• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could change anything about disc golf...

seriously...no matter how you look at it you're defending illegal activities!! wow! does your grandma let you smoke while you are visiting?? i'm not necessarily against it...just keep reading the same thing over and over again....

100 years ago granny couldn't vote. 200 years ago granny could of owned slaves (And also bought marijuana or coke legally). Weak point.

NDAA is legal and I sure as **** wouldn't defend that. Same with the patriot act. I'm damn well never letting corporate sponsored douchebags decide my morailty.

Last edited:
Maybe they were. And good for them. I'm thankful they helped start such an awesome sport. But times are changing man, this sport is growing and it's slowly starting to get recognized by people other than stoners/hippies. I'm not either of those, stoner or hippie, and don't particularly like when people assume I am because of disc golf. It really hacks me off and I'm just plain sick and tired of that image. I don't care if you smoke or not, just don't ruin this sport because you couldn't wait 30 minutes until the round was done and you were away from the course.

So are you ok with drunks and sh it smokers?

Honestly, the thing I would change is the acceptance of disc golf time. How hard is it to start a tournament on time or show up when you said you'd show up?

My free time is limited and pretty much has to be scheduled. So I often prefer playing by myself or with friends that are only casual golfers. Otherwise rounds always get started late and end late and it throws off the timing of things that are actually important in life. It's just not worth it.

On the plus side, my putting is usually warmed up by the time people get there. So I have that advantage for the first few holes.

Last edited:
Honestly, the thing I would change is the acceptance of disc golf time. How hard is it to start a tournament on time or show up when you said you'd show up?

My free time is limited and pretty much has to be scheduled. So I often prefer playing by myself or with friends that are only casual golfers. Otherwise rounds always get started late and end late and it throws off the timing of things that are actually important in life. It's just not worth it.

How about charging $75 + for a tournament?

I still don't understand how they overcharge that much:rolleyes:

Prerube is right on this one. Illegal is illegal, if you cant follow park rules don't come to the park.

Bingo.

To me smoking and drinking on a course is about respect. 100% of the courses I've played on are on public land and funded by the local taxpayers. Occasionally, I run across a course that is pay to play and I know there is no way they are covering expenses with what they are charging. When dg'ers smoke and drink on the course it's as if they are saying, "Well gee thanks for the free course that I am going to play on here and to show my gratitude I am going to illegally smoke some tree."

Ok great, potheads think that hippy lettuce ought to be legal but can you take that battle somewhere else? Like where it belongs - in Washington DC? MANY people go through a lot of heart-ache to get some of these courses installed, the least we can do is show a little respect for the rules so the community doesn't regret installing the course. A few posts back someone mentioned that there is a club that turned a blind eye to drinking on the course. That's pretty ridiculous and sounds like a good way to get a dg course closed down. Someone in that club needs to grow a pair and tell the drinking knuckleheads to cut it out or get lost. If you can't wait till you get home to pop open the Pabst or smoke the mary jane you've got a significant problem.

That's the one thing I would change - respect the rules. Notice I didn't say agree with...I said respect.

I would get rid of the a-holes and db's that somehow got through the filters!

I agree with prerube mostly, if you are going to smoke, do it discretely, if you are going to smoke cigs and/or drink, pick up your godarn trash.

Show some respect for the courses and your fellow human beings. Most of us are a pretty cool bunch of people. Accept people for who they are. Don't perpetuate the negatives, instead focus on the positives. Educate people. Disc golf may have been known as an "herb friendly" sport, but that doesn't have to be the only thing its known for.

Not sure if someone already touched on this but, I would try to get rid of the stereotype that everyone who plays DG are also Pot-Heads. I don't have an issue with people who choose this as a lifestyle but, I think the sport is being pulled down by the stereotype.

When I had my first meeting with the City of Fairborn to plan HAH (see my sig.), that was, literally, the first question out of their mouth..."is there really a drug problem?". They were not so much concerned about the worth of Disc Golf to the community, but the potential problem drug use would cause in a public park.

Sad really.

Little Oz,

You said "What are we missing?" I thinking it's more of not what are we missing but what don't we provide! Just a few examples:

1. A convenient-to-film venue. A half-pipe is totally open (no blindspots to 'miss any of the action') and one needs 3 or 4 cameras; 40 acres of trees and hills can be a slight logistical challenge and need a bazillion cameras.
2. Any run in a half-pipe takes numerous seconds (this 'works' for the A.D.D. society we now live in); a round (god forbid two) of dg takes 3.5 hours (there's a reason why movies are 1.5 hours...).
3. There is MUCH merch that can be ad'd in BMX, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc., and it costs more than $7-$15 a pop. For ad-men it's ALL about the ROI.
4. There is no risk of being hurt / crashes / etc. Other people's pain SELLS on TV. Throw a disc into a tree...aw (bfd). Drive your face into a wooden board / the stearing wheel...neat (cool).
5. People DO understand that skateboarding is NOT easy (nor riding a bike and doing flips, etc.) and thus have 'respect' for such. EVERYONE has thrown a frisbee / played ping-pong but don't equate that what THEY do is factors different than what WCs at their sport do. For some reason there isn't this same respect transfer for dg and p-p.

