• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012-12-17

Is this a CE QMS? Says "Appoved", has bubbles, am I right?

Thanks for any insight.

2012-12-17

Is this a CE QMS? Says "Appoved", has bubbles, am I right?

Thanks for any insight.

Looks like that one is questionable. The guaranteed CE have a 2-tone stamp (QMS one color, bubbles another color). Also, the CE ones are opaque. I'm not saying yours is not for sure - it could still have a CE blend in the plastic. But likely not full CE.

Others might have a different opinion.

Hey guys. Found this disc the other day, no information on it what so ever. Has some weird fundraiser stamp on it. Pretty sure it's a Discraft. Other than that, no idea what it could be. It's super flat and the rim is about 2.5cm wide..
fjOvc.jpg

GU9sQ.jpg

Thank you very much for your response. I should have mentioned the weight in my original post. It's 153g, so you guessed very well. :clap:

Can you tell please me what convinced you that it's a Teebird? I ask because I took it to a local pro shop yesterday to try and ID it, and everyone kept telling me it's a Banshee. Having compared it to a Banshee in the store, I have to admit that it looks very, very close. But I thought that it looked equally similar to a Teebird or TL, both of which are less overstable than a Banshee. I mentioned this to the guys at the pro shop, but they all still said they thought it was a Banshee. None of them could really point out what distinction made them conclude that it's a Banshee as opposed to a Teebird or TL. Just eye-balling the Banshee and Teebird next to each other, I can't tell the difference in the shape. But I guess I must be missing something. Can you point out the distinction(s)?

Also, none of the champ Banshees or Teebirds they had were anywhere near as gummy as my disc. But I neglected to take note of any weight discrepancy. :doh: Do you really think that it could make that much difference in the gumminess? Because I've used some very gummy Rhynos that were on the heavier side. Not as gummy as this mystery disc, but pretty darned gummy. I dunno. What can you tell me?

Thanks again for your help! :thmbup:

Several reasons. First, you mentioned that the rim is 1.7cm wide and 1.1cm deep - that's the exact Teebird specs. Banshee is a little wider and deeper. Second, I've seen plenty of gummy 150-class champ Teebirds, but I haven't seen any Banshees. I could be wrong - I haven't seen every disc out there.

Innova made 150-class Leopards, Eagles, Teebirds, and Valkyries years ago that were gummy. Their heavier counterparts were not. Generally if I see a speed 7-9 disc that's in gummy champ plastic it's almost always 150 class.

I know this is asking kind of a lot without pictures. But I have no camera. So here is the best I can do. I found a disc today with no tooling in it what so ever. It seems like it is made out of a premiumish plastic close to esp/star. It is pretty close in specs to the discraft avenger I have. However the rim is a tad bit wider and the overall diameter is a little bit smaller. I am talking very little bit on both, but still noticable. Any ideas?

I don't know if this helps at all, but the top of it has residue that kind of looks like the top had a sticker instead of a stamp. If that is even possible lol. Sorry for no pics but I really have no camera, not even on my phone. (i know, i know.....)

I dont know if this helps but the rim measured with a caliper:

Depth: .473 in or about 1.2 cm
Width: .811 in or about 2.06 cm

Anyone know anything about this ink stamp? It is on the back of a few KC Pro discs I have and they were once owned by different people. Ii's a swirl around an M
Wiaru.jpg

I don't know if this helps at all, but the top of it has residue that kind of looks like the top had a sticker instead of a stamp. If that is even possible lol. Sorry for no pics but I really have no camera, not even on my phone. (i know, i know.....)

Going to be hard to tell without a picture. Most new Discraft and DGA discs don't have any tooling.

Several reasons. First, you mentioned that the rim is 1.7cm wide and 1.1cm deep - that's the exact Teebird specs. Banshee is a little wider and deeper. Second, I've seen plenty of gummy 150-class champ Teebirds, but I haven't seen any Banshees. I could be wrong - I haven't seen every disc out there.

Innova made 150-class Leopards, Eagles, Teebirds, and Valkyries years ago that were gummy. Their heavier counterparts were not. Generally if I see a speed 7-9 disc that's in gummy champ plastic it's almost always 150 class.

Thank you very, very much. :thmbup: Now that I think about it, it makes sense to put more weight on the two measurements you cited as opposed to some of the others, which were a bit off compare to Teebird spec. I mean, I measured rim thickness and depth with a caliper, but I had to resort to a tape measure for the diameter measurements, because the caliper was too small to use for that. So the diameter measurements are more likely to be wrong. Based on your info, I've ordered a cheap champ, 150 class Teebird. We'll see how close it is, and how closely it flies. Thanks again! :hfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts