• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I tomahawk often. Am I a cheater? :)

dr.chainslove

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
First of all, I'm a lefty. Way back when I learned the game, I played almost exclusively on courses that were designed for RHBH hyser shots. As it was easier for me than learning to huck long anhyser shots, I developed quite a good tomahawk to reliably cut through narrow fairways and fade to the left when needed. Nowadays I use a tee-rex with the tomahawk and consistently get 300 ft. I dont rely on my tomahawk as much anymore (thankfully my backhand anhyser abilities have progressed quite a bit) but it comes in very handy in the trees, dropping in on downhill baskets, and going over the treetops.

My buddies have always jokingly called me a cheater when I use this throw (assumingly because they never learned how to "huck the hawk" with some distance). I wonder what people think of players who HEAVILY use the tomahawk. I NEVER SEE the really good disc golfers using it. I feel like the disc golf elite out there look down on the lowly tomahawkers of the world as golfers who should master the "right way" of tossing a disc. People, please let me know what you REALLY think! :)

I'm not too sure about overhand, but in my experience a large percentage of those who throw forehand shots only do so because they couldn't throw backhand shots with any distance. These are also the guys putting with their brand new champ boss :)

Nothing wrong with tomahawks or thumbers. Every throw has its uses, and there is a video on Discrafts disc golf clinics with a guy on there thats a pro that uses thumbers as his dominant method I beleive.

I almost never use a tomahawk, but I have seen it work very well for some people. I knew a kid that almost exclusively only used the "tommy" on his drives and he always seemed to end up no more than 20 feet from the basket.... It worked for him! I am just so into practicing on RHBH or RHFH that the tommy almost never crosses my mind. I dont feel I am that adequate with it enough to use it.

As far as "cheating"???.... I vote no on that. So then what, would a roller be "cheating"? What about a "turbo-putt"?

Different strokes for different folks. All that matters at the end of the day is your happiness and score.

I almost never use a tomahawk, but I have seen it work very well for some people. I knew a kid that almost exclusively only used the "tommy" on his drives and he always seemed to end up no more than 20 feet from the basket.... It worked for him! I am just so into practicing on RHBH or RHFH that the tommy almost never crosses my mind. I dont feel I am that adequate with it enough to use it.

As far as "cheating"???.... I vote no on that. So then what, would a roller be "cheating"? What about a "turbo-putt"?

I think the turbo-putt would be cheating since it got its PDGA approval rescinded.

You could proabably use it in casual games but I wouldnt get used to it.

I love the tomahawk. I'd love it even more if I could throw it 300'. Run with it, man. Maybe more people will develop theirs when they see how good you are with it.

Throw whatever works for you, just be careful. Tomahawks are much harder on your shoulder and elbow than backhand throws.

I think the turbo-putt would be cheating since it got its PDGA approval rescinded.

You do know that the phrase "turbo putt" referred to a putting style long before it was a non-PDGA-approved disc, right? There's nothing illegal about turbo putting.

That's just a form of putting. Not referring to the disc.

*Edit. Beat me to it.

the turbo PUTTER was deemed illegal, but the turbo putt is fine. As for th e OP, if your shoulder can handle the strain (I know mine couldn't) then by all means use it on every throw if you want.

Monty Koz on Team Discraft is a heavy OH user. There are videos on Discraft's website about the OH shot and he is one of the people demonstrating in the clinic.

You do know that the phrase "turbo putt" referred to a putting style long before it was a non-PDGA-approved disc, right? There's nothing illegal about turbo putting.

Oh :eek:

lol My bad. guess I should have figured it out when talking about types of throws.

I think he's talking about the turbo putt style, where you balance the disc on your thumb and push with your fingers.
Not the Quest Turbo Put, which is illegal. I am pretty sure that you can throw the disc anyway that you want.

HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THAT TURBO PUTTING IS STYLE OF PUTTING AND NOT JUST A DISC YET?

LOL!

Yes, I am waiting for my beating to finish. Is it over yet?

Actually saw a guy practicing it last Sunday, and I was in no way tempted to investigate it myself if that tells you anything.

Yes, I am waiting for my beating to finish. Is it over yet?

Actually saw a guy practicing it last Sunday, and I was in no way tempted to investigate it myself if that tells you anything.

Most people use it to putt over a bush or whatever. It gives you at least a foot of height if you need to get over something. There shouldn't be a technique or disc that you wouldn't try for whatever reason.

Most people use it to putt over a bush or whatever. It gives you at least a foot of height if you need to get over something. There shouldn't be a technique or disc that you wouldn't try for whatever reason.

Well, once I got my beatdown here, I looked it up and that guy was doing it wrong I think. he was flipping it, while the guy in the vid I saw was throwing it flat.

Anyway, Highjack over.

I love Tommys and Thumbers.

Latest posts