• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

Sad to see governmental BS shut that down for public consumption.

I agree, the back 4 holes 7-11 at my local course the in town Steamboat Park course have a very high chance they get pulled for a Water Treatment facility and defiantly a 5th hole number 6 as well for a Bridge but hole 6 is very easy. The rest of the course is fine and should stand, I hope a small pice of land near the park the city owns they do not try to fit 4 or 5 holes as it could only squish an okay single hole on it that would have a good amount of ob on either side.

Last edited:
What's happening and do you have a timeframe?

Is it still maintained?

I like that course.

Soon for 24 months, New sewer line making the right away along 1-4, 7-9, 12 twice as wide and putting in new pipe. Sort of the exact same thing that happened through Hornet's Nest.

Just pondering this morning whether, when disc golf courses die, they go to heaven. I sure hope so, because when I get there I really want to play some of them again. And perhaps some of the other legends I never saw.

Though with some concern that I'll come to on the original Cape May course, and know what the verdict on my life was.

Dalaiwood DGC in Ollala, WA. Was shut down in 2016/17 because of zoning and permit violations. On the Property of Scott Papa's, of team Discraft, house and shop. Such an Awesome, physically and mentally demanding course. Miss it a ton and Sad I'll never go back.

Ozark Mountain, which is currently on life support but the plug will be pulled very soon. Ozark Mountain was the first of its kind when installed in 2000-2001. Even to this day there is very little that compare to it IMO.
I think I played my last round out there Friday. Kevin (who lives on site) said the front 9 of Ozark Mountain had been pulled, but the holes were back in this past weekend for an event. He said his understanding was that the front nine was going to be pulled on Sunday after the event and those holes are history.

I by no means got the straight story, but it seems the property has been parceled and the part with the front 9 of Ozark is sold. The sale of the property where the back 9 or Ozark, Akita's and Spencer Davis are is pending, not sure if that's all one chunk or multiple parcels. The owner said he "hoped" the new owners would consider leaving the courses, but that's hunting land and whoever buys it probably will have a) no interest in upkeep of a disc golf course and b) no interest in worrying about Frisbee freaks being out there while they are hunting. Probably by the end of October, all three will be gone.

The owner said he "hoped" the new owners would consider leaving the courses, but that's hunting land and whoever buys it probably will have a) no interest in upkeep of a disc golf course and b) no interest in worrying about Frisbee freaks being out there while they are hunting. Probably by the end of October, all three will be gone.

What about hunting for frisbee freaks? :eek:

... or not. :rolleyes:

Just looking for ways to make keeping the courses in the ground more attractive to the subsequent owner(s).

Last edited:
What's happening and do you have a timeframe?

Is it still maintained?

I like that course.

I played RL in October, after my first visit to the USDGC.
2-4 are pretty overgrown with #2 being the worst. The rest of the course is playable, just a little rough around the edges. I wrote a review on it recently for more details.
1978 clued me in on the plans for the property, so if you want to play it again, in its current layout, you better get out there!

Elsewhere on this site is a thread announcing the rebirth of Holler in the Hills.

While the extinction of great private courses is a far-too-common occurrence, the re-incarnation of them is exceedingly rare.

Holler is by far the best extinct course that I've played. I'm really excited to hear that it's on it's way back from the dead.

zombieland-bill-murray.jpg

I think I played my last round out there Friday. Kevin (who lives on site) said the front 9 of Ozark Mountain had been pulled, but the holes were back in this past weekend for an event. He said his understanding was that the front nine was going to be pulled on Sunday after the event and those holes are history.

I by no means got the straight story, but it seems the property has been parceled and the part with the front 9 of Ozark is sold. The sale of the property where the back 9 or Ozark, Akita's and Spencer Davis are is pending, not sure if that's all one chunk or multiple parcels. The owner said he "hoped" the new owners would consider leaving the courses, but that's hunting land and whoever buys it probably will have a) no interest in upkeep of a disc golf course and b) no interest in worrying about Frisbee freaks being out there while they are hunting. Probably by the end of October, all three will be gone.

I pulled up this thread hoping to find better news about Ozark Mtn cuz I just noticed they've been RIP'ed. What a bummer. Only got to go there once for a tourney but had been hoping to go back at some point. Almost stopped on my trip to Harmony Bends but I didn't really have the time to do it right.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna buy all the land every great, extinct course was on and restore them.

Apparently Jarva is going to join this list.

It's been a rocky couple of years.

Hi if we could get more info on why granite mountain is closing, they just had a nice tournament out there. Do t give an explanation on their Facebook page either. Any info would be much appreciated, almost got to go this year was planning for next.

There was a resurrection this Easter...

Attachments

• DSC_1133.jpg
    DSC_1133.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_1120.jpg
    DSC_1120.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 50
There was a resurrection this Easter...

Elsewhere on this site is a thread announcing the rebirth of Holler in the Hills.

While the extinction of great private courses is a far-too-common occurrence, the re-incarnation of them is exceedingly rare.

I'm not sure if that counts as an actual re-birth---if the course hadn't actually died, there were only faint hopes of it coming out of its coma---but it's pretty close. Great news, from the other side of the world.

What happened to RL Smith in Charlotte?

I just played it like less than 2 weeks ago and it's now marked as extinct....

What happened to RL Smith in Charlotte?

I just played it like less than 2 weeks ago and it's now marked as extinct....

It's closing has been imminent for what seems like two years. I can't recall the details, but some sort of construction---utility construction or new park facilities or something---but I've been seeing notices of the first few holes being poorly maintained for these reasons.

I only played it once but found it to be a very fun course.