• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

I just know what I can see. Those external gates/brackets look bad and I'm not sure I even think that should be legal (all other discs are of a completely uniform shape).

If that's the case, how'd the Ion get approved? The "bead" portion of the early mold was never uniform.

You say you're not hating, but you sure seem to make sure that everyone knows that MVP is clearly the scientist and Innova clearly the clown.

If MVP debuted with the Atlas they wouldn't be in business. Why do you seem annoyed that I have opinions and make inferences from available information?

I'm not annoyed in the least. I find the DGCR speculation amusing, as well as the things espoused as "fact".

Why are people talking about the gyro effect not working on the Atlas? Innova designed this with a grippy rim and a stiff flight plate to have the best of both worlds as far as texture/feel and flight...nothing about gyro.

Why are people talking about the gyro effect not working on the Atlas? Innova designed this with a grippy rim and a stiff flight plate to have the best of both worlds as far as texture/feel and flight...nothing about gyro.

How do you know there gyroscopics weren't taken into account? Just because it wasn't explicitly mentioned, doesn't mean that it wasn't a factor. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

How do you know there gyroscopics weren't taken into account? Just because it wasn't explicitly mentioned, doesn't mean that it wasn't a factor. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

True. It very well could have been, but if marketed as such would have caused even more uproar. Instead, the feel was emphasized. Good move.

Just to be clear, I don't have an opinion on the Atlas, or the relation to MVP. I like to reserve judgement until I actual throw the thing. With regards to the technology/design; I, like just about everyone else on this forum have very little actual information, so it is difficult to form an informed opinion. I do find the level of emotion that certain disc golfers have about their discs, or favorite manufacturer quite entertaining. Also, the "facts" that people have presented are laughable at best.

If that's the case, how'd the Ion get approved? The "bead" portion of the early mold was never uniform.

You say you're not hating, but you sure seem to make sure that everyone knows that MVP is clearly the scientist and Innova clearly the clown.

The design was uniform, it just took some fine tuning to get the execution there. I'm sure the Ion they sent to the PDGA was uniform:D. I can't think of any disc in disc golf that has knobs extruding from part of the disc.

It's hard for me to post objectively because I've been with MVP since day one and understand all of the issues and struggles they went through to get where they are. If it comes across like scientist/clown I guess that's a little hyperbole, but I'm VERY skeptical here. Also very excited and interested. Many of my Innova friends in town made fun of my overmolded discs when I first started throwing MVP.

FWIW, Innova probably can't talk about anything Gyro in their marketing due to patents and TMs.

Last edited:

I'm sure there are gyroscopics in there. Innova mentioning it would inevitably violate MVPs trademark and bring a nice legal battle their way. Since MVP isn't pushing "super grippy feel on the rim", Innova can say "we designed these discs this way for the feel" and counter with a defamation suit.

and it would blatantly show how useless their blizzard discs are. bubbles in the rim good lawd.

#atlasnubs

Considering one of their "useless" discs holds the world distance record, I find it difficult to label them as such.

I still have never thrown an MVP disc.

Try it. You won't be dissapointed.

I'll try any disc once. I am really curious how well the softer rim holds up to tree hits, honestly, and to see if Innova continues with this method of manufacturing.

Yeah, that stuff interests me too. I just can't see supporting Innova, buying something that looks like an MVP disc from someone else, and the disc I'm purchasing has stats similar to a Buzzz. I don't know why Innova did it like this.. A mid.. Should have done a driver.

Try it. You won't be dissapointed.

Yeah, that stuff interests me too. I just can't see supporting Innova, buying something that looks like an MVP disc from someone else, and the disc I'm purchasing has stats similar to a Buzzz. I don't know why Innova did it like this.. A mid.. Should have done a driver.

There are a ton of drivers on the market, too, so inevitably the numbers would have overlapped there, too. They are aiming for competitors. Plus, it might have Buzzz flight numbers and an MVP look, but feel like neither in the hand. There's still a ton we don't know about this disc until it actually lands in stores.

Considering one of their "useless" discs holds the world distance record, I find it difficult to label them as such.

That was broken pretty early on after the Blizzard release. Was it one of the good ones with the bubbles in the flightplate that they stopped making?

I've read a lot of disc reviews and tried a lot of molds in an attempt to buy a better game. I believe that most competitive players eventually settle on what works for them, commit to learn those discs, and when the pressure is on they throw what they know. I'm certain folks will find these discs cover the shots they need and I think its smart to buy Innova as one will have an easier time finding backups. As for the consistency debate that not all discs of the same mold and plastic fly the same out of the box, I'm okay with that as long as they feel similar in hand. Everyone knows that when you hit a few trees a disc's flight will change and I consider that a good thing given a seasoned mold will hit different lines.

For me, stable mids are a category that would be hard to change due to my hoarding of several backups that perform the flights I'm looking to cover. For example, I like the M4's grippy feel in hand but a beat in z buzzz covers those same lines. However for me, the M4 did not cover the same lines that a fresh z buzzz easily hits. Regarding keeping up with new disc technology, the simple XXXXXX tooled on the inner rim of the Pred added grip for me but isn't enough to trump the more overstable FB's flight. The thing about my plastic addiction is that I just don't know for sure if I'm missing something significantly better until I give it a try myself thus the 300+ MP and other online deals:eek:

For the Haters with post counts greater than triple your rating or spend more time typing about DG than playing, hate hate hate. I've been an Ion putter/driver for the last two years and had to use a control grip instead of my power grip to get clean drives due to the curved inner rim. I really liked the stable lines the Ion gave me but the Judge is working well for my putting duties. If I can get a stable gyro Innova driving putter with a better inner rim, I'd be happy:rolleyes:

Back to the speculation... I was thinking that if I could put the tip of my index finger in or around that dimple of the rivet for a better pinch and if the Atlas hits all the lines a fresh z buzzz excels at with some extra D then I might bag one just for the wow factor of the over mold. I think that baby blue rim looks sweet.

That was broken pretty early on after the Blizzard release. Was it one of the good ones with the bubbles in the flightplate that they stopped making?

I have no idea. I'm just saying that they are far from useless. I see them used quite a bit. Honestly, prior to your post about the good vs. bad Blizzard discs, I had no idea that there were good and bad runs.

Last edited:

Latest posts