Again, just a few ideas....

Karl

Maybe they were. And good for them. I'm thankful they helped start such an awesome sport. But times are changing man, this sport is growing and it's slowly starting to get recognized by people other than stoners/hippies. I'm not either of those, stoner or hippie, and don't particularly like when people assume I am because of disc golf. It really hacks me off and I'm just plain sick and tired of that image. I don't care if you smoke or not, just don't ruin this sport because you couldn't wait 30 minutes until the round was done and you were away from the course.

It will get there eventually, its just not going to happen overnight. Ball golf has been around for a LONG time. Back when it first started it was only played by a small percentage of rich white guys. It wasn't until I was young that it turned very mainstream. And it really didn't explode and cross all color and gender barriers until Tiger Woods hit the scene. Everyone wanted to get a set of clubs and try it after that. When I first started playing I didn't need a tee time anywhere. After Tiger, I would call a week ahead of time and still not get the tee time I wanted. Disc golf will be there one day. Maybe not in our lifetime, but it will be there and people will still smoke pot on the course just like they still do in ball golf. Over the years with people like you playing, it will slowly loose that image. I just don't like people talking **** about the guys that brought us this sport and did most of the work to get us here. Its still a relatively young sport in the whole scheme of things. Just keep throwing and have fun.

Last edited:
Prerube is right on this one. Illegal is illegal, if you cant follow park rules don't come to the park.

So is speeding. I bet you've done that a few times in the last week. Don't get in your car anymore

So is speeding. I bet you've done that a few times in the last week. Don't get in your car anymore

When you speed you only risk your own right to drive, when you drink at a public park that bans it, you risk getting the course closed for everyone. Good point, but not a proper analogy.

I would get rid of the a-holes and db's that somehow got through the filters!

I agree with prerube mostly, if you are going to smoke, do it discretely, if you are going to smoke cigs and/or drink, pick up your godarn trash.

Show some respect for the courses and your fellow human beings. Most of us are a pretty cool bunch of people. Accept people for who they are. Don't perpetuate the negatives, instead focus on the positives. Educate people. Disc golf may have been known as an "herb friendly" sport, but that doesn't have to be the only thing its known for.

Simply to the point. Great post!

I would only change one thing. People following proper etiquette on the course. There needs to be a way to tell chuckers what the deal is. IF you are in a big group let others play through. Do not throw on the group ahead of you ever, it could seriously injure someone. D bag disc golfers should get there own course where proper golfers get to shoot at them with sniper rifles. NOt too much to complain about but i hate people that think they own the course.

I don't get the push to eliminate divisions. With that change you'd instantly cut the number of sanctioned tourney players majorly. People enjoy being competitive, not just coming out to donate to the guys at the top. You'd be even less likely to be able to support any touring pros with a smaller player base and no money coming in through the wholesale/retail differential on the am side.

mashnut is right, people would stop playing pdga's by the masses if you made all Am's play one big division.

New013 is right about mashnut being right

0.jpg

Dr. Samuel Johnson's Right About Olson Johnson Being Right

if you eliminate the divisions like what was previously discussed then so many less people would play tournaments because so many would not chuck money into something that they have literally Zero chance of cashing.

dear illiterate people. before you say, "hey, i compete all the time and i have zero% chance of winning". please note that i wasn't specifying 'you'. i said "so many less people".

it's the competitive aspect that draws a lot of people to tournaments. it's fun to compete with people of like skills.

back on topic. i would change the hate.

example:

i've seen people put countless hours, money, sweat & heartache into volunteering and upkeeping courses. then some adult male with the mind of a child posts on that courses forum nothing but hate about blah blah blah and not only expects the people working so hard to just work harder, but also gets 100% agreements from all those around them.

there is very little thankfulness in disc golf but there is more than enough hate.

no one hates on disc golfers as much as other disc golfers.

i look at tournament and pdga discussions and i see is a string of complaints over and over.

one thing i'll never understand is how people can take all that abuse but still keep volunteering their own time and money to do what they love.

so next time you want to post about how Hole #2 sucks cuz it's too close to Hole #3, instead say thank you for the awesome new concrete tee and the kiosk that was repaired after some vandalism, ... then suggest that the tee for Hole #2 be moved to a new area if possible to make a safer flow.

in other words, grow the ef up and say thank you more often than you complain.

Last edited:

Latest posts