• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illegal over weight discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting question, stuff like this makes you wonder

also
i weigh all my discs, they are almost always off 1-2 g. sometimes 3-4 g.

last week, i got a CFR glow firebird that marked 167, I got it home and it weighed 176
too heavy for my wiener arm, so I took it back and exchanged it for a CFR glow sidwinder that was marked 167 and was actually 168

There is no minimum weight to a disc but the max is 200g. I do not believe that it matters on the mold. 175g is simply the most preferred weight. (think about it, 150 is too light, 200 is just too heavy! What would Goldy Locks do?)

thats funny.. from a man that post about "illegal disc" being a few grams over.. you sound like another liberal idiot.. stfu and just go throw some disc.. throw some blizzards if the heavy weights are to much for you kid

He is not saying heavy weight discs are too much, he is asking why anyone would sell illegal discs. Man, you really need to read posts before you start insulting people.

I haven't weighed anything in my bag. The only time I pull out a scale is if I'm selling on the MP and someone asks. At a tourney I doubt there will be people with scales, a list of discs and their max possible weights, and the time to weigh every disc in every pro and Am's bag. This seems like overblowing nothing into something.

There is no minimum weight to a disc but the max is 200g. I do not believe that it matters on the mold. 175g is simply the most preferred weight. (think about it, 150 is too light, 200 is just too heavy! What would Goldy Locks do?)

THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG :wall:

Each mold has a different max weight based on diameter. Many discs have a max weight of 175.

Not all discs are approved for 200g. Pdga has specific weights that each mold is allowed to max out at.

Knowingly throwing an illegal disc during competition would make that person a... well, we all know what they are.

'nuff said.

Marshall Street weighs every disc and sells them based on their scale weight, not marked weight, so you can review discs for sale on their website to get an idea of the range of actual weights based on their scale.

Knowingly throwing an illegal disc during competition would make that person a... well, we all know what they are.

'nuff said.

I wouldn't have known that a Cyclone couldn't go to 178 until jw said something. I would have just assumed it was in the same weight class as the comet or Buzzz. Still sounds dodgy if they are based on diameter like 'rube was saying. I'm not going to go find out what the max possible weight is for everyone of my discs and then weigh mine and hope they are all there, and then weigh my back ups! That sounds like some OCD crap. Get over it, the only time anyone should be worried about a few grams is if they just bought an ounce of blow.

Marshall Street weighs every disc and sells them based on their scale weight, not marked weight, so you can review discs for sale on their website to get an idea of the range of actual weights based on their scale.

and if someone forgot to tare the scale you can always take a lighter to it to get rid of those pesky 2 grams! :D

Altitude/elevation and latitude will also affect weight. A disc may be legal in the north pole or the rocky mountains, but not at the equator or sea level.

Altitude affects "weight" only. The measurement that is used on golf discs is grams which is a unit of "mass". Mass doesn't change just because of elevation. A 175g object at sea level is still 175g on top of Mt. Everest and on the moon even as long as the properties of that object didn't change.

The properties of golf discs can change as the plastics absorb water from the air and become more "dense" and gain mass. So a disc that is 175g at 80% humidity at a high elevation could be much lower in the dry air of Death Valley, even though it is much lower in elevation. The weight may do something totally different because of the elevation change.

Last edited:
It seems like a few people forgot to take their medication today...

Wow. I second this. WTF is going on here? I try and read a thread about disc weight and its just full of random idiots insulting everyone and getting pissed about nothing. I sure hope this doesn't turn into a regular occurance. The complete lack of reading someones post and then insulting them for no reason is quite disturbing. I've got a good reason to insult the idiots now. See how that's supposed to work.

And I have no wisdom to add to this thread. I've kinda wondered the same thing in the past. I had a Destroyer that weighed 179.

Last edited:
thats funny.. from a man that post about "illegal disc" being a few grams over.. you sound like another liberal idiot.. stfu and just go throw some disc.. throw some blizzards if the heavy weights are to much for you kid

Congratulations!!! You are the 1,000,000th person to call someone an idiot on the internet while having grammatical errors on the same post. Also, I have a 178g Meteor that I can consistently throw 400'. Do you think I could throw a lighter one farther?

I wouldn't have known that a Cyclone couldn't go to 178 until jw said something. I would have just assumed it was in the same weight class as the comet or Buzzz. Still sounds dodgy if they are based on diameter like 'rube was saying. I'm not going to go find out what the max possible weight is for everyone of my discs and then weigh mine and hope they are all there, and then weigh my back ups! That sounds like some OCD crap. Get over it, the only time anyone should be worried about a few grams is if they just bought an ounce of blow.

If you don't know your disc is illegal... there isn't a problem.
If you do know your disc is illegal... would you play with it during competition?

This game is based on honesty. Honest people win honestly. Dishonest people don't really ever win.

i used this in a tournament. some people just wanna watch the world burn

f7mME.jpg

Last edited:
Fishy, a cyclone can be legal if it is marked 177 because they round up. you are 1 gram over. It is not giving you a distinct advantage. The illegal discs that I have issue with are the guys who brag about throwing 180g wizards to fight the wind.

Illegal weight discs can be used in your casual play, they are only going to come back to haunt you if someone sees your disc upside down and they happen to know the max weight of that mold.

I haven't played in a tournament, and I don't own a scale but if I purchase my discs online I only buy them if they are at or below the max weight for the mold. I know that it "doesn't matter," and nobody is going to weight them but my conscience would annoy me if I knowingly used an illegal disc. Do whatever you like though:)

What is Mitt Romney's plan for disc weights? I can't find anything about his plans for a reform on PDGA weight sanctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts