• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IAmA McFlySoHigh Video

Also, I would love to know how you plan to fund this operation long term. Obviously, you don't have to go into specifics, but when you see things like what Timmy Gill did in 2006ish and more recently Clash both fail, I would love to know your long term plans.

You are the best I've seen, well, you and Terry Roddy, and I hope that you can sustain what you are doing and not be another example when the next venture comes along.

Well, I'm just glad it's 2014 and not 2013, because this time last year I was absorbing a lot of start-up costs associated with my operation. Not surprisingly, I ended up far in the red for 2013. The good news is, now that I've got the equipment in place and have established the brand, it won't be that difficult to break even in 2014. And, with the support I've secured from Innova, Vibram, Disc Golf Center and Towch, I can actually afford to actually hit the road a few times this year and still operate without losing money.

Looking further ahead, the goal for 2015 is to actually be profitable. A man can dream, can't he?

Well, I'm just glad it's 2014 and not 2013, because this time last year I was absorbing a lot of start-up costs associated with my operation. Not surprisingly, I ended up far in the red for 2013. The good news is, now that I've got the equipment in place and have established the brand, it won't be that difficult to break even in 2014. And, with the support I've secured from Innova, Vibram, Disc Golf Center and Towch, I can actually afford to actually hit the road a few times this year and still operate without losing money.

Looking further ahead, the goal for 2015 is to actually be profitable. A man can dream, can't he?

Use "actually" much, McFly?!?!

1.) Like most, I started out with a prosumer camcorder (Canon HF G10). They're almost "too easy" to use, and produce a pretty flat picture. I now use a DSLR (Canon 60D), which allows me more creative freedom (manually focusing and controlling exposure).
2.) For most courses, 1. For some, with major elevation changes and doglegs--like the Gran Canyon in FLA--you really need 2.
3.) For me, an "event" course like the Gran Canyon offers breathtaking scenery and that abstract "one of a kind" feeling you get when you're either filming or playing there. A really bad course, from a filmmaking perspective, is one that suffers from monotony in course design.
4.) Hmm. I can simply offer that I've been asked to move from a protected, safe spot in the fairway only once (by Barry Schultz, who has otherwise been a pleasure to film); and I've been asked to not film a person driving only once. (The latter was at the Collegiate Nationals. She explained that she could notice me there *well behind* the tee box during her pull-back.) P.S. I got the impression from vague grumblings that The Champ didn't like me filming him at the US Masters, even though I was careful to stay well out of his direct line of sight while putting. :/

Thanks for the insight Marty! Ashe County is one of my favorite courses mainly because of the 2 huge elevated shots on 9 and 18. That course truly had an epic feel to it when we visited it a few years back.

$

I would pay to watch your videos. A collection box for donations maybe...perhaps a link to a donation website that pops up during your videos on youtube?

How did you arrive at your moniker?

Would you have a problem with me filming you filming disc golf, and making some play on "Biff" for my channel?

I've been called McFly since high school, because (1) of Marty McFly in "Back to the Future," and (2) I could really jump high for a 6'2" white guy. (I could stand flat footed near the basket and spring up to dunk with two hands. Not every time, mind you, but on good days. Most days were good. ;)

I've no problem with being filmed, or being referred to as Biff. If I had a nickel for every time my wife has said, "Don't be so gullible, McFly!"

I've managed to have never seen one of your videos. Nothing personal, I just saw Avengers for the first time last week.

Is there any particular video you'd care to recommend as your favorite work, or a great representative intro? I could cruise the channel (and will) but I'm interested in your recommendation.

Thanks!

^not that you're asking me, but the Hall of Fame Classic vids are pretty strong.

His '13 "Awards" vid is probably a nice sampler platter.

One thing I try to do after made birdie putts is allow the viewer time to count the number of steps a player takes to retrieve their disc.

I noticed that about your edits and I really appreciate it. I always count those steps :)

I've managed to have never seen one of your videos. Nothing personal, I just saw Avengers for the first time last week.

Is there any particular video you'd care to recommend as your favorite work, or a great representative intro? I could cruise the channel (and will) but I'm interested in your recommendation.

Thanks!

They're all very good to be honest... this one is a personal favorite of mine because it's one of the first full tournaments Marty did, and because Barry Schultz just absolutely makes a mockery of this tightly wooded course...

I would pay to watch your videos. A collection box for donations maybe...perhaps a link to a donation website that pops up during your videos on youtube?

An easy way for folks to directly support my filming this year is to buy one of my fundraiser discs:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141174257298?nav=SELLING&sbk=1

Not only are you putting gas in my car, you're getting a pretty cool piece of plastic (actually, rubber) in return!

So, it's *you* who made me #1 on YouTube! I never thought I'd get to thank that person personally. In all seriousness, I'm really happy to have brought you so much viewing pleasure. Over and over again!

yes sir. i will take a look at your link for some discs with your stamp. see if any work for me. Thanks for the viewing fun and watching disc golf. :clap::clap:

I enjoy the videos, too. I'd love some commentary, but I understand your position on that, so cool there. I would like to suggest that you eliminate the animation of your titles. The animation takes extra time to read and distracts from the action in the video. The yellow "biride" animation was interesting the first time I saw it, then not so much. I also feel that most of your titles are too large, especially the scores posted between holes. My eyes have trouble taking everything in at that size. Thanks again for your efforts to provide us with great footage.

Thanks!

The "Soggy Bomb" video holds a special place in my heart, because of how it turned out despite the rain. There's also some incredible shots and even a little bit of controversy! (It's my most watched video...as well as the most watched full tournament round in YouTube history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0z-QzUG_Eo&feature=share

I enjoy the videos, too. I'd love some commentary, but I understand your position on that, so cool there. I would like to suggest that you eliminate the animation of your titles. The animation takes extra time to read and distracts from the action in the video. The yellow "biride" animation was interesting the first time I saw it, then not so much. I also feel that most of your titles are too large, especially the scores posted between holes. My eyes have trouble taking everything in at that size. Thanks again for your efforts to provide us with great footage.

You're right, Tony, about animations serving little purpose, and over the past few months I have slowly taking more of myself out of the production, so to speak. In other words, making the graphics more newspaper-ish (meet my new friend: Courier New font). I've got a simple job: tell a story, and leave all the glitz to the flying disc. The disc is worth the price of admission--every time!

You're right, Tony, about animations serving little purpose, and over the past few months I have slowly taking more of myself out of the production, so to speak. In other words, making the graphics more newspaper-ish (meet my new friend: Courier New font). I've got a simple job: tell a story, and leave all the glitz to the flying disc. The disc is worth the price of admission--every time!
But for those of us watching it for the competition it is paramount to know who is where during the round. I like that after every hole you let us know how each player on the card performed on that hole and the players total score for the tournament. This keeps us in the story.

Question. I shoot disc golf with a DSLR as well (Sony a65). Im getting really good quality after uploading to Vimeo but I feel there could be room for improvement.

Do you have any tips on encoding video? I have researched the damn thing to death and it is hurting my head.