• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any info on these would be appreciated. The white is a 169g Discraft Phantom Deuce(Misprint).
picture.php
Discraft's first beveled-edged disc for golf was the Phantom. The Phantom was retooled into the Phantom+ pretty quickly, so most Phantoms you see are Phantom +'s. They were pretty popular because the plastic was very durable, almost like a pre-Z plastic. In the late 80's that was a big deal. They also made a Phantom Lite that was made from a rubbery plastic. The problem with the various versions of the Phantom was that they were all quite understable when compared to an Aviar, so while there was a group of loyal Phantom throwers it wasn't a huge seller. The name became almost synonymous with the bulletproof plastic the disc was made from.

At some point around 1990 the Phantom was discontinued. The story I heard was the first rendition of the story you always hear, that Discraft couldn't get anymore of the raw materials to make any more of that bulletproof plastic. Since the main selling point of the disc was the plastic, it was discontinued. Discraft then tried to re-tool the disc once more, giving it a larger diameter and adding a double lip to the rim but leaving the distinctive flat circle in the center of the top. This new disc was called the Deuce, and it was in the Discraft line-up for most of the 90's. The very early runs of the disc were sold as the "Phantom Deuce," but the "Phantom" was dropped from the name fairly quickly.

Unfortunately, none of the retoolings fixed the flippy problem all of the various versions of the Phantom had. The Deuce was a slow, squirrely turnover approach disc. A few of the old Phantom loyalists would throw them, but it was a very slow seller. It was dropped from the Discraft line-up when the Elite Pro discs were introduced in the late 90's.

Ok so I learned that my 1st Run Pro TeeBird blows large ones. What's up with the Pro TeeBird-L

I understand that it's a TL, but haven't thrown it with Star TL's enough to compare. I think this one is probably more understable/flippy.

Are they basically the same, or does one suck harder than the other one slurps?

Thanks

Deuces wild! I still love the Deuce, its only "squirrely" if you try to rip it hard. I played with three discs from 1990 to 2000, and the deuce was for every shot from 100' to chains. There were a couple different molds, and they usually corresponded to color making it easy. The red one is the more desirable one, but if you could get a purple one they were usually the best. The Deuce is still the most consistent disc for the "air bump" shot due to its low stability and wide diameter. I used to be able to park an air bump shot under an obstacle up to 20' in front of me and have the disc rise out to up to 100'. I will totally buy/trade that Phantom off of you if you are looking to get rid of it.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 17
I played one summer with an 86 Softie and a Deuce as my Putt/Approach combo. Longest summer of my life.

When my dog was a puppy she would chase my putts when I practiced in the back yard, and she would try to chew on my putters when I missed. I used to take some old Deuce and throw them toward the corners of the yard for her to chase and chew on while I was putting. It was the best use for that disc I had ever found.

I still have a couple Deuce. When we dropped them from the store inventory there were still two left. I had a sale and marked them down to $5, and still no one would buy them. I ended up buying them just to get them out of the shop.

The Marauder was a disc I never really got into. It was like a slightly longer mid more than a driver for me. It was pretty straight, nice glide, held up to the wind a lot better than a Raven did. In the end neither the Raven or Marauder added much for me that I couldn't already do with a Roc. It was one of the better large-diameter drivers, though.

It seems to me there was an earlier stamp that didn't have a picture, but this is the only Marauder I still have around.

picture.php

I'm not sure why this disc looks green. It's yellow.
picture.php

Last edited:
Talked to Mark Ellis today. What he said to me was that there are only two types of plastic, the Pro D, and the Elite Z. Elite X, and ESP are just blends of the two. Every blend is different, and mine just happens to be more on the ESP side. He concluded with ESP, and Elite X mean the same thing, "Blend."

So I guess the answer to the question of my disc being ESP is both yes and no. Either way, I like it!

Great info ThreePutt. It's definitely a disc I want to try but I would hate to like the disc and not be able to get it anymore for the most part. Maybe I'll field throw it a couple times and if I don't like it sell it off.

Unidentified Disc

Sorry if this has a mass thread that I missed I looked around and didn't see a place for this, any idea what this disc is? I found it in the water at City Park NOLA yesterday, I asked one of the course pro's he remember's the stamp no idea on the mold, anyone have any info on the mold?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

next to a stingray, the brighter yellow. Also it is noticeably smaller than the stingray when stacked. (smaller diameter than stingray)

Status
Not open for further replies.