• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done returning discs

Are you having trouble hanging meat off of them to grill? Or having issues with charcoal falling out the bottom?

Everyone knows you line it with AL foil.

The question really comes down to which basket produces the best BBQ.

We run a local retail business that is well known. I take them to the shop and have the owners pick them up here at their leisure. Simple and works really well. The ONLY disc that I haven't managed to reunite with it's owner is a well seasoned old Champ Destroyer (you can't see through it anymore). I'm honoring it's well loved life as someone's go-to driver by throwing it myself.

Here in Kzoo we have league night at four different courses on four different nights each week. It's pretty easy to text a number, tell them you're giving the Disc to Larry who is up by his van collecting dues and handing out prizes, and they can get it from him. Just reunited a Disc with its owner the other day who lost it two months ago. It was half buried in muck at VIRA behind #15.

Somebody the same night had returned the Pro Orc I had thrown into the pond a few weeks ago. Larry had it waiting for me.
Thankfully that one guy who sells them back to you at full retail didn't get it first.

I'd say the regulars in our area lose at least 10+ a year.

Heck, the other week, I watched a group ahead of me throw 15 discs in the water over the course of 3 holes.

I almost lost my entire bag on the Toboggan, hole 3 right side shule. And I don't mean I threw every disc in there, no I mean my actual bag with all the discs and everything in it. For those who have ever been there, you know first-hand how that could happen. I had a solid 10 minute (at least) search before I found it.

I almost lost my entire bag on the Toboggan, hole 3 right side shule. And I don't mean I threw every disc in there, no I mean my actual bag with all the discs and everything in it. For those who have ever been there, you know first-hand how that could happen. I had a solid 10 minute (at least) search before I found it.

get a pink bag

same concept as pink discs vs green discs

I'm not someone else caddy

So I have had this debate with a buddy of mine for a while. I began playing disc a long time ago. I only had a few discs. Back then, nobody seemed to put phone numbers on discs, you gave up on it, you left it for the next guy to decide whether he liked the disc. Anyways, a good chunk of me developing a love for the game was the excitement of finding a new disc to throw that I had never thrown before. Not only that, it allowed me to throw discs with different characteristics to see develop an understanding for how discs fly and that not all discs just throw in a big hyzer. I found discs that shaped my future of disc golf and preferences for what I currently throw. It helped develop my knowledge. i found plenty of discs that helped me learn disc golf and made it exciting for me to play. Then came along the crowd that felt they can just give up on discs and leave a number on it and someone else would swim for it, trudge through the thorn bushes, look, dig and sweat through the itchiest mosquitos and just call you back to give it back. like because all you number guys think that the polite thing to do is for someone else to find your disc and call you, that I have to play by that same "rule of thumb." Well here is my theory and how I play, I will not change what I felt was good for new players. If you leave it, you gave up and left it for another guy to discover his game with. That being said, I also do not write my number on any discs. I don't want it back, if I give up on my disc and you find it, I hope you tear it up with it and find something you love in that disc like have countless times back when people didn't expect everyone else to do their dirty work for them. Find a disc with a number, its yours, but don't expect your discs back. Enjoy disc and get better and find someone elses gem that may revolutionize your disc game. Have fun and if you want your disc, don't give up looking for it you lazy bum or kiss it goodbye. That's oldschool and its a proven means of developing interest from newer players.

So I have had this debate with a buddy of mine for a while. I began playing disc a long time ago. I only had a few discs. Back then, nobody seemed to put phone numbers on discs, you gave up on it, you left it for the next guy to decide whether he liked the disc. Anyways, a good chunk of me developing a love for the game was the excitement of finding a new disc to throw that I had never thrown before. Not only that, it allowed me to throw discs with different characteristics to see develop an understanding for how discs fly and that not all discs just throw in a big hyzer. I found discs that shaped my future of disc golf and preferences for what I currently throw. It helped develop my knowledge. i found plenty of discs that helped me learn disc golf and made it exciting for me to play. Then came along the crowd that felt they can just give up on discs and leave a number on it and someone else would swim for it, trudge through the thorn bushes, look, dig and sweat through the itchiest mosquitos and just call you back to give it back. like because all you number guys think that the polite thing to do is for someone else to find your disc and call you, that I have to play by that same "rule of thumb." Well here is my theory and how I play, I will not change what I felt was good for new players. If you leave it, you gave up and left it for another guy to discover his game with. That being said, I also do not write my number on any discs. I don't want it back, if I give up on my disc and you find it, I hope you tear it up with it and find something you love in that disc like have countless times back when people didn't expect everyone else to do their dirty work for them. Find a disc with a number, its yours, but don't expect your discs back. Enjoy disc and get better and find someone elses gem that may revolutionize your disc game. Have fun and if you want your disc, don't give up looking for it you lazy bum or kiss it goodbye. That's oldschool and its a proven means of developing interest from newer players.

My problem with that is that the courses are really crowded now. I don't really feel comfortable looking for a disc while the next 10 groups hurl discs at me. And I certainly don't like playing holes with people poking around a few feet away from my landing zone.

So don't penalize me for trying to keep it moving and share the course.

i don't lose very many discs. The few I do, I generally walk away from. I did not give up looking, I generally don't notice it missing for several holes or until the next time I go to throw it...maybe another day.

get a pink bag

same concept as pink discs vs green discs

This was a long time ago, way before backpack bags, I had a black (of course) shoulder sling Innova bag, those starter ones all the newbs used to get that carry like 12 discs. You set that thing down in tall grass and run off deep into the woods for awhile looking for your trash tee shot and that bag can disappear real quick.

Yep, same with a phone case too. Having a bright pink phone case sure comes in handy if you drop it somewhere.

Every single disc I have returned has been a huge ordeal in getting returned. I hardly received a thank you from these people let alone any type of rewards for my time, gas or effort getting it back to them.

I hit this point last fall.

Half my neighborhood card has had really cool people return a disc they like, and consequently they like the dial-a-pal theory. Bless them, and bless you if you are also such a fine human.

Personally, I've never received a call and lost several cherished discs when I first started. Otoh, I found tons of discs with ink on them, and, at first, I religiously texted each one to return their castoff. I have the same general complaint as OP. While the occasional gracious and genuine 'thank you' went a long ways, more often the original owner placed further demands and expectations for the return of the disc, and there was never any offer of reimbursement, not that I would have accepted it. My personal experience with the 'system' soured me.

One of my other neighborhood card mates used to play DeLa back in the 90s and had been away from playing for a while and he liked the finders-keepers custom from back in the day. He got to find cool new discs that he might try and fall in love with. And if you lost a disc after a solid search, well, pour one out and hope the next guy to find it falls in love with it.

He caught me with his philosophy when I had just spent hours of my time doing disc return charity work to the types of people OP describes. Like waiting tables with a smile and prompt service with no tips. I think I was at 15 or so returned without ever once receiving a call on the 7 or so discs that I lost.

So I stopped inking my discs, I want whoever finds mine to have a cherry disc that they might fall in love with or hell, even if you are a scavenger looking to cash some discs for some meth, enjoy your high on me, chump.

The more I thought about it, the more finders-keepers just seemed like the cleanest, most simple, and ideal approach. If you really like your disc, heck, look harder. Get better at finding it. Go back and look for it after the round. The lengths to which I've gone in order to find my favorite discs...honestly makes me feel judgy about those who expect the world to come to them and satisfy their claims of possession when they essentially abandoned it.

Anyways, my idealist card mates tell me it's douchy, and I love them for their sense of community, but personally it just seems wrong to me that everyone pees like a dog on beautiful discs with their sharpie...discs that end up being inadvertently discarded with this implied claim of non-abandonment, on a course somewhere when they could be a clean gift instead of imposing the presumption of a burden.

So if I find one and I know the person, or I run into someone on the course at the time, sweet. The rest of them I'll try out to see if they are a great disc or learn about them, maybe pass them along to my son or a friend, maybe use it for a disc-dyeing attempt.

I love the idea that the disc golf community might have the comity and goodwill behind the ink-your-disc system, but from my perspective it would be a lot better all around if no one peed on their discs. I think it was a bad idea from the start, imposing this presumption of an obligation when the natural state of things is just so much more simple and hassle-free.

So, judge me freely, but know that I won't judge you about it either way (ok maybe a little like I explained :p ). My own experience with the system has been unfavorable--it takes so much time for so little grace in return, and the alternative seems like the most practical approach.

This is why I leave my bag in the fairway.

ESPECIALLY on Toboggan #3

So I stopped inking my discs, I want whoever finds mine to have a cherry disc that they might fall in love with or hell, even if you are a scavenger looking to cash some discs for some meth, enjoy your high on me, chump.

The more I thought about it, the more finders-keepers just seemed like the cleanest, most simple, and ideal approach. If you really like your disc, heck, look harder. Get better at finding it. Go back and look for it after the round. The lengths to which I've gone in order to find my favorite discs...honestly makes me feel judgy about those who expect the world to come to them and satisfy their claims of possession when they essentially abandoned it.

garbage opinion. return other people's property or you're just trying to justify being a poopy person.

garbage opinion. return other people's property or you're just trying to justify being a poopy person.

He even goes so far as to say, "Quit ruining the look of the disc I stole from you!" :eek: :\ :thmbdown:

Don't ink, cool.

Don't expend effort, cool. I get it.

But that doesn't all of a sudden make it justifiable to take someone else's property.

You could leave it where you found it, return it to the kiosk at the 1st hole (or a similar visible place), give it to another local if they know the person, etc. Lots of options not to end up with someone else's property, especially if it's inked.

I usually text them and offer to send to them with a few bucks paypal requested.
nothing more.

Could be. What is certain though is that imposing obligations wantonly and discarding personal property is similarly immoral. What gives anyone the moral authority to impose significant demands on others for their own carelessness, misfortune, or unwillingness to spend their own time finding their property? That is a similarly 'poopy'.

And what is up with the shaming? And why assert the false statement that it's 'other people's property' when it has been intentionally abandoned?

If we can't discuss this unemotionally, it's only going to make the community worse.

I love the noble intent, but from a practical standpoint, it just doesn't play out that way and it would be much more simple with much less moral baggage to return to finders keepers--which also seems more in keeping with the law of the land.

I'll hang up and listen.

Jukeshoe and Robdeforge claim that abandoned discs are 'other people's property'. Is this actually true? Haven't they been intentionally abandoned and belong to no one, strictly speaking?

I get this weird 'we wanna shame you' vibe, but I'm less clear on the actual moral and legal basis of it. But I am open to a well-spoken argument!

Jukeshoe and Robdeforge claim that abandoned discs are 'other people's property'. Is this actually true? Haven't they been intentionally abandoned and belong to no one, strictly speaking?

I get this weird 'we wanna shame you' vibe, but I'm less clear on the actual moral and legal basis of it. But I am open to a well-spoken argument!

"Legally" it is your property until you properly dispose of it or sell it.
"Legally" leaving a disc behind is littering.

Now, you're going to waste everyone's time if you really dig into the legality of it. No one is going to file a police report over a $15 piece of plastic.

"Morally" it is the responsibility of the disc loser to search, but sometimes it is lost.
"Morally" it is the responsibility of the disc finder to call or text, because you wouldn't keep someone's lost dog/wallet/phone. (Hopefully, maybe you're more morally challenged)

In the end it's almost a wash for me. I have had 3 people call me about lost discs, but they weren't discs I really cared about. The few that I have cared about have never showed up.
I'm not advocating for anyone to change their current method for finding/returning discs, just use your head.

I love the noble intent, but from a practical standpoint, it just doesn't play out that way and it would be much more simple with much less moral baggage to return to finders keepers--which also seems more in keeping with the law of the land.

I'll hang up and listen.

If a disc has someone's name and phone number on it then your "finders keepers" philosophy is BS. Would you keep someone's wallet, purse, phone, etc that you find on the course? :wall:

To find a disc and consider it "intentionally abandoned" is laughable.

Kudos to the SE Michigan swamp man who dove into the pond last week at Northridge, in full on scuba gear with a tank and fins the whole 9 yards, and pulled out a ton of discs including my honey baby blue Star Tern. I tossed him 6 bucks for his work even though he didn't ask for anything.