• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illegal over weight discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are actually weighing discs you got way too much time. What makes you think your scale is correct? I'd want that verified by 3 different scales that have been professionally calibrated. If the factory stamps a weight on it, that's an official weight as far as I'm concerned.

The gram scales where I work are professionally calibrated once a year. Most of the time the written weight on a disc is correct. I haven't weighed every disc I have, just a few. The question however was raised by the guy with the Wraith I spoke of in the OP. Also, weighing a disc takes two seconds.

You sound like somebody that gets on the internet to try to make themselves feel better about being a little guy. It's called "little man complex". It's okay, I've met a lot of people like you. You're you and there's nothing that can change that.
snap you got owned!! Great comeback!!! Matt o!!

That is all!

Altitude/elevation and latitude will also affect weight. A disc may be legal in the north pole or the rocky mountains, but not at the equator or sea level.

I've been buying and selling a lot of discs lately, and I've actually been blown away by how often the marked weights are incorrect. I'd honestly have to say minimal 60% of the discs I've weighed have been off by at least a couple grams.

If you are actually weighing discs you got way too much time. What makes you think your scale is correct? I'd want that verified by 3 different scales that have been professionally calibrated. If the factory stamps a weight on it, that's an official weight as far as I'm concerned.

I weigh all discs I buy at the store or at home. Not sure what the big deal is. I also have a 178.3 gram wizard(marked 175)- 4 grams over the max weight for that mold. I would say that someone that has almost 4,000 posts is more likely to have too much time on their hands.

You sound like somebody that gets on the internet to try to make themselves feel better about being a little guy. It's called "little man complex". It's okay, I've met a lot of people like you. You're you and there's nothing that can change that.

Burn :popcorn:

While the marked weights aren't always correct they are usually only off by a couple of grams. Disc manufacturers don't have the time to scale each and every disc they make and in the end what's a gram or two when it comes to discs?

Well max weight is based on disc diameter, so the larger a disc is, the heavier the max weight can be.

So 175ish grams is max weight for most discs in the standard size, but midranges are a little bit wider so they can be more like 180g. Discs like the Zephyr and other super-class discs can be as heavy as 200g, and in some cases maybe even heaver.

So I don't know what the diameter is on a Super-Puppy, but there's a chance that it's a wide rimmed disc and would be viable in heavier weights.

The super puppy looks basically like a rattler. It is a small diameter, blunt nosed lid with a very thin but deep rim. They used really dense plastic to make the discs heavier and better in the wind. From what I understand, they were very early golf discs before the beveled edge came into existence. I'm well aware that the diameter of the disc determines it's maximum weight.

I've weighed a lot of discs lately that are over the max weight per PDGA standards. I agree with what was said earlier, no one would be able to tell what weight you're throwing.

Super Puppy on the right. This one was always called the Dead Head Super Puppy because..... :p

picture.php

It has come to my attention that a lot of discs don't weigh what's marked on them. Some of them even weigh more than what the PDGA allows. I know of somebody that had a Wraith marked 174g, but it actually weighed 178g. Over the PDGA maximum for a Wraith. How can a manufacturer stamp PDGA approved on a disc that is illegal? Has anyone ever attempted to get a refund/replacement in this situation?

The gram scales where I work are professionally calibrated once a year. Most of the time the written weight on a disc is correct. I haven't weighed every disc I have, just a few. The question however was raised by the guy with the Wraith I spoke of in the OP. Also, weighing a disc takes two seconds.

Which is it, a lot, or just a few of yours? You sound like the one with a Napoleon complex. Shut up already. :mad:

Altitude/elevation and latitude will also affect weight. A disc may be legal in the north pole or the rocky mountains, but not at the equator or sea level.

Uhhh...

tumblr_m8ljbuVVcO1ro9s10.jpg

I'm disappointed in the number of responses from people saying "people won't know if you're throwing an illegal disc." In golf, people take it upon themselves to self-police and play equipment that's within the rules. Callaway even came out with an "illegal" driver awhile ago, and Arnold Palmer of all people supported it, but it didn't sell at all and was a complete flop.

When/if I begin playing tournaments I'm going to do my best not to carry any illegal weight discs. Those are the rules, and I will follow them.

Besides, weighing a disc is easy for someone with a postal scale. C'mon.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in the number of responses from people saying "people won't know if you're throwing an illegal disc." In golf, people take it upon themselves to self-police and play equipment that's within the rules.

Disc Golf has a loooong way to go my friend. We are nowhere near self policing yet. Or at least nowhere near the level ball golf is.

Wow this got nasty in a hurry.

Beside the mud slinging, I try not to buy illegal discs. I want to get a cyclone the other day, but it was a 178g. As pretty as it was, I chose something I knew was legal.

I have also played in plenty of A tier and a couple of NT and nobody has ever weighed my discs.

Wow! I ask a couple questions about disc weight, and this somehow offends people.

Q: Why would this offend anyone?

A: Because said people have discs in their bags that are over the PDGA weight limit.

The ONLY other answer could be that they just felt like being a d**k today. What is the problem? I'm so glad nobody I've met around here that plays disc golf acts like that. It's a fun, relatively inexpensive sport. Stop being a douche! I'm just trying to get some clarification on the rules for a tournament, and if an overweight disc that reads "PDGA approved" is false advertising. So suck it.

thats funny.. from a man that post about "illegal disc" being a few grams over.. you sound like another liberal idiot.. stfu and just go throw some disc.. throw some blizzards if the heavy weights are to much for you kid

Weighing discs seems a bit excessive at tournaments or at the store for purchase. Personally, I'd say if the disc was purchased marked as a legal weight and it is within a couple grams, that should be acceptable. Just my two cents.

Can you even purchase disc golf discs that are marked as being over the legal weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts