a consistent putt to drop. That is why I need more D; Just to give myself a decent chance at a real putt.

I can't throw backhand but I can coach backhanding. If you ever want to practice distance driving and disc aerodynamics we should get together. I'm outside Nashville and always looking to play/throw/spectate

This is so frustrating because when I try to incorporate all the new techniques I lose all touch and accuracy. I mean I am completely all over the place, and I have no idea where anything is going. I broke down and went back to playing my old way last week, made an ace in one round, shot -12 and took first in doubles in another, and never had a drive over 320' all week long...

I know that I have to be willing to go backwards to be able to eventually move forward in my game, but man it is really hard to unlearn what I've spent almost 5 years now learning.

I feel your pain. I think I'm having similar problems. Not that I'm any good to begin with, but at the end of fall/beginning of winter I felt like I was improving in the distance portion of my game. I'm still better than when I started. Now the problem is that late acceleration and weight shift that's killing me. I can feel when I do it right and I can get a teebird out to about 350-360 on a golf line. When I don't get that weight shift and strong arm it out there about 300-325. I probably need to do more field work. Or focus more on driving in practice rounds as opposed to just playing practice rounds.

I'm also suffering from some sort of shoulder strain or sprain. I'm not sure what I did. I think I did it playing ice hockey but I do not have 100% shoulder strength. But I don't want to stop playing because I have full range of motion and it doesn't hurt when I play if I'm using my body to whip my arm as opposed to strong arming. I'm guessing 100% shoulder strength would help though. A coach would help but I don't really know anyone I want to ask. There are a few guys that I play leagues with who are good and can throw far but I don't feel comfortable asking them. Guess I'm kind of backwards that way.

I took 3 wizards and 2 Buzzzs out into my yard yesterday and threw just these 5 discs for an hour. I walked off the footages and placed markers at 200', 225', 250', 275', and 300' with my practice basket being at 300' away from my makeshift teepad. I plan on leaving it like this for a while and just throwing these discs to see if I can ever reach the basket. Right now my throws with the Wizards are between 200' and 215' and the Buzzzs are in the 250' to 265' range. I have no idea how this is supposed to help me learn how to throw my drivers farther, but its not costing me anything but the time I have after work before dark to try.

Also 1000th post!

I have no idea how this is supposed to help me learn how to throw my drivers farther, but its not costing me anything but the time I have after work before dark to try.

Also 1000th post!

Just a suggestion regarding the drivers. If you have the room why not try to work in a fairway driver like a leopard as well? That way you're also throwing a driver in your practice.

I understand if your yard limits the ability to do this. I live in the city. No throwing in my yard :mad:

Youve stated a few times youre distances, but is this your max d or controlled golf d?

How is your line shaping at these distances?

Its wide open. This is me just throwing putters and mids with hyzer and letting them flip up to flat towards a basket that is too far away from me to usually throw a putter or mid at. That is esentially what all these discing down people do when they go play entire rounds with just these discs. I'm just going to try it as I have time in my yard as I have time to see if it makes any difference.

My max D with a driver is around 370' but my controlable golf distance that I actually use on courses is under 320'.

I would suggest a couple videos/drills maybe youve seen them maybe not, but worth another look.

Obviously beto vids on pec drill, the DC distance videos are ok, if nothing else just for another perspective. Brad walkers snap videos. Also, blake_t's hammer pound drills, beto and blakes discussions on throwing through the apex, and footwork. To me footwork is like putting, hard to teach because everyone is different and comfortability is different person to person. Truthfully whatever you have to do to put yourself in the position to make the throw youre attempting is as complicated as that discussion needs to be.

Like putting, your approach before your drive is important, whats more important is that you can execute the throw, succesfully (to your standards) and repeat it. Just like putting. People will tell you push putting> spin putting, i agree, but thats jmo. It doesnt matter how it goes in, just that you are comfortable with it and can repeat it often.

Latest posts