• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ian's Bag - Summer 2011

.. have you ever thrown an Avenger? they had crossed my mind too.. mostly the Elite-X

I'm a big fan of the Avenger and the Stratus for my understable work. I have both in Pro-D for the moment but just upgraded both. (My strategy is get'm in Pro-D, see how they fly then upgrade plastic if I'm happy) I literally just got an ESP Avenger SS (about 3 throws) and X Stratus (about 8 throws). The Pro-D's were awesome. These are gonna take a bit to break and and get flying right but I'm confident. I'm also new to Discraft so I'm working out which plastics I like best. I would recommend either disc in your preferred plastic.

Trying to get things ready for my rounds this weekend.. I have been messing around with the Champion Leopards in the field and so far i like them but not as understable as i thought they would be but they are still super fresh..really just need to get them on the course and see how things go. Gonna drop the star sidewinder for now just to keep things at speed 7 or under. I do like the banger-gt but im hesitant about adding a third putter in the mix and im thinking it might be better for my game to make myself throw my aviars for all my upshots/putter drives.. here is how things will looks for this weekend

Ian's "Discn Down" Fade Crunch

170 DX Teebird (lil worn) - main driver, nice and straight.. lil fade
170 DX Teebird (beat) - turnovers
170 DX Teebird (domey) - still very stable.. nice fade
169 11x Eagle-X - overstable, my mini firebird

174 ESP Comet - main mid.. dead straight w/ slight fade
174 Elite-X Comet - turnovers
173 12x KC Pro Roc (beat) - nice and straight, getting lil flippy
177 12x KC Pro Roc - overstable, windy approaches

172 12x KC Pro Aviar [San Marino] (perfectly seasoned)- main putter
174 12x KC Pro Aviar [San Marino] (worn) - driving putter
170 ESP Zone (concave) - short flicks, skip shots, etc.

Discs : 11
Molds : 6

Testing : 167 Champion Leopard

Last edited:
Well i tested out the Champion Leopard over the weekend and just never really got a feel for it.. had some decent shots but all n all it was nothing my dx teebirds couldnt do.. not giving up on it since i need more time to test but dont think she will make the bag. Also tossed in a champion teebird to fit between my dx birds/eagle-x and so far really like it..she has a nice predictable fade but still not near as beefy as my eagle. Still testing out the pro-d banger-gt as a driving putter and i can get more distance that i can with my aviars but still hesitant about adding a third putter mold..even tho i dont putt with the zone or banger. So far the discn down is going well but still have LOTS of work to do :thmbup:

170 DX Teebird (lil worn) - main driver, nice and straight
170 12x Champion Teebird - nice predictable fade..fits well between my dx bird/eagle-x
169 11x Champion Eagle-X - overstable, my mini firebird

174 ESP Comet - dead straight w/ slight fade
173 12x KC Pro Roc (beat) - workhorse mid
177 12x KC Pro Roc - overstable, windy approaches

174 12x KC Pro Aviar [San Marino] (worn) - up shots
170 ESP Zone (concave) - short flicks, skip shots, utility disc

Discs : 11

Testing - 173 Pro-D Banger-GT : nice driving putter..nice tweener between rocs & aviars

got 5 rounds in this weekend and really feeling good with the discn down bag.. had some great throws with my teebirds and had my longest drives ever on two holes.. oh and Comets are GREAT! think thats about all i have to say:thmbup:

lol not yet.. i did and do really like them and could get more distance with them but i was throwing the bar stamps and i just seem to be able to shape better lines w/ my rocs and can throw them with reckless abandon.. i seemed a lil hesitant to just sling my bar stamps if water or what not was in play and with the rocs i just sling em lol.. the buzzz did kinda feel better in my hand tho. Im a big fan of few molds in different stages of wear and i can pull that off well w/ the rocs. I like elite-z plastic but there is just something about a nice dirty beat roc that i love :p Last week i had thought bout grabbing some x-wasps to test them out in stages of wear but think im gonna just stick with rocs.. and x-wasps are OOP.. not hard to find but still OOP

Hey guys im looking to get some feedback on an overstable utility disc. Currently i use my 11x Eagle-X for this types of shots but its not as overstable as it once was and even then it might not be as overstable as i need for these shots. Banshee seems to make sense speed wise but was curious if it will be much different then my Eagle-X? I have thrown Firebirds in this slot before and they worked but was thinking i heard Predators arent as overstable as FB's and that might fit my game lil better but yeah any feedback on other molds or what not is much appreciate :thmbup:

predator sounds good. just heard tsunami is a touch less stable than a pred also. perhaps a trident? those are pretty darn stable and in the same range.

banshees are quite a bit more OS than the eagles i have... although i just picked up some eagles a couple weeks ago and have little experience with them.

i've never thrown a predator or trident so i can't speak for those from experience but i believe that i've heard that predators and tridents begin to start their fade much sooner than banshees. my banshee tends to go out straight and then fades hard really quickly rather than a gradual big fade that starts sooner.

Yeah my 11x Eagle-X acts like a mini firebird for me and is pretty darn overstable.. atleast at my power level.. and fits the slot well but sometimes you just need that lil meathook action. Always been curious about the Pred so might try and scoop one just to test out.. i have some experience with the Firebird and it did well but prob just a lil much disc for me atm and never even felt or seen a trident..thats lat64 or something right?

