• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In the bag and various thoughts of a middling MA2

Thanks Biscoe!

Looking at upcoming tournaments, any thoughts on that NG tournament thing @ Lake Marshall? I can't tell how legit the whole NG thing is at all. I would sign up for the Lair Championship but I'm busy that weekend.

While I strongly disagree with giving away cars to "amateurs" the Virginia NG stuff is being run by Ed Merry who is a good dude.

Bring your partner to the Doubles on the Lake on the 25th of this month.

New to the bag, I'm not sure when I'm gonna throw it, but the Factory store champion circle stamp Gazelles are money. Perfect amount of stability, sneaky long.
YxjUche.jpg

Threw Franklin mixed layout Friday, Turkey Hill mixed layout today. Shot low 60's both times. Today was a low key trash fire round held together with some shockingly solid putting. I think I've finally found a putting stroke I like and feel confident with.
Things I've been throwing
D1 - Been throwing these for the majority of my backhand distance shots. Got a proto D1 and a beat in 400 workhorse, little bit of turn, solid fade and very trustworthy even in wind. Got a flat early 400 which is mondo overstable, don't throw this much. Then I got a 400G, newer run big D1 stamp. It's interesting because the top wing on all my 400s is kind of concave, but the newer 400G is straight/convex. It's got quite a bit of turn but goes crazy far

Wraith - still love flippy star wraiths for turnovers and sidearms. Got my old metal flake one back from Franklin and it's a great headwind driver that just glides.

Starfire - I keep trying thunderbirds and keep coming back to the starfire well. Great speed 10 straight to fade driver

Firebird - got a sick new 2019 sexybird in the bag. It's overstable

Trident - For flicks, more workable than the firebird

F1 - 1 750 OS f1.

3x F2 one straight, one with a lil wiggle one hyzerflip. I took the uberflippy one out and actually missed it on a hole today. It's hilarious what you can do with dumb level flippy discs.

Gazelle - for shorter flicks or backhand shots a bit longer than a mid

M2 - go to straight to fade mid

Comet - beeg beeg turnovers and shanks into trees

breaker - OS putter things

2x PA4 - fresh 400 and beat 300 - almost all upshots and straight putter shots

Stego - forehand rollers that go the wrong way and dumb things.

Blockhouse will tear anyone apart who is having a slightly off day. When I played it the week before I didn't play 3 from the long, still got I think a 5 from the shorter pad. 2 from the long I feel is just as tough. Watching lead card mpo shred both holes was unreal.

It was amusing to see P McB pull a triple bogey 6 on Hole 8 on the darkside. Not a rough hole but man the rough is rough on any hole.

I agree that 5 on sunny is harder than 3. But then 5 long is a lefty hole. :)

Congrats on the MDX win.

It was amusing to see P McB pull a triple bogey 6 on Hole 8 on the darkside. Not a rough hole but man the rough is rough on any hole.

I agree that 5 on sunny is harder than 3. But then 5 long is a lefty hole. :)

Congrats on the MDX win.

That was just as mind boggling to see. Especially because if you watched Jomez coverage of masters cup, which was the weekend before, he took a triple 6 on a hole there and it was his 7th triple in his last 2500 udisc holes or something insane, and then he goes and takes another one at blockhouse the next weekend.

Ratings bumped me up +6 to 927. The adjustment on my 3rd round at MDX pushed it to a 990 rated round which is the best round I've ever thrown by 19 points.

Disc related -
The gazelle is probably gonna stay in my bag but I'm unsure to capacity for it. I was hoping it would take over M1 shots but it wont. Probably will take out one of the F1s or F2s

750 PA4 does have just that little bit of stability. I've got a feeling this new one is gonna be absolutely money.

The new Seppo PA1s look amazing, but I'm not sure they'll replace breakers for me. My friend has some of the sky god P2s and we always joke that every single throw he does with them is bad, and we're usually right. I find the PA1 feel similar in the hand, which is to say I like neither the P2 nor PA1 as they feel too deep.

27 at Seneca from the whites - 96. Pretty good round, I forgot that the white tees were the long tees for most holes. It's a hard course and I had a couple blow up holes but I always enjoy playing it. Mosquitoes were HORRIBLE in the woods.
18 at Rockland from shorts - 67 :gross: :sick: :eek: Awful Awful round. Only redeeming things were that I got my old favorite * wraith from the pond on 18 and I 2'd hole 13, which is the only must get that I indeed got. They also mowed the majority of fairways finally, the rough is brutal though. Lost a Trident somewhere on the right on hole 9.

Things I've changed up in the bag recently. Out went the blue/green 400g PA4, in goes the new 750 PA4, it's just a little bit more HSS and the plastic is great.
Tinkering with the Seppo PA1 over the breakers. It's definitely just as stable, however I doubt this is a permanent switch. I like the bead on the Breaker more for flicks and I enjoy the shallowness of the Breaker.
My friend has an old 400G F7 that's been passed around our friend group for years, but only thrown like 4 times. So I swapped out my flippiest F2 for it. It's still not quite flippy enough for easy rollers though.
Been rocking a 4 wraith set up since I got my MF wraith back. 1 MF, 1 Glow, and 2 flippier * wraiths. It's a nice balanced driver set up. Doesn't go quite as long as some of the D1's sheerly from the wider rim of the D1.

27 at Seneca from the whites - 96. Pretty good round, I forgot that the white tees were the long tees for most holes. It's a hard course and I had a couple blow up holes but I always enjoy playing it. Mosquitoes were HORRIBLE in the woods.
18 at Rockland from shorts - 67 :gross: :sick: :eek: Awful Awful round. Only redeeming things were that I got my old favorite * wraith from the pond on 18 and I 2'd hole 13, which is the only must get that I indeed got. They also mowed the majority of fairways finally, the rough is brutal though. Lost a Trident somewhere on the right on hole 9.

Things I've changed up in the bag recently. Out went the blue/green 400g PA4, in goes the new 750 PA4, it's just a little bit more HSS and the plastic is great.
Tinkering with the Seppo PA1 over the breakers. It's definitely just as stable, however I doubt this is a permanent switch. I like the bead on the Breaker more for flicks and I enjoy the shallowness of the Breaker.
My friend has an old 400G F7 that's been passed around our friend group for years, but only thrown like 4 times. So I swapped out my flippiest F2 for it. It's still not quite flippy enough for easy rollers though.
Been rocking a 4 wraith set up since I got my MF wraith back. 1 MF, 1 Glow, and 2 flippier * wraiths. It's a nice balanced driver set up. Doesn't go quite as long as some of the D1's sheerly from the wider rim of the D1.
I'll keep an eye out for the trident. There's not much left on the right side of 9 these days. I'll hopefully be getting 18 in tomorrow.

I didn't see the Trident when I went through though I didn't end up in the briars on 9 and didn't want to go in when I didn't have too.

Probably gonna spin it again tomorrow.

Also: Biscoe, I can't make doubles on the lake. I'd love to but I'm working and my preferred partner is taking his little brother to a Phillies game. Lake Marshall is fantastic!

I would avoid briars too, if I could just stop throwing right into the middle of them...

I'm glad they finally mowed most of Rockland, the roughs are still very rough though. Would be nice if Apple Valley could get some sort of partnership with the park. If there was a way to keep like a weedeater and pushmower on site I wouldn't mind putting in some post-round work from time to time to keep it up.

Bag/disc news
Picked up 2 other wraiths, a super beat flippy Pro and a newer hyzerflip bottom stamp *. Pro wraith is going straight into the bag.
Friend gave me another 750G D2. That D2 run just goes so far, and I lost my backup doing fieldwork so it's nice to have another backup. I'm borrowing an A1 from the same friend to compare to the Stego, though I doubt it's as much of a trickshot disc.
Someone wanted to trade me for something so I ended up picking out a 400G D3 from his box. Bout the same distance/flip as the 750G D2
I also have a ton of shot overlap with Gazelle, Trident, FB and F1 (think fresh new teebird stable). I'm not sure if I want to bother trimming that section of my bag but it's a place I could.

I don't think I can do this Sunday but I've been eyeing the Gyro Blockhouse event, Flying Lotus, NG at Lake Marshall, and Maurertown Fly. I'm currently just signed up for WVO.

Oh I just noticed a tourny at Rockland, so I'll have to be sure to show for that. Gotta defend the turf lol.

Found some of my missing Tridents at Rockland.
Shot a 59 (second time I've broken 60 I believe) from shorts.
Still rolling with just Wraiths for distance.
A1 is a poor stego substitute.
92% C1x putting which is great.
Gazelle is so much fun to throw, been really digging it lately.

Been a minute. Been playing some, but bag hasn't been changing much.
18 at Spilman
2x Wraith
F1
Trident
2x F2
M2
Comet
2x PA4
A1
PA3

Someone has gone and spray painted some long pads for some of the holes at Spilman, but not all of them are well thought out. I tried 4b and 8b. 4b was ok, 8 b just pushes it back 5' and takes away the line lol.
Anyway shot a 53 including a lost disc 6 on 4b.
Also included my first ace! Hole 9 with a PA4, missed my line off to the right a little and it hyzer finished right in dead center.

2 rounds of 18 for red white and blockhouse. 1 round darkside, 1 round sunnyside in the 2 Days in May layout.
Shot a 58 darkside and a 64 sunnyside. Missed 6 inside the circle putts on that second round, which is pretty awful compared to how I have been doing. Only dropped 1 inside the circle putt on that first round. Finished 7/12 for my first advanced tourny.

5 Wraiths (MF, Glow, 2*, Pro)
Starfire
Firebird
Gazelle
F1
2 F2
F7
M2
Comet
A1
Breaker
3 PA4
Stego
2 PA3

I'm taking the A1 out as I didn't have any good shots with it this weekend. Also not sure I'm gonna keep the gazelle in there moving forward. I could trim a lot of fairway space especially cause putters take up so much space and having a gamut of PA4's is really nice.

Front 18 at my favorite course, Harmon Hills. It's pretty freshly mowed for a tournament recently, which was fantastic. Shot a 68
5 Wraiths
Starfire
Trident
F1
2 F2
F7
Comet
M2
M1
3 PA4s
Breaker
2 PA3s
Stego

18 holes I'd rather forget at Mayflower Hills. The course was in great shape, and fun to play, if a little exhausting from all the elevation. One of my worst rounds in a while.
Only bag changes was that I swapped out my two bookend OS Wraiths (MF and Glow) for 2 D1's since I haven't thrown them in a while. And I lost a starfire immediately on hole 1.

Luckily my affliction at Mayflower seemed to be a temporary condition. Was throwin a heater at Rockland shorts before the wheels fell off on the last two holes. Had a nice 83% c1x putting, parked a couple holes. Took a lost disc 5 on 17 and a 4 on 18 to end with a 58. Shanked a forehand way off to the left and it never came back and off the fairway on 17 is ROUGH.

Managed to pull off the backhand roller play on 16 again which is always funny.

D1
3 Wraiths
Champ Thunderbird
2 Tridents
F1
2 F2
F7
M3X
M2
Comet
2 PA4
Breaker
Stego
2 PA3

A friend picked me up one of the spectrum glimmer M3Xs from AM worlds, I'm digging it after throwing it a couple times. Very similar to the M2 I've had in my bag for the past 3 years, but a little bit more overstability and maybe more glide.

Also nabbed one of the infinite metal flake tridents, fantastic run of tridents

QR2w8GW.jpg

Shot a terrible 61 at JB park last night for Apple Valley tags. I haven't played OR practiced putting in over a week and yeesh it showed. Tag #40 here I go!

Bag changes;
Slipped a slightly used D3 in, probably won't stay. Wraiths are much more workable for the shots I'd use it for.
I like D1's but flippier D series discs are just too speed sensitive for me I think. If I could throw consistently harder or softer it wouldn't be an issue, I'm just in a weird spot.
Bagged the new Opto Trident, it's goooood, better than the moonshines they ran a couple years ago.
Swapped F7 to reeeeeal beat up F2 and threw a great roller on 16 with it.
Kept the MX3 in, I'm liking it so far. Also got to feel up a 350g version, it's basically a small bead KC Roc. I can see this disc being a big hit.
Need to slide a Firebird back in, even if I don't throw them terribly often with how stable they are.

Tournaments coming up; Maurertown FLY, WVO, Cardinal, Duck Golf

Others; Possibly Hawk Hollow on the 11th, Something secret in October I'm cooking up