• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Infamous Holes!

It is mean.... I always opt out of playing Renny Gold and just end up playing the original layout. I dont want to be fishing my discs out of that trench every time I go there (cuz I know I will if I throw on that hole) so I just play the original hole #2's basket and even that basket is close to that ravine!

It is mean.... I always opt out of playing Renny Gold and just end up playing the original layout. I dont want to be fishing my discs out of that trench every time I go there (cuz I know I will if I throw on that hole) so I just play the original hole #2's basket and even that basket is close to that ravine!

Ugh, I lost a Star Teebird and a DX Roc to Renny original. That whole course is brutal.

I havnt been out to Renny in awhile. Its way to wet right now and that course holds/retains more h2o than Kirstie Alley's cankles.

Freedlander in Wooster, OH has a couple of somewhat infamous holes.

This is #9- you can't see the pin, but it is guarded by the grove of trees to the right you can see over that dock. (264') The water is very deep! I was there when it was drained - drops quick to about 15' deep.
a9dcabca_m.jpg

Here is the short tee - you can kind of make out where the pin is in that grove:
7ca7240e_m.jpg

Hole 2 at Freedlander has a drop off right after the tee. The basket is blind to the left behind all that shule. (273')
e8d83097_m.jpg

Here's an infamous shot across water and through a "window" in the island trees to an elevated tee atop a high bank. It's hole #16 from the extinct Crawford Memorial Park in Dallas.

craw^_16^_detail.JPG

Last edited:
Seriously those are teepads? That is crazy messed up! You need a boat to get to c and d positions? Talk about intimidating!

hole 12 at turner park its called snake river you have to cross a winding creek 5 times and the basket is surrounded and it is wooded

lots of trees if u miss the line you r screwed and wet you have a 30 by 30 landing zone surrounded by water but it is very very fun

A couple dreaded water holes
Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC - several of the holes over water present serious "lost disc" danger, but #15 might be the most recognizable.
8d14e2bc.jpg

#9 at Tidal Creek in Charleston, SC. Short hole, only 156 feet, but it's over water. And when the underbrush hasn't been cleared away, it almost eliminates any straight shot towards the basket. I've always played my junk discs on this hole.
98cb72ee.jpg

Seriously those are teepads? That is crazy messed up! You need a boat to get to c and d positions? Talk about intimidating!

Sorry for the confusion. All those pics are references for what you see when throwing from the blue tee (using zoom on the camera). The white tee is located almost where I'm standing to take that panoramic shot, so it's still a throw across water just with the island taken out of play. The red tee is along the bank closest to the basket and has a narrow fairway cut out through the trees for those who don't want to risk a curving shot (anhyzer for right-handed backhand throws) over the pond. Tough shots all around.

craw_16_white.jpg

craw_16_red.jpg

Hole #8 at Castle Hayne, NC. ~200' hyzer to start this long, winding 700' par 5. Doesn't look like much but there's a creek that runs along the right at the end of the slope and if you kick right on ANY of those trees you have a 75% chance of watching your disc roll right into the nastiest, deepest creek water I've ever seen.
932b298d.jpg

This is on my home course and I'm LHBH.
If you think a hyzer around that corner is tough, try to anhyzer it...
You just need to play this course to understand how tough this hole is. The picture doesn't really do it justice.
The local PIAS has made hundreds of dollars from found discs from just this hole.
Personally, I carry a floating #1 Slice just for that one tee-shot. So far I've lost a Z-Pred 3 times, a Monarch, an X-Stratus, and an Orc (all returned by Stu or from my disc-diving) before I started using the floater.
I HATE THAT TEE SHOT!!. I'll occasionally just skip it.
Oh, and the stream follows the right-hand side of the entire 700'.
Toughest hole on a very tough course.
Thanks for the post BrotherDave.

Last edited:
until i saw these holes i thought i had designed some marginal holes over the years at some places... turns out they're all totally fair!