After reading my post it seems like i might have answered my own question " my 11x Eagle-X acts like a mini firebird", "i have some experience with the Firebird... but prob just a lil much disc for me" :p

Last edited:
yea trident is lat 64. if your eagles are flying that os for you just go with what you got. i mainly use my banshee as an os mid more than anything else when i throw it BH. rarely am i throwing it for anything over 310 and usually when i pull it out it's for escaping from woods, tommys/thumbers and flicks.

what did you end up doing with those etchings i sent you, you paint them or just leave them blank?

The preds that I have thrown have all been significantly less stable than the champ firebirds I've used. I always thought of the FB as a utility disc and the Pred as an overstable driver.

I love the trident for this slot, but it crazy overstable not really a workable disc. I use it for spikes, skips, and super crazy hyzer lines. It is much more overstable than the banshee, but a great disc.

I've been using an S-PD as a my distance overstable disc. It's long enough to get me the extra D I want, but still beefy enough to fight wind and not flip over on men.

@ New : so far i have left them blank, i want to paint them but afraid im gonna mess em up lol
@jdw : before i discd down i was throwing S-PD's as my overstable driver too and prob will agan once i disc back up.. but yeah ill prob stick with my 11x eagle-x.. i have a brand new one but its lil heavy and want to swap it for a fresh light weight to toss in with my other.. i have other eagle-x's but all used and close to the one in my bag.. still might snap a pred to mess around with tho

I had one of my best rounds ever this weekend :thmbup: .. things seem to be going really well and feels like the couple things i have been working on are starting to pay off. Noticed i havent really even been going to the banger and throwing the aviars well off the tee so just going to stop testing since doesnt look like i even need to mess with that slot. LOVE the Comets and the Champ Teebird has been a nice addition and has fit a nice slot when i dont need the super fade of the Eagle-X. Havent really noticed anything im really missing while playing but as always suggestions are welcome

170 12x Champion Teebird - nice predictable fade..fits well between my dx bird/eagle-x

174 ESP Comet - dead straight w/ slight fade
173 12x KC Pro Roc (beat) - workhorse
177 12x KC Pro Roc (worn) - still has nice predictable fade
180 12x KC Pro Roc (fresh) - beefy, overstable windy approaches.. just break"n in

174 12x KC Pro Aviar [San Marino] (worn) - up shots, drives
172 12x KC Pro Aviar [San Marino] - practice, drives that need lil more fade

Discs : 13

Oh and i have been very impressed with the Fade Crunch Bag. Still love my Carolina but the smaller bag has been great in the summer and holds more plastic then i thought it would..I guess the only thing i miss is the second water holder but pretty even trade for how much better my back has felt after three rounds :thmbup:

well i took out the max weight 12x KC Pro Roc to add in another ESP Comet. I noticed i dont really need anything more stable then the 177g 12x KC Roc i have in the bag now and it doesnt even really get thrown all that much. But i am LOVING the Comets they can cover such a wide range of shots and have been thinking about adding an Elite-Z to the rotation but we will see how it goes. I have a Champ Rancho Roc on the way and i have been wanting to toss one since i started playing and if its as beefy as im thinking i might could go to an all Comet line and use the Champ Roc for any really overstable duties. So far the discn down is going well but still have a long way to go on my distance but all in due time... i guess :p

172 ESP Comet (worn) - has lil turn but such a fun disc to throw
174 ESP Comet (freshie)- bout dead straight
174 Elite-X Comet - turnovers, water shots, etc.
173 12x KC Pro Roc (beat) - still has lil fade left
177 12x KC Pro Roc (worn) - still has nice predictable fade

174 12x KC Pro Aviar [San Marino] (worn) - up shots, drives
172 12x KC Pro Aviar [San Marino] - practice, drives that need lil more fade

are you throwing the comet on shots that your can't throw with the KC pros? i think you probably can get some thrower BB and replace the comet. or hell comets are so nice maybe putt with them. i'm assuming you are a push putter?

anyhow i think the roc comet is great (no need to beat a roc for 2 years when esp comets are on shelves again). u should really try the flatter dx glow rocs. for what you throw start at 170 and never look for heavier ones. they are dead straight for a long time.

yeah i get more distance with my comets then i do with the aviars but im trying to drive more with my putters. When i started i never really ever used a putter out of the box but that was part of my discn down and i have been starting to get more distance and control with my aviars but i can get way more distance with the comet right now.. I would say i use the aviar for shots around 200 and in.. maybe lil under that but if its over 200 for the most part im prob throwing the comet. Nah im a spin putter..putting is by far my strong point and tends to make up for my lack of distance but i have heard of people using the comet for putts just never tried it. Sweet yeah ill take a look at the glo rocs and i love the flatty flats.. i have a couple really flat kc pros but one is way to heavy for me. I do have some nice lighter old dx rancho rocs.. big bird, stable mid, and they feel great but just havnet messed with them much but im thinking they should be stable enough for me to pair with the comet.

Last edited:
i'm assuming you are a push putter?

to answer this better i guess im a hybrid spin/push putter... i dont put a ton of spin on them but i do use some but other then a lil wrist action my form looks like feldbergs push putt

Just for kicks i thought i would try and see what my bad would look like if i threw all discraft.. i havent thrown many of these so really have no clue..let me know what you think ..

I was thinking maybe something like this....

DX Teebirds - Elite-X Tracker or maybe XL, Stalker..? dont realy know bout this one
11x Eagle-X - ESP Cyclone
KC Pro ROC - Elite-X Wasp
ESP Comet - same
12x KC Pro Aviar - ProD Challenger
ESP Zone - same

i think you might miss the Roc and Tbird after a couple of rounds...:|

Latest posts