• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illegal over weight discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
To inject some sensability back into this Convo...

Do PDGA SuperClass events go by weight or diameter? I would assume diameter since you can throw say, a Zephyr or a Condor in a standard tourney...but if you were to get your hands on a 200 gram Destroyer could you play with it? I don't know why you would, it'd be about impossible to throw, but in theory..

a Destroyer has a max of 175.1, so you can not throw a 200 destroyer a tourney.
Superclass discs are listed on the chart. you can buy a light weight super class, it is about diameter.

Last edited:
Oh man. Here I was thinking I was playing this innocent little game and then this thread comes along and exposes all the filth and seedy corruption that lies beneath the surface, like a deadly mold hidden inside a child's playroom. I just don't know if I want to live in a world where people throw slightly heavier than they should be discs at metal baskets in a park. When it came out that competitive cycling was plagued with doping it was 3 months before I could even look at a bicycle without throwing up. Now when the Chinese food delivery guy rides up to my building I just shout "How do you live with yourself!?!" Hell, when I found out Mark McGwire was juicing it spurned a hatred for gingers that burns to this day.

To help further elaborate, if things people you've NEVER met, type on the internet SERIOUSLY offend you, then the problem lies 99.9% in your court. Hell, things people I know personally couldn't get me riled up, unless it read something along the lines of "Your house has burnt down, and as your family ran outside, they were exposed to Sarin gas, and instead of treatment being administered, we shot them" and even then, I'd say "Pics or it didn't happen"

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

A few grams never hurt anyone....well except maybe Tony Montana or George Jung...

Wow! Read it all!

Max weight is max weight. Once the disc is weighed and marked it is final. Do yourself a favor and don't worry about it so much. If it is over by 2-5 grams, there is such a minimal difference, it is silly to consider it significant. The PDGA puts rules/regulations in place to minimize potential harm to pedestrians/other players on these sort of issues...I think. A few grams over is not going to spell certain doom.

I wouldn't have known that a Cyclone couldn't go to 178 until jw said something. I would have just assumed it was in the same weight class as the comet or Buzzz. Still sounds dodgy if they are based on diameter like 'rube was saying. I'm not going to go find out what the max possible weight is for everyone of my discs and then weigh mine and hope they are all there, and then weigh my back ups! That sounds like some OCD crap. Get over it, the only time anyone should be worried about a few grams is if they just bought an ounce of blow.

To help further elaborate, if things people you've NEVER met, type on the internet SERIOUSLY offend you, then the problem lies 99.9% in your court. Hell, things people I know personally couldn't get me riled up, unless it read something along the lines of "Your house has burnt down, and as your family ran outside, they were exposed to Sarin gas, and instead of treatment being administered, we shot them" and even then, I'd say "Pics or it didn't happen"

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

JungA few grams never hurt anyone....well except maybe Tony Montana or George ...

I love that this thread has become so off topic we are getting blow references. Now if you could only snort plastic:rolleyes:

14003448811862988_00yx6vHg_c.jpg

:popcorn:

Altitude/elevation and latitude will also affect weight. A disc may be legal in the north pole or the rocky mountains, but not at the equator or sea level.

Discs are also weightless in outer space. Pretty sure that makes them legal no matter how much they weigh.

You play with a disc for a while, it will pick up dirt and weigh more. Go wash that wraith OP. Let it dry and see if it is still overweight.

Discs actually absorb water, so they can get heavier when you send them swimming. you have an allowance of up to 2.5g over stated max weight to work with.

@ Matt O: Thanks for your original post, it brought up an interesting point that I had never thought about before. While I am sure no one will ever really notice or overly care about you throwing a slightly over weight disc, it would be a good thing to know for certain before ever playing a high end tournament. Also, it gave me a clearer picture of why I've heard people saying that you should never buy max weight because you don't know exactly what you'll end up with. I like throwing discs in the 168-171 range, and never thought that if I bought a 175 disc to use in heavy winds that I could end up with something ranging 2-5 grams heavier than the written weight.

@ Prerube: Thank you for posting some relevant information in response to the OP's original question. It was helpful to me and I'm sure to Matt O as well. I would say that because your posts didn't involve links to other threads on this site that the question of overweight discs is a new topic on DGCR. This adds in props to Matt O for starting an original discussion, and not something that has been addressed to death over the years. Also, thank you for your attempts to keep the thread lighthearted without slinging insults or derailing the conversation.

Last edited:
Discs actually absorb water, so they can get heavier when you send them swimming. you have an allowance of up to 2.5g over stated max weight to work with.

Is this official? So your saying that if I have a driver with a max legal weight of 176g, it can weigh 178.5g and still be considered legal?

I've been told that if you ever come across some old timer that putts with a Super Puppy, you have to watch out for overweight discs because the PDGA limit is somewhere around 175g, but they used to be molded in weights up to 220g before there were any sort of restrictions.

That is one long sentence.

Well max weight is based on disc diameter, so the larger a disc is, the heavier the max weight can be.

So 175ish grams is max weight for most discs in the standard size, but midranges are a little bit wider so they can be more like 180g. Discs like the Zephyr and other super-class discs can be as heavy as 200g, and in some cases maybe even heaver.

So I don't know what the diameter is on a Super-Puppy, but there's a chance that it's a wide rimmed disc and would be viable in heavier weights.

super puppy is small...and 229g is the highest i have seen....

http://www.discgolfsweden.se/discar/discar_sokdisc_eng.aspx?DiscId=1629

Discs are also weightless in outer space. Pretty sure that makes them legal no matter how much they weigh.

You play with a disc for a while, it will pick up dirt and weigh more. Go wash that wraith OP. Let it dry and see if it is still overweight.

The Wraith was new.

you have an allowance of up to 2.5g over stated max weight to work with.

I remember something along these lines and searched, but couldn't find it anywhere... I was actually thinking it was 2% which would be 3.5g with a 175g disc.
That said, I still have owned innova discs that were well above that threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts